Thread: Driving
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Learn how to properly adjust your car mirrors: http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...alkMirrors.pdf

If done right, you'll have almost no blind spot on just about anything you drive, even SUVs.

Eyes always watching. Pay attention to driver's attitudes all around your car. In particular for aggressive drivers. You have to be and aggressive driver in a City. In a town, no need. Defensive is the word you are looking for.

Look far down the road, not at the vehicle in front of you. How can you avoid objects and accidents if you're only looking at the road right in front of you?That's obvious, however... Are you tail gating this vehicle? Or are you giving the vehicle 4 Seconds ahead of you? 5 Seconds in poorer conditions.

Don't risk anything to avoid roadkill. Better to just hit the small animal instead of veering the car around. Large cats, however, are like hitting curbs with your tires. Aim to get them under the center of the car.Have you seen a moose before? Have you seen a bear before? Have you even driven in an area populated with larger animals other than Coyotes and Cougars?

Give big trucks (lorries?) lots of room. They're rolling bricks, they can't stop or turn quickly. Don't go cutting them off when you pass.Somewhat agree-able. However, you should have taken note on how many trailers if it is a Super B-Train, a single B train, Car Transport, etc. Does the load look heavy, those items.

Always look for bikers, they're smaller, and tend to move a lot. Don't get caught off guard by one.Door prize?

Know your vehicle. Goto a large empty parking lot, or street, do some high speed stops. 45- 60mph or so. Get used to how your car reacts. New drivers often are surprised by ABS kicking the pedal back some, and if no ABS, it's good to learn your braking limits. RWD cars- learn how to correct oversteer.
Do you get snow in Texas? How are you driving in a RWD vehicle. Are you standing on the accelerator while hydroplaning, or spinning out in snow or on ice? Come on. You don't attempt to correct oversteer in these cases, on snow and ice it's pretty hard to correct yourself. Come to hydroplaning, get off that pedal.

Carry a good tool kit in the trunk- enough fluids, jumper cables, tools (know what sizes you need), flashlight (LED kicks ***), and a spare shirt. For instance, Honda loved 10mm bolts in the CRX, so I kept a set of short and long socket 10mm, 10mm box wrench, extension, single ratchet, screw drivers. Was able to do a good bit of work in that car with that simple set. Hell, I could adjust the valves on the side of the road if needed, even with a simple tool kit.I'll agree on this.

And finally, be relaxed. Don't get frustrated with traffic, don't be nervous either. I'm sure some driver's-ed teachers say to be frightened (to some extent) is good. I disagree. Respect what you're driving, know it's ~3000 lbs of rolling steel.Road rage? Respecting what you drive, means you won't have to step out of your vehicle and fix it.
Fixed it to my thoughts.