Thread: Driving
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Learn how to properly adjust your car mirrors: http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...alkMirrors.pdf

If done right, you'll have almost no blind spot on just about anything you drive, even SUVs.

Eyes always watching. Pay attention to driver's attitudes all around your car. In particular for aggressive drivers.

Look far down the road, not at the vehicle in front of you. How can you avoid objects and accidents if you're only looking at the road right in front of you?

Don't risk anything to avoid roadkill. Better to just hit the small animal instead of veering the car around. Large cats, however, are like hitting curbs with your tires. Aim to get them under the center of the car.

Give big trucks (lorries?) lots of room. They're rolling bricks, they can't stop or turn quickly. Don't go cutting them off when you pass.

Always look for bikers, they're smaller, and tend to move a lot. Don't get caught off guard by one.

Know your vehicle. Goto a large empty parking lot, or street, do some high speed stops. 45- 60mph or so. Get used to how your car reacts. New drivers often are surprised by ABS kicking the pedal back some, and if no ABS, it's good to learn your braking limits. RWD cars- learn how to correct oversteer.

Carry a good tool kit in the trunk- enough fluids, jumper cables, tools (know what sizes you need), flashlight (LED kicks ***), and a spare shirt. For instance, Honda loved 10mm bolts in the CRX, so I kept a set of short and long socket 10mm, 10mm box wrench, extension, single ratchet, screw drivers. Was able to do a good bit of work in that car with that simple set. Hell, I could adjust the valves on the side of the road if needed, even with a simple tool kit.

And finally, be relaxed. Don't get frustrated with traffic, don't be nervous either. I'm sure some driver's-ed teachers say to be frightened (to some extent) is good. I disagree. Respect what you're driving, know it's ~3000 lbs of rolling steel.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-06-2010 at 03:02 PM..