View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
I also need to look into new U-Joints... I have a clunking/popping noise when I am driving. It happens at random times... when I'm braking.. or a small bump... even on turns.. or when I start up from a stop. The U-Joints are like 14 years old... so it's probably them. Either that or my brakes... which would be a super easy fix.

but if it's the axle I have no problem with laying down cash for a Dana 44.
I thought the 44 was standard on the rear?

U-Joints will clunk when you change from R to D, and vica versa. When they do die, they make a hellacious grinding noise that's like rocks being crushed, and also a constant scraping/whiring/whining noise as you put a load on it (acceleration). Needless to say, scary noises!

If the clunks came after the lift, check all suspension bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrain View Post
My truck makes a clunking/clanking sound, thought it was the U-Joint (Rear one) since that is were the sound was coming from, checked them turned out they were nice & solid & in perfect shape, so after some listening & driving we found out that my rear end is starting too wear out & causing it too slip & make a clanking sound. So now I have to shift my automatic manually to help baby/ save the rear end, since I can't afford to replace it right now.
Manually shifting an auto does nothing to save your rear end. Every mile you put down damages it more and more. GM axles are dirt cheap, I picked up a 3.73 12 bolt (stronger than yours) for $300.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere