View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday View Post
I apologize for the 2x post, but I really do agree with you...I would install Puppy but I'm scared to to be perfectly honest...I might try and burn an iso cd later on and use that. I hear a lot about how Puppy or OS's of that sort kind of breathe new life into pretty much dead pc's. I tried to install it to another pc and found out the disc drive was bad...and I couldn't boot from the usb properly either so I got discouraged....but im thinking I might try it here soon, IDK. but thanks.
Puppy isn't bad, but it's really less intuitive than many others. The prize winner in lightweight and cool is definitely Crunchbang Linux. It's got everything you need and runs a real lightweight window manager.

Try it if you have time. Your only issue is w/ a machine like that, you may not have enough RAM for a Live CD (Live CD's run in RAM and generally want 512mb to run decently), so doing a full install (won't take long even on such hardware) is your better option.

You'll have fully supported software in Linux rather than running legacy software on Win 98.

PM me if you need or want any help with this should you decide to try it.