View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
I guess voicing my opinion starts fights...so I'll stop going through the pointless threads, posting, and hopefully you won't get po'd, cool?
let me start by saying that i'm not trying to single out blt or anyone else.
he was just the first person to speak up.

(aimed at all members)
im not saying you cant voice your opinion but once should be plenty.(as far as pointless threads in general)
ok look, the way i've seen the current pointless threads turn into more is like this.
one person(mostly new members) has a problem or suggestion, they make a thread about it.
nothing wrong with that right?
sometimes there's the occasional member with the perverbial bug up their *** but for the most part most are just curious.

now, another person(mostly members who have been around for a bit) doesnt agree and posts a reply.(or may agree and adds a rude comment to back up their opinion"
still nothing wrong until you look at the reply(ies).
most of the time it's nothing more then an angry/condescending rebuttle intended to do nothing more then make the new member feel dumb for not having read the rules.
kinda like saying "haha, i've been here longer and i've already gotten banned for that....*******"
(add in 10 or so more similar and equally condescending replies within the couple hours it take the thread starter to reply and you have the makings for a flame war.)

by now the original poster may be a bit offended and multi quotes **** near every post before his except this time he adds in some equally rude remarks.
before the new member knows what hit them, they have half of the forum breathing down their neck mods included.
defence mode kicks in and all hell breaks loose.

now,the way i see it is, if you left your original reply to nothing more then why the rules exist or a possible solution to make them better,maybe leave out the condescending tones,everything would be peachy keen.

now, since i've already begun my diatraub,let me explain this from a mod POV.
as mods we have a duty to keep our members safe.
the BST section was put in place long before many of us were here,we're not going to remove it but we MUST keep the members as safe as we can.
when push comes to shove,there really isnt a whole lot that we can do about bad deals other then lock the BST privledges and ban members,neither of wich are going to rectify the problem.
so, we set the requirements high to prevent scammers from coming and taking advantage of the members.

when a mod sees a thread from a new member questioning the BST rules and basically talking down on the forum because of them they may get a bit offended by it. espescially when it's being repeated over and over,espescially when we're the ones who get the nasty PM's and have to try to sort your problems and even moreso when a member has already recieved infractions for neglecting to follow the predtermined rules.

another reason for mods to get offended is other members playing mod.
if you want to point a member to the rules and explain how they've broken them then that's fine but then bans and infractions get brought up.
mods get ****ed about this because it isnt up to anyone but the mods as to who gets points or banned and when a member tells another that their gonna get banned for bringing up an old post or voicing their opinion it makes us look like powerhungry,banstick wielding nazi's.
i believe there are a few members here that can attest to the fact that we're not.
there are quite a few members here that have gotten away with murder and it's because the mods actually believe that everyone has the potential,some just choose to ignore it or are only out to gain profit from others misfortune.
you guys may have noticed that instead of outright banning the latest string of troublemakers,we gave them the benefit of the doubt to show us that they can participate and not stir up a storm cloud every time they get bored or someone ****es in their cornflakes.
i hate to bring him up but Spade is a perfect example.

his fifth post was a stab at XMS and the staff. he racked up enough infractions in his first three days here to buy himself a week long vacation.
instead of letting it go he came back and started right where he left off.
that right there should have bought him a perm ban but we gave him the benefit of the doubt and he got more points,got himself banned for two weeks and instead of getting a clue,he got perm banned the same day he came back for the same reasons.

we dont need crap like that and we're bending over backwards to try to please everyone and not look like(i hate to use this term) old school XMS...

soap box mode off: