XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   General XMODs (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New Member with some questions about a Toyota Supra I got for a quarter (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19207)

Fletch 05-30-2010 08:49 AM

New Member with some questions about a Toyota Supra I got for a quarter

New member here! Hello to all!! Well, to start, I have always wanted something like this but just never thought about spending the money. Anyway, I go to a Toy Sale every few months and found the Toyota Supra XMODs Custom RC for a shiny quarter. The main reason I picked it up was that it had 4 nickel metal hydride batteries. That alone was worth the price. Well, when I got it home I noticed right away that the size of the motor was very large for the size of the car.

So I have a few questions:
What frequency does this RC use? I am fairly sure it is 27.195 for the remote but I am not 100% sure.

Where do I get another remote? (I have seen them on Ebay for $16 shipped)

How fast do these cars go?

Thank you for any help

jimmythekid1 05-30-2010 09:31 AM

They can pretty quick if you want to spend the money. They are pretty fun to drive stock too.

Atomic mods has lots of tutorials(as well as this site), and all the go fast products you could ever want.
http://www.atomicmods.com/

There are a few other sites that used to be around as I'm sure other members can provide some links.

Bananabrain 05-30-2010 09:41 AM

Welcome to the forum, pretty cool that you found an xmod for a quarter and a Supra at that, I payed $6 fr mine and I thought that was cheap and it came with a bodykit and came witha few upgrades, as for sites with tutorials and other things here are few:

Atomicmods as already stated:
http://www.atomicmods.com/

Xmodsforum:
http://www.xmodsforum.co.uk/

Xmodsinternational:
http://www.xmodsinternational.com/

mycrors4 05-30-2010 11:59 AM

stock, they should go around 12mph, a fun speed..

upgraded, they can go up to 60mph and even faster(under heavy modification)

there are 12 different frequencies, but they are all in the 27mhz range.. the most common ive seen is 27.045 and 27.145

hope that helps!

oh and thats a sweeet deal u found, i bought my supra for $30ish, and it came with no batts, but it was slightly upgraded

FloydfanYodaman 05-30-2010 02:18 PM

and there is always ebay...i'm sure you can find a remote or crystals on there for cheap...besides get a good start on a new addiction LOL...

Fletch 05-30-2010 05:18 PM

I found an auciton on Ebay for a remote thatt states:
This auction is for a NEW Xmod / Evolution REMOTE CONTROL with ANTENA AND TWO CRYSTALS.

CRYSTAL FREQUENCY COULD BE ANY NUMBER. UNLESS SPECIFIC BAND REQUESTED.

The 2 crystals? One for the remote and one for the car? The car has a 'crystal' with a number 5 on it. I would assume that is what I should ask for when I purchase the remote control.

The motor reads: Stage 2 Teeth 11 RPM 30K

Anyone help me with those numbers and there meaning. I guess I just don;t know if that is stock or if maybe they upgraded.

Thank you all for the help. The Mrs does not seem too excited with my new hobby, oh well, she'll get over it. At the very least I'd like to get a remote just to see how fast this little bugger can go. :bigwink:

Bananabrain 05-30-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 257873)
I found an auciton on Ebay for a remote thatt states:
This auction is for a NEW Xmod / Evolution REMOTE CONTROL with ANTENA AND TWO CRYSTALS.

CRYSTAL FREQUENCY COULD BE ANY NUMBER. UNLESS SPECIFIC BAND REQUESTED.

The 2 crystals? One for the remote and one for the car? The car has a 'crystal' with a number 5 on it. I would assume that is what I should ask for when I purchase the remote control.

The motor reads: Stage 2 Teeth 11 RPM 30K

Anyone help me with those numbers and there meaning. I guess I just don;t know if that is stock or if maybe they upgraded.

Thank you all for the help. The Mrs does not seem too excited with my new hobby, oh well, she'll get over it. At the very least I'd like to get a remote just to see how fast this little bugger can go. :bigwink:

It means that it comes with two crystals one for the car and one for the remote. If the car says crystal 5 then you can request for the crystal #5. As for the motor it is an upgraded one that came with the stage two motor kit, and 11 teeth means thats how many teeth the brass pinion has on the motor and the 30k rpms means how powerful it is, like the stage 1 is 26k and is more torque and the higher the rpm the faster it can go.

mr.hotrod 05-30-2010 07:35 PM

anyone remember the speeds the super street magazine had on that motor? I dont wanna dig mine out lol

mycrors4 05-30-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.hotrod (Post 257877)
anyone remember the speeds the super street magazine had on that motor? I dont wanna dig mine out lol

i believe it was stated 16mph for the stage 2, but i dont wanna dig mine out either

Fletch 06-01-2010 10:33 AM

Thanks for all of the help. I think I will get a remote off of that auction site.

One last question - my car seems to be missing the antenna. Is that something I can get easily?

lol 06-01-2010 04:21 PM

You can make one yourself easily from a straw and some wire.

Action B 06-01-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lol (Post 257947)
You can make one yourself easily from a straw and some wire.

Hobby wire form a hobby shop works well too.

bnR34 06-01-2010 06:35 PM

i would like to help you out. check your private messages before you hit up ebay.. also, are you able to post a pic of th top without the body, just a top shot of the chassis to see just what antenna part you need. there should be a wire coming out of the front by the steering servo going towards the rear.

Fletch 06-02-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnR34 (Post 257964)
i would like to help you out. check your private messages before you hit up ebay.. also, are you able to post a pic of th top without the body, just a top shot of the chassis to see just what antenna part you need. there should be a wire coming out of the front by the steering servo going towards the rear.

Thanks bnR34!! I am sending a PM to you now.

I am not able to post a pic as I am having some problems with Photobucket. Looking at the car it looks like there is a wire coming from the front to the back. This wire is underneath a screw which is attached to a piece of metal with some solder on it. It looks like that is what the antenna should be attached to. I would assume I would solder a new antenna to that metal post.

Thanks for the ideas on a new antenna guys!!!

mycrors4 06-02-2010 09:55 AM

well soldering the antenna is one idea, but that peice of metal should have a hole.. and the rear right side of the rear tower, there is a part that sticks out, screw the plate down there... with the antenna underneath the plate

Fletch 06-02-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycrors4 (Post 258005)
well soldering the antenna is one idea, but that peice of metal should have a hole.. and the rear right side of the rear tower, there is a part that sticks out, screw the plate down there... with the antenna underneath the plate

So the wire that comes from the front of the car's steering servo should be one piece all the way to the top of the antenna? It looks as if the wire broke just past were the metal plate that should have the hole in it. Hope that makes sense. I have a couple of pictures of it. I have to get the pics down to 97kb to post to the forum though.

bnR34 06-02-2010 11:08 AM

i post pics using tinypic.com its pretty easy as it gives the option to resize for a forum and then copy and paste the link to a post on here

Fletch 06-02-2010 12:12 PM

Thanks - just registered with Tinypic. Here's the pic:
http://i47.tinypic.com/qq77fr.jpg

Looks like I am missing part of the plate and the rest of the antenna.

XMDrifter 06-02-2010 12:32 PM

you're not missing the plate, you're just missing the antenna. they're pretty inexpensive to get. you can get one for a buck or so from atomicmods or xmodsinternational. (best bet is XmodsInternational because they've got free shipping)

Fletch 06-02-2010 01:42 PM

Looks like they appear to both be sold out. Looks like I will just make one if I cannot find a replacement. Any type of wire will do?