XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   General XMODs (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   first gen binding trouble (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19173)

bnR34 05-20-2010 07:54 PM

first gen binding trouble

i built a first gen from parts i had and its AWD and full bearings, stage 2 and tight turns mod. when i first drove it, it seems very slow in comparison to my other 1st gens. so i thought, maybe the drive train somewhere is not installed correctly.. i start to take it apart and as soon as the motor is removed everything moves smoothly. i tried another motor but no matter which one i put in it, it seems to bind. when i put power to it with the control and then let off the trigger the wheels stop immediately with absolutely no free rolling at all. like brakes. anyony have an idea what this may be?

zippo855 05-20-2010 07:56 PM

loosen the motor a little bit after you install it. i have a few that over time as the mount gets compressed some you are actually too tight. try that and see how it works. i couldnt imagine several motors having the same internal issues to cause binding so id start there.

Kaze 05-20-2010 08:10 PM

uh probably the most obvious of questions, but is your Motor pinion and bevel gears the proper ones? (yellow motor with yellow gear, etc.)

96SVT281 05-20-2010 08:12 PM

Did you take the back motor mount off completely if so tightening the front mount will cause binding

bnR34 05-20-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippo855 (Post 257422)
loosen the motor a little bit after you install it. i have a few that over time as the mount gets compressed some you are actually too tight. try that and see how it works. i couldnt imagine several motors having the same internal issues to cause binding so id start there.

i tried that. didnt work..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaze (Post 257426)
uh probably the most obvious of questions, but is your Motor pinion and bevel gears the proper ones? (yellow motor with yellow gear, etc.)

they are matched correctly
Quote:

Originally Posted by 96SVT281 (Post 257428)
Did you take the back motor mount off completely if so tightening the front mount will cause binding

i did nothing with the rear mount. its still on the car.

xmodsunlimited 05-20-2010 10:25 PM

I had the same problem. When you take the motor out and roll it does the drive shaft seem warped? Or is it something with your electronics? The remote, the motor wires connected to the EP, etc. Make sure all the wires are properly attached. Also try switching the controller or even the crystals you are using, they could have failed. Just some ideas.
Hope you fix it.

-XMU

Kaze 05-20-2010 10:49 PM

Does the motor rotate when you manually spin the pinion on it? (when it's removed from the car)

bnR34 05-21-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaze (Post 257460)
Does the motor rotate when you manually spin the pinion on it? (when it's removed from the car)

it spins just like all the others.

Bananabrain 05-21-2010 02:09 PM

Sounds like either the screws holding the motor down are too tight, or something is warped in the drivetrain causeing it too bind up when you run it with the motor. But roll freely when you have the motor out of it. So probable you driveshaft is warped, or you are missing a bearing/bushing in the drivetrain area.

bnR34 05-21-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananabrain (Post 257471)
Sounds like either the screws holding the motor down are too tight, or something is warped in the drivetrain causeing it too bind up when you run it with the motor. But roll freely when you have the motor out of it. So probable you driveshaft is warped, or you are missing a bearing/bushing in the drivetrain area.

ill try to replace the shaft. all bearings are there so i guess thats all there is left to check..

xmodsunlimited 05-21-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananabrain (Post 257471)

Pretty Sure I just said that...:uhoh: :p LOL
I agree with BANANABRAIN
also How do the wires look on the board?

It could be electrical.

Bananabrain 05-21-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmodsunlimited (Post 257478)
Pretty Sure I just said that...:uhoh: :p LOL
I agree with BANANABRAIN
also How do the wires look on the board?

It could be electrical.

Woops. lol

I didn't read what yours said. lol

xmodsunlimited 05-21-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananabrain (Post 257480)
Woops. lol

I didn't read what yours said. lol

No problem just messin wit ya.:bigwink:

Idea for GEN.1 Problem.......... Take the controller and crystals from this car and use them on another one. See if the same thing happens. If it does, then thats your problem. If it doesn't then you know that it's not.....(wow thanks cpn obvious.:) )