XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   XMOD Electronics (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Cell phone lions in XMs? (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15050)

Skv012a 11-29-2008 10:59 PM

Cell phone lions in XMs?

Could someone please tell me what voltage XMs require to run at all, whats optimal, and whats max allowed before frying it? I might just hardwire a phone lion in to see how it would work. Given it supplies a steady, max voltage until it runs dry, this should work. Then they're MUCH easier to charge, cheaper to buy, and may outlast our current available lion packages.

SPR 11-29-2008 11:04 PM

wouldnt be worth a ****. phones only run on 3 something volts. xmods stock run on 6 volts. Stock board handle up to 7.2 voltes which is what the lithium upgrades you buy for these run.

Cell phone batterys are just a waste.

Scionbeave 11-29-2008 11:06 PM

Whats a phone lion?dont u mean lith-ion? lol

texan_idiot25 11-29-2008 11:11 PM

http://www.littletikes.com/productim...4A_OL_full.jpg

Cell Phone Lions.

But, in reality, unless your 100 % confident with soldering with bombs, you should by all means stay away from cell phone batts. They needs lots of modification in order to allow them to produce at 100%. And even then, their not very good for a high-draw application.

SPR 11-29-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 (Post 195487)
http://www.littletikes.com/productim...4A_OL_full.jpg

Cell Phone Lions.

But, in reality, unless your 100 % confident with soldering with bombs, you should by all means stay away from cell phone batts. They needs lots of modification in order to allow them to produce at 100%. And even then, their not very good for a high-draw application.

LMAO!! Texan, that was the BEST POST EVER!!!

Skv012a 11-29-2008 11:42 PM

Figured if you wire 2 3.7V 1800 mah bricks, it would prove better than the conventional ones. Reason #1 being charging them safely and easily even with the cheapest chargers vs buying 30$ liths and $30 charger thats just for them. What about capacity on XM-specific lith packs, how many mAh are they usually?

SPR 11-29-2008 11:50 PM

Lets put this in simple terms. If cell phone batterys were worth the trouble, you would see them all over. You dont ever see them, zip, zero, nadda. because they are not good batterys for xmods.

and you can buy liths plus a charger for way less than 60 bucks.

badass_savage 11-29-2008 11:58 PM

they actually wouldn't to bad I guess, a cell phone bat is 3.6 volts At 1030 MHa and there also alot smaller and much lighter. My guess is they arny used cuz they just would not last long at all.

SPR 11-30-2008 12:07 AM

the lipo's i just ordered for my rally car are lighter weight and smaller than the battery in my sony ericsson w580i. which is not a big phone by any means.

badass_savage 11-30-2008 12:16 AM

I have never really handled a lipo so I wouldn't know but the cell bats are about a 1.5 in square that wiefhts practically nothing, I know nothing about lipos I've never had to use them.

texan_idiot25 11-30-2008 12:56 AM

Problem is the typical cell phone li-ion battery can't stand the power draw from the xmods. All a cell phone needs is a slow steady stream of power, so a battery is designed to provide a slow steady stream of power, for long periods of time.

Problem comes when you try and demand that battery to push lots of power at a very uneven rate. It's been done before, by Whitie of XMW. But it was shot down often by other members. I tried it as well, and it worked too. But know that when you take the cell out of the battery case, you no longer have any sort of safety against over charging. A cell phone charger doesn't monitor the battery's stats. The phone and the batteries voltage cut-off do. With out the phone, and the voltage cut off removed (inorder to allow the battery to run at full power) you essentially have a bomb unless you buy a proper charger.

Whities:
http://xmodworld.com/modules.php?nam...ght=cell+phone

badass_savage 11-30-2008 01:14 AM

could always build it to where u could put it back in the phone to charge.

texan_idiot25 11-30-2008 01:21 AM

No you cant, not realistically. Because in order for this to work you have to remove the on board safety electronics in the battery's case to allow it to run at full power on the xmod. But with out that the cell phone will refuse to charge (and plus you'll mangle the case getting the battery cell out).

badass_savage 11-30-2008 01:26 AM

couldn't you just take the whole batt and case together and use them without taking it apart? You don't really need to tear into the case, could just solder to leads. I would think cordless phone rechargables would be better anyway.

texan_idiot25 11-30-2008 01:29 AM

How many times can I say this?

Because there is a tiny electronics board that limits the power of the battery (and is a safety cut off for over and undercharging the cell), which must be removed to get any performance worth-while. But with out that, the phone won't care to charge it. You'll need a real hobby grade lithium charger.

Kaze 11-30-2008 02:12 AM

Not entirely part of the conversation, however i'm shocked no one corrected SPR on his provided information. Stock boards run off of 4.8V (each AAA is 1.2V), they can handle the max amount he mentioned (actually i think it's 7.4V since the 3.7V liths work on stock board), so you basically need to stay inbetween, the higher you get to 7.4V the more you should consider FET upgrades.

As for using cell phone batts, i know nothing lol... just wanted to make sure you know your basics on the voltages.

BART 11-30-2008 02:30 AM

Actually the stock board runs off of 6 volts, most beginners use alkaline batteries, 4 x 1.5 = 6. SPR stated correct facts.

SPR 11-30-2008 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX9RBART (Post 195549)
Actually the stock board runs off of 6 volts, most beginners use alkaline batteries, 4 x 1.5 = 6. SPR stated correct facts.

Thank you :) Thats exactly what i was getting at.

and gen 1 board max is 7.2 volts. lilke very max its pretty much a 50 50 shot if its going to hold 7.2 on stock fets or not. Evo is slightly better, i think it might be the 7.4 but im not positive on that.

most people dont run rechargables right off the bat. So technically you have to say the board runs on 6 volts. running on 4.8 is more of a tuner car, which would also fit in the same category as lithiums in my opinion.

Kaze 11-30-2008 05:13 AM

oh well, shows how much i knew exactly... weird though, i never noticed that alkalines were 1.5 i thought all AAA's were 1.2 for somereason... I stand corrected then, >.< heh my bad...

SPR 11-30-2008 05:56 AM

only rechargables run 1.2

standard batterys are 1.5