XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   XMOD Electronics (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   2 motors (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12898)

GearHeadV8 04-26-2008 01:47 PM

2 motors

is it possible if i solder a S1 and a S2 together can i use them on a truck.without having to do any upgrades like fets or something.i dont care about battery life i just want to know if it is safe to do.i canto repair a board or repair fets

Donziikid 04-26-2008 01:55 PM

It's tough to say. I haven't seen anyone try it thus far, nor do I believe it would be possible. Running two motors would probably pull too much amperage and blow your stock FETs. Plus, I wouldn't see a need to run two motors at the same time, especially two motors with two seperate ratings like the stage 1 and the stage 2. If you even wanted to run two motors at the same time you'd probably want to run the same two motors, not different motors.

superinfinity 04-26-2008 02:00 PM

i had two stage one motors on a dual motor truck w/ liths and stacked fets, and i think it could barely handle it and i think i blew the stacked fets. So no, don't try it. double the motors is double the amperage and double the strain on the fets, so two motors = fet barbecue

GearHeadV8 04-26-2008 02:15 PM

what i am doing is a tatra and i put the rear of a truck in the back and wired the second S1 car onto the points where the wire meets the motor.and it is fine i will put a S2 on if it will help but i need to to know will it blow the fets

texan_idiot25 04-26-2008 02:44 PM

2 Motors WILL fry the FETs.

It won't work right with two DIFFERENT motors, it will suck more then before.

2 Motors in the truck is fairly useless. If you want torque, gear boxes and servos. Speed, well go with a car chassis.

2 motors gets expensive, trust me. ;)

BART 04-26-2008 05:01 PM

If all your after is torque you could however hook 2 of the same motors up in series, your speed would be cut in half though.

Donziikid 04-26-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX9RBART (Post 157115)
If all your after is torque you could however hook 2 of the same motors up in series, your speed would be cut in half though.

You would also sacrafice voltage to each motor that way. If you run 4.8V with two motors in series, each motor will only receive 2.4V, which isn't probably isn't enough to run your Xmod efficiently. Your runtime would be the same but you would have half the RPM.

theoriganalRiD3R1967 04-26-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donziikid (Post 157118)
You would also sacrafice voltage to each motor that way. If you run 4.8V with two motors in parellel, each motor will only receive 2.4V, which isn't probably isn't enough to run your Xmod efficiently. Your runtime would be the same but you would have half the RPM.

actually two motors in paralell would have the same 4.8 voltage, iif you put them in sereis however your voltage would be cut in half, also if they were in parallel they would have the same current rating(amperes AMP), provided that you-re running 2 motors of the same type. but based on the experience othewrs above me have had i would not try

Sweed 04-26-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoriganalRiD3R1967 (Post 157123)
actually two motors in paralell would have the same 4.8 voltage, iif you put them in sereis however your voltage would be cut in half, also if they were in parallel they would have the same current rating(amperes AMP), provided that you-re running 2 motors of the same type. but based on the experience othewrs above me have had i would not try

Uh... No.
They would recieve the same voltage, and split it between the two. But since they are in parallel, they both pull the same, and pull from the same source. When wired parrelell, they would pull double (if not more) the amperage; compared to just one motor.

The ESC feeds it volts and the motor pulls the Amps. There's a diffrence.

Donziikid 04-26-2008 05:52 PM

Ah, I misplaced parallel with series, my mistake. Thanks for catching that.

And Sweed is correct, if they were wired in parallel, the two motors would pull twice the amperage as one motor alone would.

theoriganalRiD3R1967 04-26-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donziikid (Post 157128)
Ah, I misplaced parallel with series, my mistake. Thanks for catching that.

And Sweed is correct, if they were wired in parallel, the two motors would pull twice the amperage as one motor alone would.

oh, good to know

BART 04-26-2008 08:35 PM

Dont overcomplicate this

2 motors in series.

each would receive half of the supplied voltage and each would pull half of the available current (the 2 current draws being added to equal the same current 1 motor would draw. performance would suffer.

2 motors in parallel.

each would receive all of the supplied voltage and twice the current of one motor alone. Performance would be great for the millisecond before the fets went to electrical heaven.

reaper 06-16-2008 05:18 PM

twin motors how to

motors in parallel , each motor sees full battery voltage but current is more than that of a single motor so fet/esc specs will have to be taken into account
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/parallel.jpg

motors in series, each motor sees half the battery voltage and current is reduced
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...tos/series.jpg

BART 06-16-2008 07:04 PM

Thats exactly what I posted a month and a half ago,,,

GearHeadV8 06-16-2008 08:46 PM

so basically is it safe if i had a motor going to the esc and a motor with the wires going to the solder points on the first motor

BART 06-16-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyxmoder (Post 164778)
so basically is it safe if i had a motor going to the esc and a motor with the wires going to the solder points on the first motor

No.

2wdpancar 06-16-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyxmoder (Post 164778)

Is it seriously that hard?
Reaper even provided pictures..

xmodificationer 06-17-2008 12:43 AM

wait a sec... this is not xmod related but, I have a paintball electronic hopper. I modded it from using a 9v battery to use 2 9 volt batteries. what I did it but the existing 9v battery snap in half, put one end on each battery. Then I went to RS, got some snaps, and cut another in half, twist the wires together, and snapped on the ends to each existing spot on each battery. Its basically wired in series right? in that pic up above or the series, replace the batter with a motor in the hopper, replace teh esc with just a basic board, and replace the 2 motors with 2 9v batteries and that basicaly what I did. I tried out the hopper and its alot faster.

reaper 06-17-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX9RBART (Post 164764)
Thats exactly what I posted a month and a half ago,,,

yes but as he stll didnt get it i thought pics would help
and isnt that why we are here ,to help ?

Donziikid 06-17-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmodificationer (Post 164816)
wait a sec... this is not xmod related but, I have a paintball electronic hopper. I modded it from using a 9v battery to use 2 9 volt batteries. what I did it but the existing 9v battery snap in half, put one end on each battery. Then I went to RS, got some snaps, and cut another in half, twist the wires together, and snapped on the ends to each existing spot on each battery. Its basically wired in series right? in that pic up above or the series, replace the batter with a motor in the hopper, replace teh esc with just a basic board, and replace the 2 motors with 2 9v batteries and that basicaly what I did. I tried out the hopper and its alot faster.

You just gave me a headache. :lol: Is there any other way you could try to explain that?