PDA

View Full Version : gear ratio experiments?

shockmatic
12-29-2004, 08:04 AM
has anyone tried to use, say, a blue motor with a red pinion?
in theory the larger numbered gear motor would turn the smaller numbered gear pinion faster.

one of the guys i race with has been messing with this, but as far as we can tell there is not a significant speed difference, at least not with lithium batteries.

crashmod
12-29-2004, 08:09 AM
when i first got mine i ran the stock pinion with the blue stage 2 and i can't tell a difference now that i have changed the pinion. but in theory it should make some difference.

shockmatic
12-30-2004, 08:50 AM
ok, after using every possible combination it doesnt seem to make a difference.
we dont have a dyno to measure speed, so its not 100% but racing the different combinations against a car just running the red motor/gear set up or the yellow motor/gear set up didnt seem to have any more speed

Kujo
12-30-2004, 10:51 AM
It would have a difference. However; you have to consider the scale in which you're working. The difference is minutely noticeable. You would have to triple the number of teeth on the differential to see a difference. I'm sure it could be done if you found a gear that would fit. Though your car would lose its limited slip, it would be awsome for drag racing :D

deerman270
12-30-2004, 04:02 PM
ya

shockmatic
12-30-2004, 05:17 PM
you would probably need a dyno to see that there is a difference at this scale

Grand_Prix
01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
he is better to do it with dyno