PDA

View Full Version : soldering

wongy008
12-28-2004, 07:17 PM
hey guys

ill be looking to upgrade to lithium batteries soon but before i do take the plugne and carry out the mod i wanna know how do i remove all the old excess solder on the circuit board before i resolder the new wires into place??

any ideas im not sure how to do it effectively
must be a easy way that you guys use
ive been told to used a solder wick but what is it??

BlackSky909
12-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Well ur gonn ahve to drill holes in the board and that should remove all your solder...

wongy008
12-28-2004, 08:08 PM
oh right but wat size drill piece will be best to use??

jpringlephoto
12-29-2004, 01:22 AM
My experimental XMOD project…
I received the Carbon Fiber chassis on last night, along with the stage 11 motors.
I put 16AWG wiring in for the batteries and saw the car just go wild. But then I turned it off and the battery springs started to fry…
So, I quickly pulled it out and checked all the wiring. No burned contacts otherwise.
I tried the car again, but for now, the batteries are not frying anymore.
The car spun about so fast that it could not be used in forward motion, so I reversed the steering on the remote and drove backwards.

I drilled the board with a 1/16 bit. VERY CAREFULLY...

I think I will go to the AWG18 wire tommorrow

wongy008
12-29-2004, 08:12 AM
thanks ill also be using 18 gauge wire too

just gotta buy all the stuff now i think ill be ok with it
hopefully :P

viperdout
12-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Well ur gonn ahve to drill holes in the board and that should remove all your solder...

Drilling the board has nothing to do with the solder on the board. You drill the board to fit lareger wires. If you cannot solder, you'll have to get someone to install them.