PDA

View Full Version : Li-Ions getting hot, need help!!!

micah_jones
07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I just soldered 2 lithium ion cells into a harness(not the first time) and one of the batteries is really hot and is not cooling down...it almost seems as if its getting hotter...what should i do about this?

taiwanesekid05
07-19-2007, 05:52 PM
first turn it off and disconnect the batteries, then try to find something cold to cool down the batteries for now.

TheB1GDude
07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I just soldered 2 lithium ion cells into a harness(not the first time) and one of the batteries is really hot and is not cooling down...it almost seems as if its getting hotter...what should i do about this?

1. Disconnect them!
2. Throw them out the window as if they where a hand grenade!
3. Wait 45 minutes to an hour.

If after step 3 they haven't exploded you can assume that they are good, bring them back in the house and try to work out what went wrong.

Noobs I'm not trying to be funny here! In situations such as this lith cells can be very dangerous!! You have been warned so anyone who blows a finger off after reading this will feel pretty stupid!

micah_jones
07-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Nevermind guys...i went back in and checked them about an hour later and they were cooling down...i just found it strange that my soldering iron had been cool for about an hour and the batteries were still hot enough to burn my finger if i held it long enough...

xmodsnut
07-19-2007, 07:44 PM
rule one with lipo and li-ion batteries never put anything that hot near them or on them. you cause the cell to over heat and like bigdude said you should have never let them out of your sight and took them outside. I dont know how old you are but you could have burnt down your house. try explaining that one to the insurance company.

here is some good advise on future battery soldering using li-ions or li-pos, DO IT OUTSIDE!!!

tayyab
07-19-2007, 08:08 PM
i agree with xmodsnut i almost burnt my work table when i left my solder on after soldering liths they were burning up, NEVER keep them near something hot!

micah_jones
07-20-2007, 04:26 PM
This was not my first time soldering liths...i know what im doing...i just didnt know why the cell held the heat for soo long...and theyre tabbed cells so they usually dont get as hot as that...

tayyab-What are you talking about? they werent near anything hot..? and i unplug my soldering iron after im done every time...

tayyab
07-21-2007, 03:19 AM
oh i thought they got hot when u left it on or near something hot....sorry my bad