PDA

View Full Version : Barracade light problems

xmodsnut
07-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Yesterday when I was modifying my new xmod and put both the command logic and the police lights on it and hooked them into the chassis and started to run it. as I was driving it only my CL lights were fully lit and my police barely lit. The batteries are fully charged and are relatively new. I am wondering has anyone else had this problem yet or is mine a fluke?

meme405
07-01-2007, 12:27 AM
you already broke a brand new car??

LOL. just kidding maybe they just cant pull enough power to run together. maybe they wenret meant to be run together..

bondo
07-01-2007, 02:46 AM
maybe they wenret meant to be run together..
i wouldnt say that is the case. the lightbar on the "Barricade" is the samething as the head/taillights.
it has leds,power wires and a board to tell it what to do.
the only difference is that the flashers would have a relay(s) on them.
if your having a problem with the lights then take it back to RS.
in most cases they will be more then happy to make things right.
when i bought my first evo mustang it came from the package with fried range and a scuffed body.
i took it back the next day and told a different clerk about it and he handed me another starter for free aong with the one i originally purchased.

xmodsnut
07-01-2007, 03:23 PM
but the thing is the police lights work fine alone. I am going to watch the movie some time to see if the head and taillights flash and make them all flash if that is the case by soldering the lights alone to the police ones board.

bondo
07-01-2007, 04:25 PM
if you want to cut the heatshrink off the headlight/tailight unit and take a picture, i can tell you if it has relays on it or if it's the same old CL setup.

SkysTheLimit
07-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Its because you're only supposed to run one light kit at a time. Try connecting two CLL kits and you will see that the power drain makes both kits dim and the car driving itself weak. The secondary CLL port is for underglow only.

If you get more voltage, then I suppose you could run 2 kits at one time. But remember the board maxxes out at something like 7.5 volts.

123Vette
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
nope it just does that if u have more than to tailightrs plugged in when u drive tthey will dim and will go out iuntil u stop dont no y it just does

xmodsnut
07-01-2007, 10:51 PM
if you want to cut the heatshrink off the headlight/tailight unit and take a picture, i can tell you if it has relays on it or if it's the same old CL setup.

It is just the stock evo CL light kit. the police one has a totally new set up to run them.

Its because you're only supposed to run one light kit at a time. Try connecting two CLL kits and you will see that the power drain makes both kits dim and the car driving itself weak. The secondary CLL port is for underglow only.

I have a truck with one set of CLL on them and a second set made to run in my KC Highlites. instead of red tailights I used the white ones from a second kit and it doesn't dim at all.
I think the electricity is taking the path of least resistance and bypassing the police kit as much as it can. which means the electricity is taking the short cut.

gt42r
07-02-2007, 12:52 AM
arent those lights like the normal command logice lights? just swap it out with a new one. lol

xmodsnut
07-02-2007, 01:22 AM
they are two different setups totally. the police ones have relays and other stuff on them to make them blink.

NON_SKID
07-02-2007, 10:21 AM
make sure you have the new cl lights to evo one the one thats like half the size try that

123Vette
07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
i have led that flash red and blue without ne relays

xmodsnut
07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I am talking about the new evo ones not the gen one. I tried both sets and they had the same result.

NON_SKID
07-02-2007, 02:56 PM
well then you have your self in a bit of a pickle

xmodsnut
07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
well if someone watches the movie and says that all the lights work like the real police ones do I am going to solder them to the police board for the real effects.

XMODification
07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm glad I notice this thread today - I had this same problem with my Nissan Terrano - in that i am using 2 set of command logics - 1 for the head/tail lights and the other for the roof mounted spot lights. The head and tail lights are alot dimmer when both are on together but the min. i unplug the spot lights it works fine. I assume it the same as what you're expierencing with the flasher for the Baricade. Now I think I'll make my own flashers ( similiar to the police car and the Hummer's that I made before) instead of buying those from RS.:nod:

Darkmagik
07-02-2007, 05:50 PM
to tell you all the truth the CL kit doesnt use much power at all for one reason thay are always lit and do nothing special so battery drain is very minimal. When you get fancy and have blinking lights the board that tells the lights what to do uses more battery up. So if you combine both the batteries would focus on lighting up the LEDS not on conduction the car. If you try to conduct your car with all of that stuff hooked up on the ep the LEDs will not be as bright as if they were standing alone. You have only one solution to this problem. The police lights need to have their own power source and everything will be fine. HOPE THIS HELPED AND CLEARED SOME ISSUES UP. =)

Jon

texan_idiot25
07-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Heres the shocker...

You cant use them at the same time!

Plugging 2 cll into the xmod just causes this, the xmod cant supply the both to run both their circuits.

There arent relays, its the same type of flasher circuitry thats in the cheep flashing toys and such.

Simply, one draws more power than the other, so thats why you have one CLL set that works, and the other doesnt so well. Could be some internal work that limits voltage to them, I dunno. You can attempt to wire both kits to one plug, and see what happens though...

Darkmagik
07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Heres the shocker...

Plugging 2 cll into the xmod just causes this, the xmod cant supply the both to run both their circuits.

Do you really know what you are talking about man because i can prove that 2 CLL kits can be plugged in and still work. Better yet my evo has 2 GL kits on it and a CLL kit aswell and they all work fine. If you understood my previous post that what you wrote was pretty much what i said in the post before you.

Jon

texan_idiot25
07-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I have two CLL kits, and I have shove them both into my S10 before. Sucked either way.

Do you even know what you are talking about? You contradict yourself so often...

xmodsnut
07-02-2007, 09:12 PM
the police light have more resistance than the CLL kits do and therefore the CLL are running most of the power when turned on. I am going to try and put the gen one splitter on the this and see what happens. I will let you know if it works.
well that didnt work I just tried it. would someone just watch the movie and tell me if the head and taillights flash on the Mustang

Iche-1
07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Do you really know what you are talking about man because i can prove that 2 CLL kits can be plugged in and still work. Better yet my evo has 2 GL kits on it and a CLL kit aswell and they all work fine. If you understood my previous post that what you wrote was pretty much what i said in the post before you.

Jon

i disagree.....but it doesnt matter. youve been ban pwn3d.

:haha:
+1

texan_idiot25
07-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Can I get a "Yippy kay ayyyyy mutha f****a!" - Die Hard :lol:

bondo
07-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Heres the shocker...

There arent relays, its the same type of flasher circuitry thats in the cheep flashing toys and such.

Simply, one draws more power than the other, so thats why you have one CLL set that works, and the other doesnt so well. Could be some internal work that limits voltage to them, I dunno. You can attempt to wire both kits to one plug, and see what happens though...

this may also come as a shaocker to you but guess what..?
"flasher circutry" is made from....get this.....RELAYS along with resistors to make up the CL board.

so riddle me this MR. wizard, why can i plug in two CLL sets with one containing an extra four LED's?
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/niklebaggz/P6040054.jpg
for the record, the headlights are smoked so it appears dimmr then the lightbar.

texan_idiot25
07-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Relays are mechanical, what small flash circuits use, isnt a relay. Too large. How do I know this? Ive built small circuits like that before, for a traffic light project for a friend.

Hey wizzard, why dont you at the very least show that its got two CLL kits on. Even xmodification runs that many lights on the same CLL kit.

bondo
07-03-2007, 06:49 PM
well let's see. there's mechanical relays and there's electrical.
mechanical relays are used for 12v systems and electrical are used for less.
a mechanical relay works from its own system to cut the power in intervals.(turn signals)
this is a mechanical relay.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/niklebaggz/P7030064.jpg

an electrical uses arcs to create the strobe.
electrical relays use fillaments to create the strobe. once the fillament gets hot enough, the wire seperates. when it cools off it re connects completing the curcuit.(think blinking christmas lights)

now as far as your query on my light setup....here's your answer.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/niklebaggz/P7030055.jpg
and i know your going to say..."well how do we know that that's the same setup?"
you dont but here's something to think about.
how about THREE CLL's on one board???
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/niklebaggz/P7030057.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/niklebaggz/p7030058.jpg
and just so there's no one that thinks there's some trickery here. i seperated the three so you can follow the wires.
if i had another gen1 splice i would hook up the headlights in the truck as well.
that's a total of 13 lights on three curcuits hooked to one EVO
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/niklebaggz/P7030062.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/niklebaggz/P7030061.jpg

texan_idiot25
07-03-2007, 06:57 PM
But what xmods flashers use (under assumtion, since niether you or I actually have the kit), which is the simplest flasher use for the most part transister circuits. I dont have that stuff with me, im outta town.

As for your truck, thats nice, but explain how my xtruck on regular aaa's refuse to run two CLL kits. I can imagine a 2s2p lith setup could supply it though

bondo
07-03-2007, 07:11 PM
But what xmods flashers use (under assumtion, since niether you or I actually have the kit), which is the simplest flasher use for the most part transister circuits. I dont have that stuff with me, im outta town.

As for your truck, thats nice, but explain how my xtruck on regular aaa's refuse to run two CLL kits. I can imagine a 2s2p lith setup could supply it though

i have no idea why your lights arent working properly. maybe theres a pin slipping from the nub. sometimes after putting them in and pulling them out, a prong will wiggle loose inside the nub(plug).
if you would like me to go out and take a pic of the batts tray i would be glad. there's nothing but 3 RS Nimh's and an energizer.

saying that a light system uses a transistor is pretty vague though.
every electrical component uses atleast one form of transistor.
hell, fets are a form of transistor.
but your right, transistors can be used as switches. i dont know what they use in the CL but back to the original point, there's no reason that his CLL's should be interferring with one another.
if power draw was the issue then the headlight/taillights would strobe on the "off" end of the strobe of the lightbar.

EDIT: no need to take a pic of the batts tray. you can see the RS batts in the first pic in the series.

texan_idiot25
07-03-2007, 07:21 PM
This is what I mean by a simple transister one, thats the type ive done before: http://wild-bohemian.com/electronics/flasher.html

As for the trucks running CLL kits, more or less could be factory defect. PH2T has run a 3 cell li-po pack in his evo car flawlessly for a long while, back in the day. Yet, a 3 cell lipo pack is more than likelly gonna blow up your average evo board :lol:

123Vette
07-03-2007, 07:22 PM
i still dont get how you can wire that many lights up plz bondo can u give exact directions

texan_idiot25
07-03-2007, 07:25 PM
You can run them off a single CLL kit, thats been done many times before, what we were argueing/debating was of two CLL kits off the same evo ep.

Basically, just wire more LEDs to the CLL board.

123Vette
07-03-2007, 07:29 PM
ccl board ill say equals the light ep but i no that but how do u plug 2 in is what im asking.

bondo
07-03-2007, 07:33 PM
there's 2 ports in the EVO series.
i added a third with the Gen1 splitter.
with LED's you can add almost as many as you want as long as you run them parralell.
you can wire LED's in series but the stability becomes an issue and if you dont like fried diodes then stay away from series.
the draw from a single LED is so minimal that most systems dont even recognize the power drain. espescially in high drain applications like Xmods or cameras.
i'm not a math wiz or anything but i would imagine that you could run a CL on the xmod 4.8v for about 12 hours before they started to dim.

and yea tex i can understand that. i fried a steering fet on one board, put in a new board with the same setup(bigger servo motor and 24g wire) and it seems to be working fine.:uhoh:

BART
07-03-2007, 07:38 PM
This is good stuff. But have you simply tried swapping the dim set to the plug that is bright? If the set that was dim stays dim and the set that was bright stays you could then determine if the board is struggling to supply power to the lights (which i doubt and i think has been proved above by the very detailed and informative posts). I know you said that when you unplug the one set all is fine but try swapping them...maybe the dim set is internally screwed and introducing excessive resistance to the system.

xmodmaverick
07-03-2007, 08:05 PM
I can run 2 light kits on my saleen. I didn't alter the power input any. It might be that the light bar kit uses more power.

Oh, and FYI, I've been gone a while, been busy with summer stuff, so, I'm back.

And one last thing. can i get a pic of the actual light kit without the heat shrink on it? It'd be really helpful, thanks.

bondo
07-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I can run 2 light kits on my saleen. I didn't alter the power input any. It might be that the light bar kit uses more power.

Oh, and FYI, I've been gone a while, been busy with summer stuff, so, I'm back.

And one last thing. can i get a pic of the actual light kit without the heat shrink on it? It'd be really helpful, thanks.

if your talking about the standard EVO CLL i can get you a pic of one opened within minutes.
if your talking about the flasher unit then your going to have to rely on someone that has one..
let me know.

texan_idiot25
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
4x4daddy has one

xmodmaverick
07-04-2007, 06:07 PM
yeah, I need a pic of the police light kit. I know what the normal CLL ones look like. Thanks anyways though.