PDA

View Full Version : A proper thread, to pwn the Tundra

texan_idiot25
06-21-2007, 06:03 AM
I thought about leaving this thread open....but seeing that nobody has yet to bring up a relevant argument, or any concrete evidence to back it up (stupid youtube videos don't count).And Ill do just that, fact based, backed up arguements for the fun of it.

The new tundra is Toyota's 1st attempt at a real truck. They attempt to advertise it tough, they try to build it "In the heart of texas" in San Antonio (which no texan really cares about, for many reasons its bad truck). Though for some, its ok. For real guys who use their trucks for what you use a truck for, theres issues.

Id love to tell you guys to go, and actually play with a tundra. You get in it, and it feels like an early 90s Cavalier, the interior is cheap, especially when Toyota has been known for their cars interiors. And its an annoying huge silver piece, I dunno how you would drive with that thing, I just found it distracting.

Now lets get to the nuts and bots of it, or to the point of the BED's mounting bolts. I dunno about you guys, but ever try loading large things into the bed of a truck? You know how important it is to have things slide in rather easy. Thats why you have those rails on the bed floor. What does toyota do? Well, the mounting bolts for the bed stick above those loading rails. Next time you load boxes and such, or the good ol home applience, have fun hitting those. even every day things would get caught. Its a small detail, but its a big one. Not in the some-odd 50 years that American trucks became a real consumer vehicle (even up to the 60s, trucks were just considered work vehicles. Its post-war that you really started to see dedicated truck parts, not just a model T with a new bed).

What another thing we love to do with trucks? Pull boats!!! Serisously, if you live near lakes and such, you know the joys of pulling boats out of the water. Again, the tundra falls short:

The Toyota uses a helical gear limited slip differential that operates in a similar fashion, transferring some torque, but the traction control cuts too much torque from the engine, causing it to roll backwards down the hill and occasionally stalling. If you are very, very careful with the throttle, you may be able to get it to climb the hill. Bottom line: if you ever plan to tow a boat up a slippery boat ramp, avoid the Tundra,.http://www.au.autoblog.com/2007/06/08/gm-silverado-sierra-pickups-challenge-the-competition/

Theres lots of toyota pwnage in that article, and heres a few quotes:

On the wet basalt tiles of the skid-traction pad, the Silverado faced off against the Tundra and here the Tundra showed another major lapse by Toyota...On the Tundra, switching to four-wheel drive disables everything except ABS, so if you have four-wheel drive engaged and the truck starts to slide or spin, the driver is on his or her own. Even in two-wheel drive, the slip control system is one of the noisiest and intrusive I've experienced on any vehicle in many years...On the Toyota, if the steering wheel jerking in your hands and the grinding sound of the brake control unit wasn't enough to tell you the system is active, there is also an irritating beeping the whole time.Yet another glaring lapse on the Tundra is the bolt heads in the bed that extend just above the load rails, and anyone out there that has loaded the back of a pickup up truck nows the importance of that little detail.Now, that all isnt too bad if your just another guy, getting the brawny lookin truck to impress the nieghbors... So you just want a reliable truck right? One of the main things Toyota needed was for their new V8 to be RELIABLE. But it seems cam shafts had the tendancy to fail in their new V8. I have never heard of an american truck having a mistake as a cam shaft failing on a new truck. Their are still 50 year old trucks running the original engines.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/31/tundra-camshaft-woes-could-lead-to-recall-for-toyota/
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/29/aw-snap-no-really-20-tundra-camshafts-have-snapped/

Yeh, Id hate to have to get another motor for my brand new truck too.

That, and toyota has been having to slap some seriouse incentive on it already, something they said early on, that they wouldnt need to do.

And we all can debate toyota's odd use of 3 different frame techiques, I find it a silly idea.

Plus with the loads of flaw in their commercials that lead to either:

A) Lots of ppl see that most the stunts are rigged for the toyota
B) Really hate that narrator's voice
C) Dont give a ****
D) Know that about ever single american auto make offers a truck that trumps the toyota.
E) Are the few toyota fan boys that actually go out and buy one..

Toyota can only really target the Silverado 1500 for the time being, but by the end of the year, it too gets the 400hp V8 and 6 speed auto thats been in the new Escalades for about a year now.

Ill give Toyota credit on this attempt, they try hard. Ive seen them park their trucks on one side of a music stage, when Chevy has some trucks on the other (local chevy dealers sponsor alot here). But this is what you typically see: 2 guys dressed for the golf course, who stand out and bring ppl to talk, then follow them intently as they veiw the truck, and shove them lots of brochures as they leave... Chevy just parks them, opens the hood on one truck (usually an 2500 HD with the 'workmans' dash) and a Tahoe on the other side, and let ppl just check them out. They let the product do the talking, not the sales man. Then the chevy guys will park the tahoe and sometime the other trucks so that the end faces the stage and tail gate. its fun.

So any ways, since no one could really back their arguments in the last thread, and thats why it was locked, I offer my arguments here. :lol:

sweetvette
06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
texan, tell em about how the silverado beats the tundra in braking, and the reason the tundra has bigger brakes is because its just pile of dead weight!
and how the tundra will never have any fleet sales cuz its at least 3 grand more expense than real trucks!

texan_idiot25
06-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Sweetvette-Very true, I passed that point. Thanks, one of the marketing stragies was bigger brakes. But in that see-saw commercial, you will see the trailer had trailer brakes. And anyone who has ever towed large trailers knows the trailer brakes stop the wieght of it, not the truck.

GM PWNS all of the big 2.5 trucks, except fords uber-steriod superduties. Ford has the most outdated platform, dodge is in between (and no real siting or word of new truchs though). While the GM trucks whoop them in about every way. Do please read that article. Though the big 2.5 still all make great trucks, its just right now GM has the top spot with the new trucks. Same thing happened when ford set out the New F150 years ago, it topped GM in some catagories.

Bet you didnt know this, but the Silverado out sold the F150 in the 1st quarter. The F-series outsold silverado, but honestly look how big the F-series line is, it goes into the medium duty trucks too, wheres silverado is just light duty. (medium duty is like the GMC topkick and its chevy equivilant)

noturday
06-21-2007, 12:53 PM
toyota and nissan and especially honda have said they arent making any trucks larger than what they have (chevy/dodge 1500, ford 150 equivalent) so the big 3 are still the only companies that actually have real trucks (2500hd)

texan_idiot25
06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Toyota hasnt settled on a yes or no for HD versions, and Nissan is going to possibly use Navistar, the now former maker of Ford's diesel motors.

Nissan:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/15/nissan-hasnt-learned-from-ford-navistar-powered-titan-in-2009/

Toyota:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/13/heavy-duty-toyota-tundra-may-not-happen/

noturday
06-21-2007, 12:57 PM
in that latest issue of Truckin' it says they arent makin anything larger than what they have

texan_idiot25
06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
And motor trend said the CTS-V gets 600hp+. I dont trust magizines for up-to-minute news. Stuff tends to change alot while its gettin' around. I go for the trucks and review, lol.

sweetvette
06-21-2007, 03:34 PM
well, texan, i believe you have properly pwned the tundra

texan_idiot25
06-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Dont turn it into a ****ing match now... thats why the last got locked. Be smart like Jimmynoturday, and sweetvette and talk about trucks with some facts behind your posts ;)

edit:
haha, thanks sweetvette

Numbchux
06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
And Ill do just that, fact based, backed up arguements for the fun of it.

fine....but it WILL stay that way. 8 posts have already been deleted.....and I will continue to delete posts that aren't positive, fact-based, arguments.

The new tundra is Toyota's 1st attempt at a real truck.

:lol: that depends on your definition of "real" truck. for 90% of truck drivers' uses.....they've built some of the toughest on the market for 25 years.

need I remind you of the top gear hilux?
http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota_images/toyota_hilux_27_05_04.jpg

Id love to tell you guys to go, and actually play with a tundra. You get in it, and it feels like an early 90s Cavalier, the interior is cheap, especially when Toyota has been known for their cars interiors. And its an annoying huge silver piece, I dunno how you would drive with that thing, I just found it distracting.

obviously, if one of your biggest arguments is how 'cheap' the interior 'feels'. you don't need a real truck. go get a lexus, audi, or caddi, all more than capable to pull a small boat, and carry 4 people comfortably. and the interior isn't 'cheap'

as for pulling a boat out of the water. that's just BS....my uncle pulls his 32-foot, 454-powered cabin cruiser (a boat that'll go 60mph with 10 people in it through very choppy water) out of the water with a 2WD, 1970s 350-powered, 8000 lb camper. if a modern, 4WD truck can't pull the boat out of the water....it's 100% operator incompetence. PERIOD

Heck, we use a 3.0l V6, FWD CARAVAN to pull our powerboat out of the water (Mastercraft ski boat....no pig, but no fishing boat either).

the rest of your arguments are based primarily on commercials and autoblog :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's like quoting a link from the onion as a solid political source.

although the commercials do quote a few solid sources.....which you conveniently overlooked

bottom line, 90% of the anti-yota arguments are based on the fact that it's a 1/2 ton truck. yota doesn't make anything any larger. and so even mentioning a 3/4 ton or larger truck immediately removes any relevance to your argument.

and, as with any argument like this most of the points that people focus on are 100% moot (like how 'cheap' an interior 'feels'....which, btw, I can't stop laughing about!!!)

texan_idiot25
06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I laugh at your sorry attempt to debunk me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does toyota make trucks like the hilux these day? No, and any person would say the same thing. And I know how tough they are, maybe you aught to read the favorite import thread and see ive got some respect for the old ones. And I dont see a hilux towing anything more than a lawn care trailer these days

The boat pulling, you did read the article correct? No where does it mention this is a 4x4 truck for comparison. Good move. what its saying is the traction control was so intrusive that it basically stoped the truck from being able to pull the boat out. We have pulled large boats out with a **** old pathfinder before, with all the kids in the back seat for some added weight to plenty of avail.

Autoblog is as solid of a source as any other site on the web. Just because it wasnt motortrend, C&D or a subi mag doesnt mean its not solid. And me basing my facts of commercials? Wheres that?

In this day and age, all trucks are having the habit of something better than my step dads beat to hell cavaliers interior. Hell, I know what a bare bones interior is, Ive gotta 69 Chevy C10, and I felt that even had more put into it than toyotas. I give them credit for lots of storage, but Id hate to have to pick up pieces of trim off my floor 10 years from now.

You didnt touch on the main points of a truck though, why? Pricing: a few grand too high for fleets, a few grand too high for the top end. You can get a Sierra with better options for the same, if not less than the toy.

Reliability: Explain when camshafts have failed in a new truck. Fingers point at toyota.

And I still laugh at the bed bolts :lol: Ive grown up around trucks my hole life. If you load stuff into the bed of your truck (or the back of your subi wagon) Im sure you could see the problem when you toss stuff in and it catches on bolts...

btw there is another subi wagon like your for sale in some used car mags, $499

Numbchux
06-21-2007, 08:43 PM
how are your reading skills?

8 posts have already been deleted.....and I will continue to delete posts that aren't positive, fact-based, arguments.

5 more gone. it happens again, and this thread is closed.

yes, In many peoples' opinion, they do make trucks as solid as the hiluxes (although still not available with the diesel....what crap).

motor trend and C&D are paid to say what the manufacturers want them to say. and there is no subie mag worth getting info about subies.

autoblog is better than most magazines....but still junk.

didn't read the article. don't care. traction control

ah yes, pricing. the glory of a free market. the only concrete way to compare two similar products. the only reason things like NAPA, Ford and Wal-mart exist. crappy product for lower price = more sales.

which, btw, might want to investigate prices before you make any blanket statements.
4.7l V8 4WD regular cab standard box tundra = 27,925 (toyota.com)
4.8l V8 4WD regular cab standard box sierra = 28,050 (gmc.com)

oh boy, you found some evidence of a handful of cases of catastrophic failure in a brand-new automotive platform. good for you!!! Every new platform has numerous cases of horrible catastrophic failure.

it comes down to circumstantial evidence that cannot be proven either way. I'm not trying to prove that the Tundra is the best thing since sliced bread.....personally, I think all 1/2 ton pickups are a waste of space. simply pointing out that your opinions are, in fact, based on circumstantial and questionable evidence.

texan_idiot25
06-21-2007, 09:25 PM
I doubt the Tacoma is anywhere near as tough as the old Hilux. Maybe its just me, I dunno. :lol:

Its a difference of $125, good counting. And even at that, you can get the same optioned silverado for less (which would better compete with the Toyota as far as options). The GMC is higher because if a costlier interior (which the Tundra lacks... :lol:) . But of course, when your spending this much already, $125 is nothing. But remember, Toyota is stacking incentive after incentive on it, which is one thing early on, Toyota said they wouldnt need to do.

Every new platform has numerous cases of horrible catastrophic failure? I dont see GMT-900s puking cams and such. The reason this wasnt a huge failure is Toyota has a system in production that helps to prevent wide spread problems.

If you dont care enough to read the article, to get the info for your arguments, why do you care enough to post?

Toyota gave it a good shot for the full size truck market, I just think this attempt has fallen far short. Now next time the Tundra goes under the knife, then maybe we'll see some serious competition from a foreign auto maker.

Numbchux
06-22-2007, 01:17 AM
If you dont care enough to read the article, to get the info for your arguments, why do you care enough to post?

autoblog = junk....I've seen far too many blatant lies there over the years to give a crap what they have to say.

the taco is still an extremely tough truck. maybe not AS tough as a hilux...but that's an awfully tall order

of course you don't see catastrophic failure on the trucks you like. the tundra's in the spotlight now...

I've helped repair stupidly huge failures on a number of very new cars (one of them a subaru even....cam snapped half when the oil wasn't changed for 25k miles), most of the GM products.

texan_idiot25
06-22-2007, 03:00 AM
I woulda pointed out catastrophic failures of a GM truck if there has been any on the GMT-900, being that were strictly talking new trucks now. Has their been any?

Cam failing after going 25k with no oil change is pretty much a given..