PDA

View Full Version : newbie to x-mods,not rc

nitronovice
12-24-2004, 05:01 PM
I have 2 gas powerd rc cars for a while,so I have the skills to tinker with almost anything(including electronics),go to sites like www.ofna.com to see what i mean.but i only know gas powered and a bit of electric(synthesized transmiter/reciever,esc,brushes,batteries...).i don't think I'll ever get an electric car larger than 1:18 scale.i'm very new to x-mods,don't have one,plan to get one,but want to learn the terms,other than the ones I already mentioned above.I just want to get the x-mods because the HPI micro rs4,x-ray m-18,team losi mini-t,and associated rc18t are too expensive for my dad to be convinced.I know that hobby grade vehicles are an expensive hobby(I got a gas powered sedan $350,and a gas buggy(1:8)for $500).My dad says that I have cost alot to maintain($30 for 1 gallon of fuel),and the cars I mentioned above are $200-$400.so any help will be greatly appreciated.Oh,by btw,what scale are x-mods?

Sorry for the long post,I always do that in my ofna forums when i give advice.

nitronovice
12-24-2004, 05:08 PM
oh yeah,I forgot to add,I race rented rs4's at pro indoor tracks my sedan at parking lot clubs,and my buggy at pro offroad tracks(that what make the hobby so expensive).So basicly I can handle about 50km+.And I buy mini electronic and robot kits that reqiure soldering.

jpringlephoto
12-25-2004, 02:02 AM
So, OK, now that my feet are back on the floor, :)
Just kidding, I used to work for www.AHC1931.com 1987-88
Loads of fun...
Anyhow, I have purchased (12) XMODS to date.
About (6) of them with bearings, motors, etc.

I just brought three sets of motors and carbon fiber chassis.

What does it matter you ask?
The cost is not exactly cheap but the XMODS are SOOOOO Cool and encouraging...

Now I am looking at setting up one of the (3) with the lightest and fastest gear, with one car as backup. The others I will leave stock...

I LOVE XMODS...

http://jpringlephoto.com/EOS1DMKII/pgs/WOYIPOD_.htm

viperdout
12-25-2004, 04:08 PM
You might not like an xmod, going from a top-quality car. They are pretty fun, and have a lot of mods available. The best part is, if you decide to do full aftermarket electronics, it's got a lot of space.

nitronovice
12-26-2004, 08:18 PM
what do you mean i might not like an x-mod,and what do you mean about my "top quality"cars?ecxept for the steering servo,the radio system,and my 4 nitride coated titanium hex drivers($10 a piece :D )there's really nothing that's top on my cars.you might(note i said "might") be right about me not liking x-mods,but at least it's a lot cheaper than a mini-z and all the other cars and i'll have something to drive during the winter.my gas cars are hibernating.

oh,when you say full aftermarket electronics,do you mean full hobby grade ones, or one designed for x-mods?thanks>

viperdout
12-26-2004, 10:06 PM
what do you mean i might not like an x-mod,and what do you mean about my "top quality"cars?ecxept for the steering servo,the radio system,and my 4 nitride coated titanium hex drivers($10 a piece :D )there's really nothing that's top on my cars.you might(note i said "might") be right about me not liking x-mods,but at least it's a lot cheaper than a mini-z and all the other cars and i'll have something to drive during the winter.my gas cars are hibernating.

oh,when you say full aftermarket electronics,do you mean full hobby grade ones, or one designed for x-mods?thanks>

Well, the tolerances in the xmod are not great (wheels wiggle, and stuff like that, which is all fixable). As far as I know, there no hobby-grade electronic upgrade for an xmod while using the stock controller. I have a Castle Creations Mamba 6800 and Mamba 25 ESC, along with a Mini-X servo and receiver, all controlled by a Futaba 2PC radio in mine. It's quick to say the least. :lol:

nitronovice
12-28-2004, 08:25 PM
wow,all that stuff actually fit in an x-mod?
the mamba motors are the brushless ones, right?
do you think it's possible to use an Airtronics M8?that would be cool.think of how far you can drive!

viperdout
12-28-2004, 11:06 PM
wow,all that stuff actually fit in an x-mod?
the mamba motors are the brushless ones, right?
do you think it's possible to use an Airtronics M8?that would be cool.think of how far you can drive!

Yeah. It uses 0 xmod electronics. The only stock-style stuff is the steering. I think it'd be too expensive to do all FM electronics, but if you can get a 2 channel FM receiver and 2 channel FM controller, you'd have like a mile range!! As is, I have like 300 feet of range I think, but I haven't tested it. If my servo gets in very soon, I'm going to race a couple guys with their Mini-Zs.

Brickmodder
01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Why not use the stock electronics AND an aftermarket ESC like the Mamba? Throw in 12 or so volts and you've got yourself a possible scale Mach 2 contender...

viperdout
01-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Why not use the stock electronics AND an aftermarket ESC like the Mamba? Throw in 12 or so volts and you've got yourself a possible scale Mach 2 contender...

Well, that's because your circuit was not even heard of when I started this.