PDA

View Full Version : How do I paint my x-mod

SuperFastSupra
12-20-2004, 11:50 AM
what do I use a paint brush an air brush or a sharpie:lol: ?

XRL15thplaceskyline
12-20-2004, 12:21 PM
i would do it with a good kind of spray paint, i have done it with a airbrush and i did not like the result!!!

SuperSupra
12-20-2004, 08:00 PM
u should try n sandin down ur xmodbefore u paint it if u paint it with the origanal paint it could look nasty and have bumps
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

SuperFastSupra
12-21-2004, 11:29 AM
So sand it then spray paint it ok

bigbadbobbo0845
12-27-2004, 09:54 PM
yea i just painted my skyline blue and it looks harsh bc i didnt sand it down first so now i have to do it all over again

Kujo
12-29-2004, 12:26 PM
I sugggest using a spray paint on your car. Airbrushing would be the best way, but unless you have one and are skilled in using it, a spray can is the next best thing. Automotive paint works really well and model paint even better. Just remember to sand the parts you plan on painting with a very fine grit sandpaper (like 600+ grit) or a plastic scuff pad (like the ones used for doing the dishes). Oh, and paint using light, even coats to avoid getting runs.

crashmod
12-29-2004, 02:18 PM
also a trick for things you dont want paint on use petroleum jelly. or if you trust yourself enough just tape it off the old fashion way.

aznballa2k4
12-29-2004, 02:30 PM
a good paint job is a very long process. especially if it's done unprofessionally. for me i think taking time is the best. what i do is just sand it with sandpaper. using different grit sandpaper will help a lot. i use is a 400 grit which is rough enough not to make deep scratches into the body. i'll give you a list of things and a procedure that works for me.

materials:sandpaper(grit size 400,320,2000)

spray can and primer(automotive paint/primer recommended such as duplicolor)

compound(tamiya polishing compound:Finish recommended. not sure if could be found in U.S. from what i've been told. any type of tamiya compound would do.)

car wax(any type)

procedure:1) sand all paint off with 400 grit
2) sand again with 320 grit
3) sand once more with 2000 grit (important not to miss any spots. may cause unwanted scratch looks when painting.)
4) time to primer everything(be sure not to primer it too thick. if there's too many layers, it can cause lines on the body or whatever detail to disappear)
5) let it set for a day or so(or blow dry it for like 5 or more minutes)
6) after you let it sit, wetsand the primer with 2000 grit just to make it smooth so you'll have a cleaner paint job.(if you sanded too much in some spots, you can always go paint that area with primer and sand again)
paint info: painting is all about having the least layers as possible and even horizontal spraying movement. starting from the beginning to the end is very crucial. NEVER START SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THE BEGINNING AND END.
7) first spray should be quick like a mist just to get a little bit of paint on. (blow drier is useful to quicken the process of painting. and painting it by holding it at the mounting points will make it easier.)
8) just repeat everything in step 7 until you decide its enough. remember not to overspray and keep the layers to a minimum to keep the body lines/detail on car.
9) let it totally dry for about a couple days
10) Optional: clear coat
11) you may see small orange peel (small enough orange peel to be smooth but not smooth enough) very small orange peel should be the outcome if steps are followed correctly. this is where your tamiya or whatever company compound comes in.
12) spread the compound over every part of the car. let it sit for half a day or so and then rub it off with a lint free cloth. (compound is a gloss eater. it just eats up enough of the gloss to make it smooth. whatever you do, don't be tempted to blow dry it to make the process go faster!! it will make the reaction occur too fast and it will eat up all the gloss. which will leave you a flat color.)
13) almost there. all you got to do is wax it to give it the slick look and then you're done. you should have a clean paint job now.

it's all about patience. if you have any questions or anything just email me at [email protected] with a subject saying you're from xmodsource or instant message me on aim- aznstrtlegend

crashmod
12-29-2004, 02:35 PM
that is how i would do it. sound almost straight out of an auto body manual.

definately if you want a good looking non chiping finish print that **** out and follow it.

aznballa2k4
12-29-2004, 02:42 PM
hahah yeah took me forever to write that out. did it on the other forum i went to. but i had an error in it. if you use compound, you would rub it and keep rubbing it till it shines. compound seriously make it shine. that's why my rsx is blinging :bigwink:

crashmod
12-29-2004, 02:45 PM
you can also get wet sand compound and realy make it look awsome. you have to get the highest grit sandpaper you can find.

skyline-rsx392
01-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Go to xmodscorner.com and click on "how to's "

nova_fan
01-15-2005, 07:37 PM
I would have it painted by a pro

:ukliam: