PDA

View Full Version : Is A W D worth buying?

SuperFastSupra
12-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Is A W D better than rear wheel drive?

livestrong350z
12-19-2004, 01:57 PM
depends on what u want to do with your xmod

if you want to drift its probly one of the best mods to do

if you want to drag race or run curcit races AWD will make your car a little bit slower

:D

viperdout
12-19-2004, 02:05 PM
If your car is bone stock, it's worthless. I would suggest it if you have an S2 upgrade and bearings first.

SuperFastSupra
12-19-2004, 06:55 PM
I have stage 2 upgrade but dont know if bearing are worth it

skylinedriver
12-19-2004, 07:53 PM
think of it this way...the stock bushings are plastic and with a metal axle, it will wear out fast with constant use thus creating friction. the metal bearing spins with the axle and will eliminate any friction. they really don't increase speed they just keep everything spinning true

viperdout
12-19-2004, 09:42 PM
They should increase speed a little bit too. Bearings are a must-have upgrade.

SuperFastSupra
12-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Everyone tells me not to buy the rs bearings is their a reson? :)

viperdout
12-20-2004, 04:04 PM

Because they are not nearly as good as the aftermarket ones. I'd suggest trying to find a shielded or sealed or closed bearing, which keeps dirt out.

skylinedriver
12-20-2004, 08:25 PM

Because they are not nearly as good as the aftermarket ones. I'd suggest trying to find a shielded or sealed or closed bearing, which keeps dirt out.

Exactly correct

JayACI
12-21-2004, 01:40 AM
I think AWD is worth buying, but only if you have Lithium Cells... also. I saw on rcbutlers.com they have 14mm wide tires. I was wondering, if I would even need awd.

heres an interesting question though. I have my rear differential locked with super glue... IF I had the AWD kit... should I lock the front differential too??? or should I let it slip a little bit... I'm worried about my steering difference that a TRUE 4WD car would present.

Any thoughts anyone??

viperdout
12-21-2004, 05:04 PM
I think AWD is worth buying, but only if you have Lithium Cells... also. I saw on rcbutlers.com they have 14mm wide tires. I was wondering, if I would even need awd.

heres an interesting question though. I have my rear differential locked with super glue... IF I had the AWD kit... should I lock the front differential too??? or should I let it slip a little bit... I'm worried about my steering difference that a TRUE 4WD car would present.

Any thoughts anyone??

I can make a set of adapters so you can run Mini-Z wheels on the back (11 mm wide) and they have literally hundereds of tires to choose from.

JayACI
12-22-2004, 12:05 AM
nice. whats with the white ring around the mini-z tires??? and are the wheels any larger? I think xmods need larger rims.

viperdout
12-22-2004, 04:30 PM
nice. whats with the white ring around the mini-z tires??? and are the wheels any larger? I think xmods need larger rims.

White ring? You mean on the inner part of the tires, right on the edge? If so, that's part of the rim (all are like that).

skylinedriver
12-22-2004, 05:56 PM
To JayACI...I suggest NOT gluing the front diff. doing so would make turning extremely difficult. The diff needs to slip in the turns.

JayACI
12-23-2004, 01:37 AM
yea, I think I'm gonna keep the front diff slip a lil, I've been thinking about that a lot.

I havent ever actually SEEN a MiniZ... so, I wasnt sure. by the looks of it, it looks like the rim would scrape, but I guess not.
:)

JayACI
12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Ive also been trying to find a Corvette C5R Body of some sort. But I havent been able to find any... so, I might try to paint it... but most of my past xmods painting experiences havent been so hot :nodno: :-?

viperdout
12-23-2004, 10:47 AM
yea, I think I'm gonna keep the front diff slip a lil, I've been thinking about that a lot.

I havent ever actually SEEN a MiniZ... so, I wasnt sure. by the looks of it, it looks like the rim would scrape, but I guess not.
:)

You just need to get the backspacing right.