PDA

View Full Version : locked diff

thugracer1013
12-17-2004, 05:12 PM
what is a locked dif and how do i make it

XRL15thplaceskyline
12-17-2004, 06:24 PM
a locked diff is when all the power is put to bolth wheels at all times.......which means you will no longer have a LSD set up....to make it you could either take the rear diff off and stick a peice of tissue in it, or do it by putting glue on the internas of the diff!

thugracer1013
12-17-2004, 06:58 PM
is it a good thing?

XRL15thplaceskyline
12-17-2004, 07:32 PM
it depends on what type of race you are using it for!

Thunder Motorspotrs
12-18-2004, 11:48 AM
A locked diff is for straight line performance only. In a real world if you put a spool or a true locker in a street car when you go around a corner the weight shift will make the car wheel hop. This would cause traction issues and create a real issue in the rain. As apposed to a limited slip axel, that distributed power to both rear wheels equally in a straight line, BUT on puts more power to a inside wheel in a turn and lets the car turn sharper instead of trying to push it in a staright line. A limited slip is better for corners and a spool is the only way to go for a true drag race.

We took apart the big white gear in the rear and found it to be a limited slip configuration. We have tried to make it a locker or a spool by super glueing all to insides together. We have yet to test it on the ground but its turns the tires on the bench. I will post later and let you know.

skylinedriver
12-18-2004, 12:20 PM
in a limited slip the power doesn't change. it allows the wheels to change speeds. think of two track runners, one one the inside lane , one on the outside. if they leave the line at the same time, the guy on the inside will finish sooner because he has a shorter distance to run than the guy on the outside

XRL15thplaceskyline
12-18-2004, 02:40 PM
if anyone knows anything about muscle cars thry would know what posi is!!

skylinedriver
12-18-2004, 05:31 PM
look... working in the automotive field for over 10 years I know the difference between an open end differential and a limited slip differential. Positraction is General Motors trademarked name for their limited slip differential which back in the day was the most widely used diff...hence the name "Posi". Mopar's trademarked name is "Suregrip." Xmods work on an open end diff setup. if you take apart one you will see 3 small gears...these are called "spider gears." on either side of the case(were the axles go) there is a set of teeth that the spider gears ride on. when all of these gears are messed together and working as one unit spinning one axle clockwise will spin the other counterclockwise. in a limited slip both axles spin in the same direction perfect for traction on straight tracks. but because of a series of clutch plates inside the diff that take place of the spider gears, turning the vehicle in one direction or the other these clutches disengage or slip allowing the wheels to spin at different speeds without wheel hop or loss of traction giving you the name limited slip.
The white gear does work on a limited slip principle... but it's not the best design.

XRL15thplaceskyline
12-19-2004, 12:57 AM
:evil: **** you need to calm it down buddy....................i did not say YOU were rong....and i know just as much as you and i have not been it for 10 years i have been in for 3 years, so calm down next time!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

nobel12
12-19-2004, 03:27 AM
This sounds like a history class. who is going to win the war??? :roll_eye: :roll_eye: :roll_eye: :roll_eye: :roll_eye: :roll_eye: :roll_eye: :roll_eye:

skylinedriver
12-19-2004, 09:54 AM
if anyone knows anything about muscle cars thry would know what posi is!!

with a comment like that it's a little hard NOT to get defensive!

XRL15thplaceskyline
12-20-2004, 12:24 PM
that comment was not tward one person(you) it was toward everyone!!! :o

JayACI
12-21-2004, 01:45 AM
I posted this question somewhere else.
But I was looking at the wider tires on rcbutlers.com (14mm wide)
and I was wondering, if I had those, would I even need an AWD kit???

I locked my rear differential, and it doesnt change my steering too much, I just put different tires on the front.

But If I got the AWD kit, and Locked the front to make it a true 4wd car... how would that change my steering??
should I keep the LSD in the front???

jpringlephoto
12-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Just as a choice, you can put different grades of bearing grease in the diff.
I found that a lighter viscosity works on one surface as opposed to a heavier viscosity on other surfaces...
On my hard wood floor, the diff could have used a lighter viscosity, eliminating wheel hopping.
When I wet the floor, it did intense spinning like donuts. On wet tile, it is different.
If I was going to run a straight drag, I would drop a diff with heavy grease.
Needless to say, I would not bind myself to dropping glue or tissue in there to lock it down.
In the 4WD kit, the grease is best only in the rear diff, as the front wheels should be free.
This guy makes a single direction bearing on a drive shaft, It would be EXCELLENT, it it was mini...
http://rc411.com/
XRC cars 1/05 mag pgs 69, just before the XMODS ad.
http://www.rdracingproducts.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=80&osCsid=f5cf08239b8c89d2b218831e67a1a8dd
How do we get the rc mags to do more on the xmods... Feb 04 was just one article...