PDA

View Full Version : No Power to Motor!

TheB1GDude
04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Ok so yesterday I decided that for one of my gen1 cars I would fit a pro-board harness / dean's plug properly, e.g. right to the board rather than just soldering it onto the existing wiring, and whilst I was at it upgrade the stock motor wire.

I used 18 gauge wire so had to drill the holes a little but when I put everything back together all was fine and the car ran great.

So today I decided I would exactly the same mods to another gen1 car. I fitted the pro-board harness / dean's plug and tested that the car still ran, both the servo and motor functioned, so I continued on with upgrading the motor wire, I drilled the holes and fitted the thicker wire, applied solder and all looked fine!

So I hooked up my motor and liths, the servo turned correctly but the motor only spun very slowly a few times and then stopped - I wondered if I had blown the motor so I slapped another on with the same results!

What could I have done? I have checked for bridges or shorts and everything seems fine! As I said the servo moves its just my motor that is screwed!

Maybe I drilled to much and removed the contact points on the board - so could I just scratch away at the surface to get to the metal plate (like when you do a power-switch bypass) or is that going to screw things up??

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Azngtboi88
04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
can you take a close up picture of the places you drilled into?

TheB1GDude
04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
can you take a close up picture of the places you drilled into?

OK that wasn't hard at all!! :-)

Hopefully you can make these out:

Top of board:

http://www.ab1gworld.com/images/board1.JPG

This was the side I drilled into.

Bottom of board:

http://www.ab1gworld.com/images/board2.JPG

Little blurry but you should see two holes in the top corner.

[EDIT] Oh well looks the board is completely gone now! No servo movement or anything! This is just another expensive lesson learned about xmods! Don't drill holes that are to big!

Azngtboi88
04-17-2007, 09:03 PM
hmm, could the holes be too wide and are touching each other?

rockrunner
04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
i wasnt even upgrading mine, just replacing some wires that came off, and the servo works great and it wont move a cm:****ed:

skylinedriver
04-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Check that the cells are fully charged. Pull the motor end bell off and see if the brushes are worn, And double check that your solder connection isn't bridged. I would imagine that something would fry, but I've seen stranger things. My suggestion would solder a leg(a solid piece like a lead off of an LED or resistor) to the end of the wire that goes into the EP so you don't have to drill the board.

4banger
04-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Check that the cells are fully charged. Pull the motor end bell off and see if the brushes are worn, And double check that your solder connection isn't bridged. I would imagine that something would fry, but I've seen stranger things. My suggestion would solder a leg(a solid piece like a lead off of an LED or resistor) to the end of the wire that goes into the EP so you don't have to drill the board.
nice explanation:nod: