BART
04-14-2007, 04:24 PM
See anything new???
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/zx9rbart/DSC00361.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/zx9rbart/DSC00360.jpg
Details coming soon.

Tightan
04-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Is that a big resistor or something? I'm not an electronics guy so i might be wrong:S

Oh and you cut a chunk of your cover! :L

noturday
04-14-2007, 04:56 PM
i think its a capacitor, which would boost the power goin to the motor after peak power from the batteries is reached at full throttle

librarianliam
04-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Bart you are finally trying this? it is a cap and it stores from the battery and goes to the motor for quick off the line acceleration...

BART
04-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Bart you are finally trying this? it is a cap and it stores from the battery and goes to the motor for quick off the line acceleration...

Bingo;) I'll update after the batts are charged. (if you look you can see the other mod that went along with this). I wrote a big article about this and decided to finally back up my own words.

Sweed
04-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Bingo;) I'll update after the batts are charged. (if you look you can see the other mod that went along with this). I wrote a big article about this and decided to finally back up my own words.

How much uF is in it?

You can make a circut based of BEAM Robotics pretty easily that builds up a large amount of power (10,000uF Cap should do it...), then dumps it, and cut's itself out, creating a straigh circut.

BART
04-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, I'm actually quite surprised...it worked better than I thought it would. I put a 6 cell on 2 of our xmods (mine and xmodkeiths) and quickly noticed that the top speed was dramatically improved but acceleration was not all that i was hoping for. This is easily explained as I increased overall voltage but did nothing really for current draw from the batteries. I used a 100 micro farad (uf) cap ($1.29) and soldered it directly to the ep (as I recommended in my sticky) where the battery wires connect. It's not a huge increase but it is most definitely noticeable...especially from a standstill. It definitely has more bottom end (and of course this in no way takes away from top speed). I do recommend that you be pretty proficient with a soldering iron before you try it and as always i will give more details if anyone is interested...maybe even a tut if this proves popular enough.

c1v1c
04-14-2007, 07:40 PM
So ur saying that it dosent increase the acceleration but does it reduce at 1 point or it has the same acceleration has a stock car???

BART
04-14-2007, 07:56 PM
So ur saying that it dosent increase the acceleration but does it reduce at 1 point or it has the same acceleration has a stock car???

sorry, but you lost me...

TheB1GDude
04-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Interesting! This was something I kept asking about a few months ago and I think maybe what inspired to you write your sticky!

Now by luck I happen to have a very similar cap sitting next to me on my desk I think maybe I'll slap it on my Mustang on Monday!!

Thanks!

BART
04-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Interesting! This was something I kept asking about a few months ago and I think maybe what inspired to you write your sticky!

Now by luck I happen to have a very similar cap sitting next to me on my desk I think maybe I'll slap it on my Mustang on Monday!!

Thanks!

Absolutely...your question (and untrue replies) made me write that. There are pretty close clearances on the negative wire just as a heads up. I was going to go with a bigger cap but used a 100uf as a starting point.

Sweed
04-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Bart, you lost me...

So it increase low end torque, meaning it would do good in crawling?

What do you think would happen if we strapped a 1000uF or 2000uF cap on there?

BART
04-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Bart, you lost me...

So it increase low end torque, meaning it would do good in crawling?

What do you think would happen if we strapped a 1000uF or 2000uF cap on there?

A capacitor in this situation is good for instantaneous power. The only way it would help in a crawler would be a burst of energy when going from a dead stop. I may put a bigger cap on later but the larger the cap the more current (this has nothing to do with voltage) there is instantly available and I have no idea what the limit is. Once you have taken off the cap does nothing so there is no sustained performance advantage...once my car is up too speed it is as if the cap is not there. It really can only help when taking off from a stop or when hitting the throttle after coasting or braking. I think it is much more suited for track use or general racing where you are on and off the throttle.

librarianliam
04-14-2007, 10:00 PM
what if you ran your batteries to a board with the cap on it and then from the board to your ep??would this get storage then withdrawl

BART
04-14-2007, 10:07 PM
what if you ran your batteries to a board with the cap on it and then from the board to your ep??would this get storage then withdrawl

Absolutely (not sure why you would do this though). There would be very very minimal loss compared to my way. (a capacitor in this instance works best as close to the source of draw as possible). If I can come up with a schematic of the xmod ep i may find a way to put a cap even closer to the output side of the board (maybe right before the fets)

librarianliam
04-14-2007, 10:09 PM
i dont understand exactly how they work so i dont know... i trust you on that one...

BART
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
i dont understand exactly how they work so i dont know... i trust you on that one...

In this case they work just like a rechargeable battery with the difference being they hold a limited amount of energy with the benefit of being able to discharge said energy nearly instantaneously.

Sweed
04-14-2007, 10:14 PM
If JSHWAA's stuff wasn't deleted, I could give you schematics of the board, or atleast the Gen1 board. But it should be somewere, I swear I've seen Evo Skematics somewre.

BART
04-14-2007, 10:21 PM
If JSHWAA's stuff wasn't deleted, I could give you schematics of the board, or atleast the Gen1 board. But it should be somewere, I swear I've seen Evo Skematics somewre.

The gains i could come up with from a schematic would only impress nerds (like me) who look at everything in life far deeper than need be. I doubt if it would be any better than what i did by putting the cap straight on the board. I know you, Liam, and B1g get this BUT FOR ANYONE ELSE... this is not adding to or replacing the caps on the motor!!! Doing so will guarantee a drop in performance. Certain members who used to post here alot are now preaching the motor cap crap on other sites. As with anything in life...do your own research.

Sweed
04-15-2007, 03:41 PM
It kinda hit me this morning.

The Evo servo motor only has two wires right? What about mounting the cap to help the servo with more torque, cause the stock evo servo is crap?

civic_guy
04-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I have a motor with a cap soldered on there, it's a stage 2 rewound gen 1 motor and it actually performs better than my other rewound gen 1 motors. It's not necessarily faster as it is more smooth and responsive. I've been doing a lot of testing of different motors for my Fairlady Z drifter. I'm no electronics expert but those are just my conclusions from the feel of driving the chasis.

When I did test the motors I used the same brand batteries the same controller etc. that way non of that would be a factor in my testing. I wasn't really testing the capacitor, it's just I noticed the motor with the capaitor drove better than those with the stock ones.

Like I said though...I don't have an explainantion for that cause I'm not an electronics expert (im still learning though) :)

BART
04-15-2007, 03:54 PM

The Evo servo motor only has two wires right? What about mounting the cap to help the servo with more torque, cause the stock evo servo is crap?

The cap would only get charged when there was power going to it...power only goes to the servo when it is turning the wheels, so this would not work. (this is why putting a bigger cap on the motor is useless)

REDisFASTER
04-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Switch the caps to resistors and you have your own tight-turns kit :p

BART
04-15-2007, 04:20 PM
I have a motor with a cap soldered on there, it's a stage 2 rewound gen 1 motor and it actually performs better than my other rewound gen 1 motors. It's not necessarily faster as it is more smooth and responsive. I've been doing a lot of testing of different motors for my Fairlady Z drifter. I'm no electronics expert but those are just my conclusions from the feel of driving the chasis.

When I did test the motors I used the same brand batteries the same controller etc. that way non of that would be a factor in my testing. I wasn't really testing the capacitor, it's just I noticed the motor with the capaitor drove better than those with the stock ones.

Like I said though...I don't have an explainantion for that cause I'm not an electronics expert (im still learning though) :)

I can definitely see how it would make it smoother as the output from the fets is a square wave and the cap would smooth the wave out. I just meant that there would be no power gain by using one on the motor. There are two caps on the motor in stock configuration...one to help smooth out the square wave and one to reduce electrical noise created by the brushes.

civic_guy
04-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I wasn't arguing with ya or anything I just figured I'd share what I've experienced just solely by driving them. :)