PDA

View Full Version : Something fried on my truck, not sure what or why

adamn84
04-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Ok, here's what happened. Kind of a long story.

Last night I attempted to start modification on the rear of my truck to fit a 180 in there. I removed the orange diif cover/motor cradle piece to trim and modify it.

That went ok. But as I went to screw the orange part back onto the truck and when I was putting on the top screw I noticed a puff of smoke from the truck. (somewhere from the board, didn't see exactly where) I also thought I smelt burning plastic, but not sure because I got a terrible sense of smell. I did have the batteries in, but the truck was off and the antenna was removed.

I reassembled the truck, and turned it on. The servo centered itself like normal but the motor wouldnt work. I turned it off and removed the cover on the board to see if anything looked burnt. Nothing looked unusual except on one of the fet's the solder points on one side looked a little brown.I reassembled it again and put fresh batteries in and turned it on. This time nothing happened at all.

Any ideas what happened? Am I the only one to fry an ep while putting a motor cradle on?

EDIT: I figured out what happened.

While taking apart my h2 chassis to swap the extended rear section on there I glance over and see the other truck smoking again. Apparently I had my s2 with neo mags sitting nearby and it was close enough to attract the crystal, and then both got stuck to the batteries. The batteries and the truck got extremely hot and started smoking.

I know one of the fet's is completely gone, its got a big bump in it and the solder points on one side are black, the other looks ok but. I bet the crystal and servo are probably dead, and I'm sure the rest of the board is junk now.

Lesson I learned is to keep a cleaner work area.

I guess I need to cash in the old penny jar and get a new board/servo.