PDA

View Full Version : how easy to install v2.2?

#1_05mustang
03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Well ive been really interested in running lithium and ive been scared about frying my fets because ive read on xmw about people installing liths and then after a couple mins they blew there fets. So i was wonderin if this is common (i have an evo if that helps) and if i should get a v2.2 board with the liths. I dont have alot of money so it would probaly be about a month and a half(my birthday) and how easy is it to install the v2.2 for like a super beginner solderer. One last thing i dont plan on running "hot" motors for awile.

civicblack10
03-30-2007, 10:19 PM
looking at the tut on AM it looks pretty simple but i would wait a little while till you become a intermediate just to be sure you dont fry it because their not the cheapest thing around.

#1_05mustang
03-30-2007, 10:24 PM
i already looked at the tut but i was jus wonderin if anyone has done it before and how hard it is. Also what about the liths burning the fets?

Yankee John
03-30-2007, 11:14 PM
You can use the Lith's without doing the V2.2 board- It is the MOTOR selection that determines whether or not you need the V2.2 board.

The board is a straightforward install if you use the how-to on Atomicmods and have some soldering experience.

John

#1_05mustang
03-30-2007, 11:35 PM
You can use the Lith's without doing the V2.2 board- It is the MOTOR selection that determines whether or not you need the V2.2 board.

The board is a straightforward install if you use the how-to on Atomicmods and have some soldering experience.

John

ive just been worried because ive read from people on xmw about installing liths and it fried there fets.Also if i fry my fets can i still install a v2.2 without having to replace them

mini-z_drifter
03-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Your fine man, you can run an S2 motor with lithiums anyday on any Xmod. I wouldn't worry about it unless you upgraded to a motor that is quicker then the S2. Don't worry about the people at XMW, they're all noob's and they're blowing up stuff cause they dont know what they are doing lol.

#1_05mustang
03-31-2007, 12:32 AM
ok thanks i will get some liths now and wait till my birthday for a v2.2

bondo
03-31-2007, 01:19 AM
Your fine man, you can run an S2 motor with lithiums anyday on any Xmod. I wouldn't worry about it unless you upgraded to a motor that is quicker then the S2. Don't worry about the people at XMW, they're all noob's and they're blowing up stuff cause they dont know what they are doing lol.

ok man, i dont know you and i dont know your experiance but you need to take a closer look at the members of XMW.
while there may be a few members on there that are noob, the majority is well versed in scale R/C.
i cant say that i like most of them but there's no denying that they know their ****.
if you want to come down to terms, this site is the most noob freindly.
to tell the truth, ive never seen a site with so many noob assed questions

WRX Ryder
03-31-2007, 02:49 AM
hmmm.okay so i got this motor faster than a stage 2 but it doesnt need upgraded FET's.is that alright?i didnt get to try it yet cuz theres some thing wrong with my charger

skylinedriver
03-31-2007, 06:18 AM
The installation of the V2 is pretty easy. The toughest part is the 4 small wires in the middle. I haven't installed it on an EVO chassis yet but plan on doing it soon. The motor you have (FET safe) should be fine. Any motor than pulls 2.0A or higher (no load) needs a FET upgrade or a V2 on a Gen 1. EVO chassis can run hotter motors.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/skylinedrifter/100_0363.jpg

V2 on an EVO (will be installed soon)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/skylinedrifter/100_0756.jpg

#1_05mustang
03-31-2007, 04:57 PM
The installation of the V2 is pretty easy. The toughest part is the 4 small wires in the middle. I haven't installed it on an EVO chassis yet but plan on doing it soon. The motor you have (FET safe) should be fine. Any motor than pulls 2.0A or higher (no load) needs a FET upgrade or a V2 on a Gen 1. EVO chassis can run hotter motors.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/skylinedrifter/100_0363.jpg

V2 on an EVO (will be installed soon)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/skylinedrifter/100_0756.jpg

Thanks and just wondering how hard do you think the small wires would be for a novice solderer.If there hard i might just have my dad do it.

jimmythekid1
03-31-2007, 05:45 PM

Every one Say's no you don't need a fet upgrade for liths, I have always thought of it as good insurance. I can't speak for evos since I've never had one, but gen 1 fets can handle a consistent 2 amps before you run into problems. A normal rwd xmod with stock power supply rarely reaches 1 amp under normal driving conditions. But using some tools or toys I have I've tested to find that a stock xmod can peak over 2 amps for a short time with no problems, the tools I used were a low amps probe and an oscilloscope.

ok lets us an extreme case, ok you have just installed an awd kit, something is out of alignment, causing binding and the car barley moves, then you get stuck on a fly turd and the car won't move. Do you let the throttle go? no I hold it down and try to get unstuck, i do this for a long time, what do you know my motor is **** hot. So i finally give up and go ahead and fix my awd issue and the **** car still won't move, after further inspection I realized I overheated and burnt my fets.... So what happened?

All they binding loaded the hell out of the motor, the harder it had to try to move the more current it drew, causing it to burn a fet with stock power supply. That is a true story.

Now lets us ohms law

voltage divided by resistance equals amps
6volt/6.66ohms=.9 amps normal running motor RS S2

8.4volts/6.66ohms=1.26 amps running normal RS S2
with liths running normal we are just .74 amps away from possibly doing damage, now if something binds or we get stuck it is much easier to burn fets.

That is why I always recommend a fet upgrade or V2 with a power supply upgrade.

my $0.02

#1_05mustang
03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
thanks

mini-z_drifter
04-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey Jimmy did you steal that from one of your other topics lol, but yeah it is good to have upgraded FET's for hop ups other then RS.

jimmythekid1
04-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey Jimmy did you steal that from one of your other topics lol, but yeah it is good to have upgraded FET's for hop ups other then RS.

no, I posted it hee first then a mod PM me and asked me to post it as it's own topic.

Sweed
04-03-2007, 10:14 PM
they're all noob's and they're blowing up stuff

1.) We have a few Noob's here and there, but not much.
2.) I'm pretty sure I know more about xmods than most people on here, and I'm primarily on XMW.
3.) Junk-Mod-Er is the only one that blows stuff up.
-Get your fact straight...

What car is this, Gen1 or Evo? On a Gen1, if you have Neo's becareful with the gearing, as mine blew on my Gen1 when I put lith's in...

But the motor was a BB Can, Neo's, and Carbon Brushes, so the Amp pull was raised, then it was geared high and voltage was high, so it blew after running on 150*F+ Asphalt for 30minutes..

#1_05mustang
04-03-2007, 10:26 PM
its an evo

skylinedriver
04-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Here are some pics of the V2 installed on an EVO chassis.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/skylinedrifter/100_0877.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/skylinedrifter/100_0878.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/skylinedrifter/100_0880.jpg

#1_05mustang
04-07-2007, 11:41 PM
WOW thats really nice. Did mount it with anything and how hard was it cuz ive gotten alot better at soldering.

bondo
04-08-2007, 05:52 AM
1.) We have a few Noob's here and there, but not much.
2.) I'm pretty sure I know more about xmods than most people on here, and I'm primarily on XMW.
3.) Junk-Mod-Er is the only one that blows stuff up.
-Get your fact straight...

What car is this, Gen1 or Evo? On a Gen1, if you have Neo's becareful with the gearing, as mine blew on my Gen1 when I put lith's in...

But the motor was a BB Can, Neo's, and Carbon Brushes, so the Amp pull was raised, then it was geared high and voltage was high, so it blew after running on 150*F+ Asphalt for 30minutes..

well c'mon now sweed. in all fairness to junk, he's either trying to blow something up or testing it's limits.
117v to a gen1 motor and he only blew the cap...!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zVYziIJ_v8k
like i said,XMW as it stands is probably your best source for after-aftermarket modifcations(soon to be replaced by the new leader;) details soon)
this site is compiled of mostly full on noobs with the exception of a few very talented minds and they know who they are.

#1_05, good to see you got it squared away.

cheers,
bondo

skylinedriver
04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
WOW thats really nice. Did mount it with anything and how hard was it cuz ive gotten alot better at soldering.

I mounted it with Velcro which can be had at RS. It's not that hard to install. The best way I found to install it is to use the end card connector to make the 4 small wire connections.

Life
04-08-2007, 01:11 PM
i was banned from xmodworld they are all ignorant with exception of peeps that visit both

this is an awesome forum

dude i run liths on a truck using a stage 1 motor
i hot glued the liths and i did on another few chasis fri fets using pn motors cause it was liths but u only need stock fets

skylinedriver
04-08-2007, 09:05 PM
i was banned from xmodworld they are all ignorant with exception of peeps that visit both

this is an awesome forum

dude i run liths on a truck using a stage 1 motor
i hot glued the liths and i did on another few chasis fri fets using pn motors cause it was liths but u only need stock fets

I have no clue what you just said?!?

#1_05mustang
04-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I have no clue what you just said?!?

same here lol
But back on topic i was thinkin about just using the edgecard part for the small wires when i get one so i emailed atomicmods asking them if there is any difference to use the edgecard part. Im still waiting for a reply though.

skylinedriver
04-08-2007, 10:29 PM
same here lol
But back on topic i was thinkin about just using the edgecard part for the small wires when i get one so i emailed atomicmods asking them if there is any difference to use the edgecard part. Im still waiting for a reply though.

You can use the edge card to make connections. They provide a "road map" if you will of the V2 on their site under the V2 FAQ's. but the site is down right now.