PDA

View Full Version : 7 Cell Subaru

ScoobyBoy
03-12-2007, 04:17 AM
Is it ok to run 7 Cells on my Scooby or is 6 the limit? And does anyone know where I can find a Tut for installing this.. I can only find Tuts for the Evolution cars. :roll:

Netcon
03-12-2007, 04:52 AM
In my opinion it should be ok, yes i seen a tut somwhere but i cant remember where..

Joe.
03-12-2007, 04:58 AM
In my opinion it should be ok, yes i seen a tut somwhere but i cant remember where..

No, it's not ok. Install a 5V regulator, and then yes, it's ok. Otherwise you'll fry your EP.
That's 7cellsx1.2v = 8.4V... = not safe with your stock EP. It's still risky to run 6.

4banger
03-12-2007, 07:56 AM
yes, if you have enough voltage and ways to get it are stacking fets or get a v2
board;)

ScoobyBoy
03-12-2007, 10:28 AM
So as it is (stock[no electronic upgrades]) It would be OK but still risky?

How many Volts can I go upto then with no electronic upgrades?

REDisFASTER
03-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Hold on before confirmation from the others who've done it. As far as I know, 6-cell should be your maximum 'safe' limit with stock electronics.

Archon_Ramie
03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
My Lancer is a 7 cell, but I don't know if there is a difference in the electronics between first and second gen as far as that goes.

Darkmagik
03-12-2007, 05:50 PM
second generation cars lean toward a better electronics board than the gen1s but its not that big of a difference.

kataklysm
03-12-2007, 06:01 PM
the max voltage for gen1 is 8.4 volts so it's not good for your subie :(

Joe.
03-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I can't see why it takes so many people to get somebody to realize, like 3 people have said it so far... and the guy seems to still want to know if it's safe... I'll try once more.. maybe this will help.

Each AAA cell = 1.2V
So,

2 cells = 2.4V
3 cells = 3.6V
4 cells = 4.8V (This is the stock voltage for your xmod)
5 cells = 6.0V (This is still a safe voltage)
6 cells = 7.2V (This is pretty safe, but not 100% proof)
7 cells = 8.4V (This is NOT safe to run your car)

Besides, adding cells increases weight, read up on Lithium batteries, do as much reading as possible, get yourself set up to use them, a multimeter, a good charger, a safe place to charge, and then go for a Lithium battery setup, this will increase your speed by so much, as well as your runtime.

Also, remember that if you are going to use 5 or 6 cells, they will need to be the same cells, and also be as close as possible to the same age, otherwise your batteries will wear out extremely quick, and you won't be getting much more performance, so your best bet would be to purchase 6 brand new rechargeable batteries and use those, that way they will all be the exact same voltages, same amount of charge on them always, and same mah rating, that will give you much better performance.

civicblack10
03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
you could do a 7 cell but thats the max the board can handle(8.4v). i wouldnt recommend it just do a 6 cell or liths. 7 cell would be a "use at your own risk".

RedSXmodder
03-12-2007, 07:39 PM
It should still work. I'm pretty sure there are a few guys here that run it...

Later,
RedSXmodder

ScoobyBoy
03-13-2007, 04:13 AM
I can't see why it takes so many people to get somebody to realize, like 3 people have said it so far... and the guy seems to still want to know if it's safe... I'll try once more.. maybe this will help.

Each AAA cell = 1.2V
So,

2 cells = 2.4V
3 cells = 3.6V
4 cells = 4.8V (This is the stock voltage for your xmod)
5 cells = 6.0V (This is still a safe voltage)
6 cells = 7.2V (This is pretty safe, but not 100% proof)
7 cells = 8.4V (This is NOT safe to run your car)

Besides, adding cells increases weight, read up on Lithium batteries, do as much reading as possible, get yourself set up to use them, a multimeter, a good charger, a safe place to charge, and then go for a Lithium battery setup, this will increase your speed by so much, as well as your runtime.

Also, remember that if you are going to use 5 or 6 cells, they will need to be the same cells, and also be as close as possible to the same age, otherwise your batteries will wear out extremely quick, and you won't be getting much more performance, so your best bet would be to purchase 6 brand new rechargeable batteries and use those, that way they will all be the exact same voltages, same amount of charge on them always, and same mah rating, that will give you much better performance.

Your the Man! Thanks... Finally a straight answer to my straight question! Liths are too expensive :(

Joe.
03-13-2007, 04:52 AM
Not a problem! Glad I could help you out, fire away with any more questions you have. :)

ScoobyBoy
03-13-2007, 10:50 AM
I will do! I think im gonna get a 6 Cell upgrade from ebay soon. :D Thanks again!

Archon_Ramie
03-13-2007, 04:05 PM
I will do! I think im gonna get a 6 Cell upgrade from ebay soon. :D Thanks again!

You can go to RS and get the tray for less than $2.

ScoobyBoy
03-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I dont live in McDonalds land.. I live in UK :D :lol:

Archon_Ramie
03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
I dont live in McDonalds land.. I live in UK :D :lol:

So you guys don't have a comparable electronics store in FishandChipsland?

ScoobyBoy
03-16-2007, 09:33 PM
So you guys don't have a comparable electronics store in FishandChipsland?

Im afraid not.. :lol: You can't beat a good Fish and Chips though :bigwink: