PDA

View Full Version : Is Ford going out of business?

jabari
02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
I heard a little while ago that Fords are going out of business due to unions bringing them down. Is this true?

blckhwk422
02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
i find it hard to believe that there going out of business

Skyline5654
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Where did you hear this from? Sounds like another rumor

joe913
02-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Not to get political but that's why unions are BAD. I haven't heard about Ford going under, but I have heard that GM is in talks to buy chrysler.

Iche-1
02-28-2007, 05:52 PM
I heard a little while ago that Fords are going out of business due to unions bringing them down. Is this true?

they have taken a few huge hits in the past few years. they just closed down a big ford plant in my area last year.

Numbchux
02-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Not to get political but that's why unions are BAD. I haven't heard about Ford going under, but I have heard that GM is in talks to buy chrysler.

wrong. it's just crappy marketing and business decisions on Ford's part

going out of business? I doubt it. but I've heard from a number of sources that they're no longer making money. the Ranger plant in the Twin Cities closed about a year ago.

Ford has never built a quality product, they've always been about price, undercutting the competition. well, the consumers have realized this and decided that they are willing to pay a bit more for a quality product....like an import, or even a GM or Mopar.

Nissanshift350
02-28-2007, 05:55 PM
i sure hope they dont go under imho they are the best company ever thank you henry ford the world owes ya one lol. if they go out of buisness im gonna freak out

BlackSky909
02-28-2007, 06:11 PM
wrong. it's just crappy marketing and business decisions on Ford's part

going out of business? I doubt it. but I've heard from a number of sources that they're no longer making money. the Ranger plant in the Twin Cities closed about a year ago.

Ford has never built a quality product, they've always been about price, undercutting the competition. well, the consumers have realized this and decided that they are willing to pay a bit more for a quality product....like an import, or even a GM or Mopar.

Never built a quality product? F-150 #1 seller 28 years and running. I doubt theyre going out of business, just cutting back.

mini-z drift
02-28-2007, 06:15 PM
well they made a lot of concept cars at the International autoshow in detroit
( MSNBC News had a 1 hour show about the cars there )

THE EDJ
02-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Never built a quality product? F-150 #1 seller 28 years and running. I doubt theyre going out of business, just cutting back.

sales mean nothing when it comes to quality. mcdonalds makes billions every year, but its not because they have the best food out there. they make money because its marketable and easy to mass produce, which in the end gives us a cheaper, lower quality product. just like ford. they have been running into a lot of financial difficulty lately, i doubt they will quit operating, but they are taking hits to profit. all ford has going for them is the F-150, they don't make much off of their cars or vans, too many people are buying japanese makes because they are of far better quality. if the F-150 starts doing really poorly in sales, then Ford will have a lot to deal with.

BlackSky909
02-28-2007, 06:28 PM
sales mean nothing when it comes to quality. mcdonalds makes billions every year, but its not because they have the best food out there. they make money because its marketable and easy to mass produce, which in the end gives us a cheaper, lower quality product. just like ford. they have been running into a lot of financial difficulty lately, i doubt they will quit operating, but they are taking hits to profit. all ford has going for them is the F-150, they don't make much off of their cars or vans, too many people are buying japanese makes because they are of far better quality. if the F-150 starts doing really poorly in sales, then Ford will have a lot to deal with.

I agree, but still the F-Series trucks are good quality. Also if they're F-150 starts doing poorly in sales I think they could kiss their *** goodbye.

Iche-1
02-28-2007, 07:05 PM
I agree, but still the F-Series trucks are good quality. Also if they're F-150 starts doing poorly in sales I think they could kiss their *** goodbye.

the f-series are the most popular trucks in the construction field. every contractor i know that has a truck is an f-series truck.

i have 2 ford rangers for work trucks myself.

Nissanshift350
02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
my family has a farming history and has all ways used ford trucks and even in my construction job everyone has a f-series. and on the job site you have to have a durable truck and the mustang is loved world wide so i dont see ford leaving us any time in the near future.

BlackSky909
02-28-2007, 07:44 PM
my family has a farming history and has all ways used ford trucks and even in my construction job everyone has a f-series. and on the job site you have to have a durable truck and the mustang is loved world wide so i dont see ford leaving us any time in the near future.

Of course the Mustang is loved its a F-body Killa.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/BlackSky909/100_1487.jpg

Just a Modified V6,5-speed. Still sexy though :)

Numbchux
02-28-2007, 08:05 PM
as already mentioned, sales is nothing.

every ford I've known has needed an insane amount of maintenence to keep them on the road....

AND, they've had to cut the price so much that they're making very little profit on them.

if it weren't for the F150, and the government deal for Police Interceptors....Ford would be spending more on production of their vehicles, than they make through the sales of said vehicles.

My girlfriend's dad is a construction worker, they use virtually exclusively Toyotas for the smaller stuff, and chevies for the big stuff, because they've had tons of problems with Fords.

THE EDJ
02-28-2007, 08:29 PM
the f-series are the most popular trucks in the construction field. every contractor i know that has a truck is an f-series truck.

i have 2 ford rangers for work trucks myself.

I live in an area where the oil industry thrives, and this is dodge country, although you start to chevs and some of the import trucks a lot more often too. why do you see fords on sites and job like this? it may not be true, but in my opinion its because no one wants to thrash a chev or a dodge into oblivion. i might drive a ford for work, but for my own personal use, never. I dont think im the only one who thinks this way, and if that is so, ford better hope that more people dont start thinking the same way.

BlackSky909
02-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Its all personal on what you like.

tmr555
02-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Never built a quality product? F-150 #1 seller 28 years

yeah so you peeps just stop arguing. my dad owewns an f-150 with i think 55,000 - 60,000 miles on his truck and hes only had to change the tires and redo half of the exaust. by the way its an 03' my grandfather has a 2000 ranger. hes done absolutly nuthing to it!!! and he has like 70,000 miles on it. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: so just stop arguing. for you people who like
mazda, volvo, aston matrtin,jaguar, and landrover!!! not forgeting lincoln and mercury there all FORDS sooo.... those are all QUALITY CARS AND TRUCKS END OF CONVERSTION:eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz:

minesskylineracer
02-28-2007, 08:40 PM
fords only break because they are beaten to death look on the road and look for chevy's and dodges with mud on them you'll maybe find one or two look for ford and boom tons and ford isnt going out of business ford is purposely loosing stock value to bring it back to a family owned business instead of a stock business in around 7 years they plan 2 have the company back with the ford family only (my teacher at my votech school was the lead instructor at ford for 26 years and still recieves info like this)

jimmythekid1
02-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Ford, Chevy, Dodge, import Chorgesport that all have thier little problems none of them are perfect I'm a master technian, and work in a high volume indepdent repair facility, i work on all of these makes. As far as I'm concerned they are all crap bring back the horse and buggy!

Sweed
02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
yeah so you peeps just stop arguing. my dad owewns an f-150 with i think 55,000 - 60,000 miles on his truck and hes only had to change the tires and redo half of the exaust. by the way its an 03' my grandfather has a 2000 ranger. hes done absolutly nuthing to it!!! and he has like 70,000 miles on it. : so just stop arguing. for you people who like
mazda, volvo, aston matrtin,jaguar, and landrover!!! not forgeting lincoln and mercury there all FORDS sooo.... those are all QUALITY CARS AND TRUCKS END OF CONVERSTION

60,000 miles and you only have to do the exhust? Real quality... My cousins golf ran for 300,000 miles, just fine, and POORLY maintained... My dad's accord, which I do maintnence on, has hit 120,000 miles, and no engine work yet. The AC went out, but it's hot in Florida... Mum's Volvo has hit the 45,000 mile mark, and runs perfect. Grandma's blown Volvo has ran an easy 50,000, and is doing fine, considering it is raced every weekend.

If ford can make cars as good as you can type, I guess they must be the best in the world...

Now, there are rutine things that go at some point on all cars, Alternators, Oil Change, Tires, AC, Battery, so on, but exhust? Okay. The landrover must not be very durable, seeing as it is the only car that can be used in Africa, cept for the Humvee... But, you know, the F line must be so much better than a Landrover. Okay...

i sure hope they dont go under imho they are the best company ever thank you henry ford the world owes ya one lol. if they go out of buisness im gonna freak out

Owe him for? Mass, Mass Production? Cars were in Germany years before the ran on petrol in the US....

I live in an area where the oil industry thrives, and this is dodge country, although you start to chevs and some of the import trucks a lot more often too. why do you see fords on sites and job like this? it may not be true, but in my opinion its because no one wants to thrash a chev or a dodge into oblivion. i might drive a ford for work, but for my own personal use, never. I dont think im the only one who thinks this way, and if that is so, ford better hope that more people dont start thinking the same way.

Good point. Ford is DOMESTIC, HERE. That's all. In europe it's all Volvo and EU cars, trucks, and tractors... Wait, did I say truck? the US is pretty much one of few places were gas is cheap enough to drive a turck....

Ford is low quality. They are loosing money now, and have been...

I have nothing against muscle and the F line, but, I'm not a fan of driving a 15mpg F150 to work everyday. Get a civic.... What 30 mpg? The older ones got upwards of 50 mpg, and ran forever, and ever, and ever, and ever....

BlackSky909
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Oh yea, also my Grandfather 1995 F-250 has 370k miles never had a problem and its not a diesel.

BOBCABOB
02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
my dad's got an 02 F-350 100k+ mi. and no problems what so ever except the reg. oil change and he's got a diesel.

jabari
02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
one thing you can think about is that today things arent built to last. If companies build products that last forever and ever and ever they would loose money. Like back then things were built to last because there was little money then. Now im not saying that ford, dodge, chevy, toyota, etc... suck but when they say they last forever nowadays think about that.

BOBCABOB
02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
true it's either they would have to make them less durable(no one wants that) or raise prices which no one probably wants either.

BlackSky909
02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
one thing you can think about is that today things arent built to last. If companies build products that last forever and ever and ever they would loose money. Like back then things were built to last because there was little money then. Now im not saying that ford, dodge, chevy, toyota, etc... suck but when they say they last forever nowadays think about that.

Also all depends on how you maintain it.

BOBCABOB
02-28-2007, 09:35 PM
thats true, but my dad beats on his everyday.

Numbchux
02-28-2007, 10:16 PM
It doesn't matter who really makes the quality product. the fact of the matter is that ford is no longer making money. they're making cars, but they're not making a profit. mercury and lincoln included.

XMDrifter
02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
my dad's toyota corrolla has been used for 10 years and it'd had no problems whatsoever. my dad bought a ford tempo and it went out like a light in less than 3 years

Iche-1
02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
yeah so you peeps just stop arguing. my dad owewns an f-150 with i think 55,000 - 60,000 miles on his truck and hes only had to change the tires and redo half of the exaust. by the way its an 03' my grandfather has a 2000 ranger. hes done absolutly nuthing to it!!! and he has like 70,000 miles on it. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: so just stop arguing. for you people who like
mazda, volvo, aston matrtin,jaguar, and landrover!!! not forgeting lincoln and mercury there all FORDS sooo.... those are all QUALITY CARS AND TRUCKS END OF CONVERSTION:eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz: :eyecraz:

my rangers are both over 200,000 and i have no problems with them. my bronco is an 85 and ive beat the hell out of that thing and it just keeps kicking. my mechanic checks them regularly and i havent had any major problems. the biggest for my bronco was having the clutch changed. my bronco just made a road trip from va to south florida.

jabari
02-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Also all depends on how you maintain it.

oh yea that very true also. my uncle has an early nissan pick-up and he gets new tires every year, realinging, tune-up, the whole 9 yards and that truck runs true.

Numbchux
03-01-2007, 02:53 AM
my mechanic

that says a lot right there. my mechanic is ME. in fact, I'm frequently someone else's mechanic.

in fact, I'm currently working to resurrect my toyota 4Runner that, with 180k miles on it, was run WITHOUT oil for 300 miles....

new thrust washers: $8
new piston seals: $6
new wrist pins: $3
new gaskets needed to be replaced to replace the above (head, oil pan, timing chain cover etc.): ~$50

getting a rust-free gen1 4Runner in MN for less than $2k....priceless!

now, if only it would stop snowing long enough that I could make some progress on it....

adamn84
03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Both Ford and GM have made gains in quality over the past decade, and even passed up Toyota and Honda in a couple areas.

The unions are the main thing bringing them down. Ford has some cars that sell extremely well (Mustang, Fusion, Escape, etc.), sales aren't the problem, unions are.

kidZim
03-01-2007, 03:11 PM
^--
that's hard to believe..

jimmythekid1
03-02-2007, 06:49 AM
that says a lot right there. my mechanic is ME. in fact, I'm frequently someone else's mechanic.

in fact, I'm currently working to resurrect my toyota 4Runner that, with 180k miles on it, was run WITHOUT oil for 300 miles....

new thrust washers: $8
new piston seals: $6
new wrist pins: $3
new gaskets needed to be replaced to replace the above (head, oil pan, timing chain cover etc.): ~$50

getting a rust-free gen1 4Runner in MN for less than $2k....priceless!

now, if only it would stop snowing long enough that I could make some progress on it....

If that thing was ran for that long with no oil I would like you would need more then that, for example, OD crank shaft, main and rod bearings, an OD line boar at the machine shop, and the list could go on. I look for a used engine.
Plus being ran for that long I don't now how it wouldn't throw a rod.

Flat 4 Racing
03-02-2007, 09:33 AM

No, Ford is not going out of business. They're the third largest automaker in the world, right behind GM and Toyota. However, Ford is going through a serious reconstruction process as they continue to lose marketshare.

In other automotive news, Daimler is negotiating the sale of Chrysler, most notably to GM, but GM appears to be backing away from the deal. Due to GM's loss of marketshare, they really need to be concentrating on their own products, which seem to be very promising, at least from what I've recently seen in numerous automotive publications.

Also keep in mind that Toyota is expected to surpass GM as the world's largest automaker by 2010. However, Toyota is having some issues of their own, most notably an increase in recalls and slipping quality.

librarianliam
03-02-2007, 10:06 AM
i never thought ford had the best quality... i think their downfall is going to be them making cheap cars and selling them for cheaper... as far as the Toyota thing they are going up in the world and lets face it ford is going down...

Flat 4 Racing
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
i never thought ford had the best quality... i think their downfall is going to be them making cheap cars and selling them for cheaper... as far as the Toyota thing they are going up in the world and lets face it ford is going down...

Absolutely. Ford is going through some horrible times right now, and Mullally better get his butt in gear. After all, he took over as CEO when Bill Ford stepped aside. So much for their "Way Forward Thinking" plan.

Not to mention, just to save some marketshare, they're trying to sell off there was discussion of selling Jaguar, and I believe that Aston Martin is on the block.

Right now, Ford is treading water, not only with the Ford brand, but with Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, and Aston Martin. However, Ford is totally redesigning Jaguar, and moving away from the classic "Jaguar-look" is either going to make them or break them. I'm wishing good things for Ford, but they're not looking half as promising as GM is.

Now that Toyota is pretty much at the top of the food chain, there are talks of quality slippage and some "un-Toyota-esque" cost cutting techniques going on. We'll see how Toyota weathers the storm.....

atruebudfan
03-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Not yet no, but if they don't stop whats going on they might.

GM and Toyota's sales rose and Ford and Chrysler's fell during February, Ford has been losing sales since last year. They lost 12.7 billion last year, and right now there mostly living on Mustang and Truck sales.

And Ford people are worrying with 2 new Trucks ( Silverado and Tundra) coming out this year, that they might even lose more money this year.
Ford was falling as fast as GM was a few years back, GM though is on the rise while Ford still stumbles. Ford has been trying everything to Gian something back, they already have laid off many workers, they also auctioned off Austin Martin to a designer purse company.

And don't forget the new Camaro comes out in late 2008 or early 2009, and which is supposed to be cheaper then the Mustang.

REDisFASTER
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
if they're F-150 starts doing poorly in sales I think they could kiss their *** goodbye.

I've got the same thought down for Honda. Without their Civic, their second-best seller, the Accord, still wouldn't be able to hold up. If Honda dropped the Civic, they're basically throwing billions and billions of dollars in future sales and even with the Accord, they will eventually go down.

The new Camaro they'll be coming out should be a good seller. It keeps true to its classic-looking roots much like the Mustang. I just don't understand what Dodge did with their Charger... Since when was the charger a 4-door? And why is the 300C, Magnum, and Charger based on the same chassis?

The Dodge Challenger concept should be good for Mopar's sales though. They kept the re-release with very similar styling as its original.

How did Ford do when they sold those Rangers and F-150s that had the curvy looking bed with sidesteps just infront of the wheel wells? I think everyone's focused on making trucks look nice now than with trucking's old grassroots of being boxy and being covered in mud.

Flat 4 Racing
03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Not yet no, but if they don't stop whats going on they might.

GM and Toyota's sales rose and Ford and Chrysler's fell during February, Ford has been losing sales since last year. They lost 12.7 billion last year, and right now there mostly living on Mustang and Truck sales.

And Ford people are worrying with 2 new Trucks ( Silverado and Tundra) coming out this year, that they might even lose more money this year.
Ford was falling as fast as GM was a few years back, GM though is on the rise while Ford still stumbles. Ford has been trying everything to Gian something back, they already have laid off many workers, they also auctioned off Austin Martin to a designer purse company.

And don't forget the new Camaro comes out in late 2008 or early 2009, and which is supposed to be cheaper then the Mustang.

Apparently, the Camaro is due to drop in 2009 as a 2010 model, which makes perfect sense. When the Camaro was discontinued in 2002, GM signed an agreement with Canada that a car with the "Camaro" name would not be manufactured for at least 7 years afterwards because of the St. Therese factory closing its doors, putting a lot of people out of work.

Right now Ford is relying on Mustang and Truck sales, as you mentioned. Even though Ford has the #1 selling truck, it's not nearly enough to keep them afloat in this day and age. Aside from the Mustang and F Series trucks, their product line is extremely weak. Ford has even decided to drop the Mercury Montego and Ford Five Hundred nameplates for next year, hoping to regain some of their customer base by rebadging them as the Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus. One of the biggest mistakes Ford made was dropping the Taurus nameplate, especially considering it was America's top selling midsize sedan.

Ford is going about things the wrong way by laying people off. What they need to be doing is focusing on a stronger product line if they want to succeed.

Right now, I'm surely glad I don't own any stock in Ford, however, I'm thinking about dropping a few Gs on some GM stock, because things are certainly looking up for them.

ferrarip4.5
03-02-2007, 11:06 PM
i personally dont like american cars but ok ford gt is one bad *** supercar, no doubt. most american cars..in general, lack elagence

Sweed
03-02-2007, 11:26 PM
i personally dont like american cars but ok ford gt is one bad *** supercar, no doubt. most american cars..in general, lack elagence

No. Both new and old caddy's are nice, the GT40 is cool, and *some* American cars here and there have elegance, but I think the biggest thing is that many people grow up learning about American Muscle, and the so-called "power-cars", or that American Cars are cheap...

But it's true, if Honda dropped the Civic, or even just the vtec, sales would go no were... But vtec and REV technology is beautiful, great power and great milage...

Flat 4 Racing
03-02-2007, 11:33 PM
No. Both new and old caddy's are nice, the GT40 is cool, and *some* American cars here and there have elegance, but I think the biggest thing is that many people grow up learning about American Muscle, and the so-called "power-cars", or that American Cars are cheap...

But it's true, if Honda dropped the Civic, or even just the vtec, sales would go no were... But vtec and REV technology is beautiful, great power and great milage...

Yeah, I think there are plenty of elegant domestic machines. While these are arguably elegant machines, I guess some people have never heard of Saleen S7s, Dodge Vipers, Cadillac XLRs, Ford GTs, or Corvettes.

The biggest load of crap I've ever heard is how domestic cars are crap. I've owned a great number of domestics, as have my parents, and they have all held up very well, save for my parents' old 1997 Chevy Malibu.

You're so very right about Honda. Without VTEC, they'd probably go nowhere. Not to mention, Hondas make less torque than lawnmowers.

Numbchux
03-02-2007, 11:42 PM
If that thing was ran for that long with no oil I would like you would need more then that, for example, OD crank shaft, main and rod bearings, an OD line boar at the machine shop, and the list could go on. I look for a used engine.
Plus being ran for that long I don't now how it wouldn't throw a rod.

my point exactly. Toyota 22RE and Subaru EJ22E > *

jimmythekid1
03-03-2007, 12:17 PM

in general this is how you spell "elegance" LOL

firebird999
03-03-2007, 10:53 PM
yea thats a rumor. they are doing better in the stock market which is helping and they thought of teaming up with toyota, but theyre doing so much better that they dont need to.i explained it so well that i bet this thread wont last w/o being called spam.
lol

fordredneck
03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
**** i have a 92 grand marquis, ford product, i havent changed the oil in 2 years, the only thing ive had to do is change the tires every couple years, and i had to have the front and rear seal, because i pulled my friends honda 100 miles, to his house, but i got that fixed in a day for $50, plus ford is merging with toyota, i guess so they can get their qaulity and fuel econ. up or something, i know when this happens their stock is going to jump, i dont know its just a theory

SUPERSHELBY
03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
if ford goes outta business (i hope they dont) it will be sad 2 see the mustang go away, if the mustang goes outta production (i hope it doesnt) it should go outta production in style

Flat 4 Racing
03-07-2007, 10:47 PM
**** i have a 92 grand marquis, ford product, i havent changed the oil in 2 years, the only thing ive had to do is change the tires every couple years, and i had to have the front and rear seal, because i pulled my friends honda 100 miles, to his house, but i got that fixed in a day for $50, plus ford is merging with toyota, i guess so they can get their qaulity and fuel econ. up or something, i know when this happens their stock is going to jump, i dont know its just a theory

Where did you hear this? I haven't heard anything about Ford merging with Toyota.

SUPERSHELBY
03-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Where did you hear this? I haven't heard anything about Ford merging with Toyota.

www.autoblog.com they have the story

Numbchux
03-08-2007, 05:33 PM
www.autoblog.com they have the story

yea, and getting your car info from autoblog is like getting news from the onion :roll:

jimmythekid1
03-09-2007, 06:47 AM

Why on earth would you not change your oil for 2 years? I mean it's cheap matteness, by the way carbon is what makes your oil black, carbon is one of the hardest most abrasive materials on earth. Get my drift.

Flat 4 Racing
03-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Why on earth would you not change your oil for 2 years? I mean it's cheap matteness, by the way carbon is what makes your oil black, carbon is one of the hardest most abrasive materials on earth. Get my drift.

Good point. Heck, I change the oil in "my babies" every 2500 miles, RELIGIOUSLY.

Oil- 2500 milies
Transmission- 10,000 miles
Rear fluid- 12,000 miles
Coolant flush- 12,000 miles
Brake fluid- 12,000 miles
Power steering flush- 12,000 miles

I don't know where to start, but it's not hard to keep a vehicle in good running order. Sure, you spend a little bit, but the reward is a car that lasts a very long time. But, I go overboard. However, the ending result is that I love my cars and my cars love me back. :D

Numbchux
03-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Good point. Heck, I change the oil in "my babies" every 2500 miles, RELIGIOUSLY.

Oil- 2500 milies
Transmission- 10,000 miles
Rear fluid- 12,000 miles
Coolant flush- 12,000 miles
Brake fluid- 12,000 miles
Power steering flush- 12,000 miles

I don't know where to start, but it's not hard to keep a vehicle in good running order. Sure, you spend a little bit, but the reward is a car that lasts a very long time. But, I go overboard. However, the ending result is that I love my cars and my cars love me back. :D

+1

the motor in my wagon is going on 240k miles.....runs smoother than almost any other car I've driven.

this summer, I'll throw a little belt-driven boost at it....and see how it holds up

Flat 4 Racing
03-09-2007, 09:04 PM
+1

the motor in my wagon is going on 240k miles.....runs smoother than almost any other car I've driven.

this summer, I'll throw a little belt-driven boost at it....and see how it holds up

What do you drive?

jabari
03-09-2007, 09:09 PM
well personally i dont like ford. so buh bye if they leave.

Numbchux
03-09-2007, 10:38 PM
What do you drive?

subaru loyale wagon with a phase I EJ22e swapped in it.

jabari
03-09-2007, 10:42 PM
subaru imo has to be the best of all car manufacturers. They build their cars with such durability its amazing.

Flat 4 Racing
03-10-2007, 07:13 AM
subaru loyale wagon with a phase I EJ22e swapped in it.

Any photos? I'd love to see it!

subaru imo has to be the best of all car manufacturers. They build their cars with such durability its amazing.

You may feel otherwise after you've had a $1690 center differential replaced (poorly shimmed pinion bearing), $900 brake caliper, and $496 (2 rotors) replaced, and a motor that doesn't like to turn over if it's colder than 30 degrees outside. All were covered under warranty, but nonetheless, I have a Camaro with 175,000 miles on it that started in -30 below in Milwaukee, Wisconsin without nary a cough.

Where's the "Subaru reliability?" I NEVER had ANY problems with my domestics until they've had over 100,000 miles on them, save for my Camaro when I had to get an optispark (ignition, $800) replaced at 62,000 miles.

For the record, I don't, and have never taken the STi to the track, or have really beaten the heck out of it. That doesn't go to say I haven't mashed the throttle a few times. :cool:

DRFTKO
03-10-2007, 02:10 PM

You may feel otherwise after you've had a $1690 center differential replaced (poorly shimmed pinion bearing), $900 brake caliper, and $496 (2 rotors) replaced, and a motor that doesn't like to turn over if it's colder than 30 degrees outside. All were covered under warranty, but nonetheless, I have a Camaro with 175,000 miles on it that started in -30 below in Milwaukee, Wisconsin without nary a cough.

Where's the "Subaru reliability?" I NEVER had ANY problems with my domestics until they've had over 100,000 miles on them, save for my Camaro when I had to get an optispark (ignition, $800) replaced at 62,000 miles.

For the record, I don't, and have never taken the STi to the track, or have really beaten the heck out of it. That doesn't go to say I haven't mashed the throttle a few times. :cool:

you have never owned a Ford then:lol:

adamn84
03-10-2007, 03:59 PM

My last car was a '98 Ford Escort, the only mechanical problem I had with it was a serpentine (sp) belt that broke. When I sold it, it was running strong with nearly 130k miles. Not bad for a car that never had a tune up, and rarely had an oil change or a tank of name brand gas.

My dad had a '92 Lincoln Continental, with the 3.8 v6 and the 4speed auto (arguably fords worst engine and tranny in terms of durability and reliability). The thing ran great for 220k miles with very minor problems, we sold it because the front suspension blew up and cost more to replace then the car was worth.

As for Ford going out of business, if it gets to that point, the government will step in and help like they did with chrysler in the '80's.

Flat 4 Racing
03-10-2007, 08:27 PM

I've known a lot of people who own/have owned Mustangs and other Ford products and have never had any problems with them.

Nissanshift350
03-10-2007, 08:38 PM
i have a 1967 Mercury Cougar (pretty much a ford mustang) with 90k original miles on and it and she still runs fine after 40 years. i also have a 72 pinto station wagon and thats the best little work car ive ever owned.

Sweed
03-10-2007, 11:28 PM
As for Ford going out of business, if it gets to that point, the government will step in and help like they did with chrysler in the '80's.

Not the US government. Japanese government has though...

I read an article, the Japs are limiting the sales of the American cars, so that the goverment doesn't limit or tax japan more to save the American car copanies. I don't remember the magazine, but I'll post it later..

Kinda funny that the japanese are limiting thier own sales to keep the taxes from going up? Toyota has plants in America, and still had to import cars to keep up with the demand. Then HQ in Japan told them they had to stop selling less..

Japan doesn't want American cars to die off.. But if they do, Jap cars will have a (bigger) monopoly on the car world..

Numbchux
03-11-2007, 03:35 AM

you have, the MNSubaru ice race photo thread that you resurrected.

as to subaru reliability. I don't know wtf you've been doing. but I have never heard of anyone replacing such a laundry list of parts. I've had 2 different lifted subarus, driving them over rocks and through the mud (a search for threads in this forum started by me will turn up dozens of pics). my mom's legacy was at a healthy 235k miles on it with nothing wrong but rust. my loyale had 180k miles when I pulled the motor, and put it into one of the lifted subarus (which spun a bearing after being overheated dozens of times, and run pretty low on oil etc. at 220k miles), and replaced it with the one from the legacy. my tranny came out of it's original car with 160k miles, and has been in 2 others between then and now, still running like a top. ditto the matching rear LSD.

try some 5w-30 oil and a decent battery. we saw 40 below (no, not including the windchill) for a few nights this winter, and every morning, I went out and started it up, no block heater, no battery heater, no garage.

DRFTKO
03-11-2007, 05:10 AM
I've known a lot of people who own/have owned Mustangs and other Ford products and have never had any problems with them.

hmmm...I guess none of them drove a '98 Mercury Mistake (Mystique) either. My ex-girlfriend had one and it was an all-around piece of s@#$, everyone I have ever talked to that has owned one or knows someone that owns one has had nothing but problems.

atruebudfan
03-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Not the US government. Japanese government has though...

I read an article, the Japs are limiting the sales of the American cars, so that the goverment doesn't limit or tax japan more to save the American car copanies. I don't remember the magazine, but I'll post it later..

Kinda funny that the japanese are limiting thier own sales to keep the taxes from going up? Toyota has plants in America, and still had to import cars to keep up with the demand. Then HQ in Japan told them they had to stop selling less..

Japan doesn't want American cars to die off.. But if they do, Jap cars will have a (bigger) monopoly on the car world..

Well GM has about 20 Plants in the US and Toyota has about 5, i think they need to import.
And your wrong, Toyota would love nothing more then to see all of the US car companies die out, what would make them the richest company in the world. There like the 12th as it is i think.
And yes the taxing is high on importanted cars, but its completely right. A car produced in the US costs a lot more then one produce out side of the country. That's why the Government taxes imported cars. If they didn't the cars made out side of the US would be hundreds of dollars cheaper.
This is a reason GM now has plants in Canada and Mexico making cars for the US.

Sqwerchy
03-11-2007, 08:59 AM
OK I just bought 2 new 2007 Ford Focus SES, One Blue with a sunroof and one black no sunroof.

I did see on the news here in Chattanooga TN that Ford stated if they do not get back in the black by 2009 they will go out of business.

I have NEVER liked Fords, EVER! BUT having said that I have owned a few in the past. In fact I traded a 1998 Ford Taurus for the Black Focus. I LOVE my Focuses! I had to replace the heads on the Taurus 3X! And I replaced the radiator, lifters, FUL exhaust, torque converter, heater core and a NUMBER of belts and hoses!

jimmythekid1
03-11-2007, 12:44 PM
OK I just bought 2 new 2007 Ford Focus SES, One Blue with a sunroof and one black no sunroof.

I did see on the news here in Chattanooga TN that Ford stated if they do not get back in the black by 2009 they will go out of business.

I have NEVER liked Fords, EVER! BUT having said that I have owned a few in the past. In fact I traded a 1998 Ford Taurus for the Black Focus. I LOVE my Focuses! I had to replace the heads on the Taurus 3X! And I replaced the radiator, lifters, FUL exhaust, torque converter, heater core and a NUMBER of belts and hoses!

i can't speak for the 2007 but at my shop we work on a whole fleet of I think like 04 or 05 for a local copy machine repair company and they are really good cars. The one problems I have seen is the water inlet housing and the connectors at the ignition coils, but both are cheap easy fixes.

Flat 4 Racing
03-12-2007, 02:10 AM

Doesn't sound like an "all Ford" problem. It just sounds like your personal car. You got a lemon, dude. It happens. I know people who have gotten lemon Toyota Camrys, and supposedly they're supposed to be the most reliable vehicle built....

Numbchux
03-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Thought I'd share our Ford situation with you guys...

My Aunt had a 2005 Ford Taurus. she passed away last summer, and we have been trying to sell this car ever since. it's a $22k+ car new, and it now has 13k miles on it.....and has been on the market for $10,500 for months (started at 13k). That's right, less than half what it would cost new, and we have had ONE person even call about it!!!!

Flat 4 Racing
03-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Thought I'd share our Ford situation with you guys...

My Aunt had a 2005 Ford Taurus. she passed away last summer, and we have been trying to sell this car ever since. it's a $22k+ car new, and it now has 13k miles on it.....and has been on the market for $10,500 for months (started at 13k). That's right, less than half what it would cost new, and we have had ONE person even call about it!!!!

Dude, consider the source of the car. It's a freakin' Taurus!

Numbchux
03-14-2007, 03:32 AM
closed, in light of our newest rule