PDA

View Full Version : My XMod wont turn right!!!

ShadowDawg
11-29-2004, 04:59 PM
ok just got my car took her completely to pieces put in the blue stage 2 motor bearings and AWD. she turns fine when i take the whole suspension thing out ans even when i just sit it there but the minute i screw one screw in the suspension (the screws on the bottom of the car) she wont turn right!!!! Why??

ShadowDawg
11-29-2004, 05:19 PM
ok update it seams like she has a little trouble turning right before i put the screws in but she turns. but when i put the first screw in she wont turn right.(screws tht hols in the front piece of the AWD)

viperdout
11-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Check to see if the bevel gear is rubbing on the steering arm.

ShadowDawg
11-29-2004, 06:49 PM
how do i fix it if it is? cuz i think it is

viperdout
11-29-2004, 08:00 PM
how do i fix it if it is? cuz i think it is

Sand a little on that big plastic thing that comes really close. Also possible a servo wire's loose.

ShadowDawg
11-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Nah i dont think a servo wire is loose it turns fine until i screw AWD in gonna go look at my car right now and c if its the gear

ShadowDawg
11-29-2004, 11:49 PM
ok im just about dead sure its the gear. any advice on how to sand it down or what not cuz im new to this sorta thing and dont wanna ruin my xmod before i get a chance to drive it

viperdout
11-30-2004, 03:27 PM
ok im just about dead sure its the gear. any advice on how to sand it down or what not cuz im new to this sorta thing and dont wanna ruin my xmod before i get a chance to drive it

The little arm thing? If so, take out the tierod (thing that holds the knuckles together), and see if it's turning fully. If it isn't, then either a connection's loose on the board, or there's an extremely slim chance that a fet fried (the possibility is about .00000001%, but it's there).

ShadowDawg
11-30-2004, 04:04 PM
no the bevel gear is rubbing the steering arm cuz my cars tires speed up when i turn left and slow right down when I trie to trun right.i think its because the gear is touching the steering arm and when i try to turn right thwey get in the way of each other and the gear has trouble turning and the arm wont turn.right that being said(hope ui understood it) im gonna get some sand paper hold the car upside down put her in forward and sand the bevel gear down a bit . will this damaghe anything(besides the gear)

viperdout
11-30-2004, 04:45 PM
no the bevel gear is rubbing the steering arm cuz my cars tires speed up when i turn left and slow right down when I trie to trun right.i think its because the gear is touching the steering arm and when i try to turn right thwey get in the way of each other and the gear has trouble turning and the arm wont turn.right that being said(hope ui understood it) im gonna get some sand paper hold the car upside down put her in forward and sand the bevel gear down a bit . will this damaghe anything(besides the gear)

Let's tackle one thing at a time. So is it turning right fully?

ShadowDawg
11-30-2004, 05:26 PM
sry i figured tht would be confusing. no she oesnt turn right it looks like she starts to turn right and then gets stuck im pretty sure its the bevel gear because when i try to turn her right the wheels slow down . i think it is because the steering arm gets stuck on the bevel gear preventing it from goin right and the friction slows the gear down(which slows the turning of the wheels) thts why im pretty sure its the gear. long story short the steering arm is catching on the gear when i try to turn right how do i fix it???

viperdout
11-30-2004, 06:52 PM
sry i figured tht would be confusing. no she oesnt turn right it looks like she starts to turn right and then gets stuck im pretty sure its the bevel gear because when i try to turn her right the wheels slow down . i think it is because the steering arm gets stuck on the bevel gear preventing it from goin right and the friction slows the gear down(which slows the turning of the wheels) thts why im pretty sure its the gear. long story short the steering arm is catching on the gear when i try to turn right how do i fix it???

Take off the front deck, turn on the car, and get a friend to turn and hold the wheel at full right lock. Look to see where it's rubbing, take a pen, and draw where it is. Grab an exacto knife, and cut away a little material. All fixed.

ShadowDawg
11-30-2004, 07:20 PM
good idea. thing is i think its rubbing on tht whole side of the gear so i was thinkin maybe sanding it down or maybe cutting a bit off of the steering arm (sanding first if tht dont work the arm thing) but i look and c if its only a certainspot on the gear

if it is rubbing on the whole side of the gear will the sand paper thing work???

viperdout
11-30-2004, 10:05 PM
good idea. thing is i think its rubbing on tht whole side of the gear so i was thinkin maybe sanding it down or maybe cutting a bit off of the steering arm (sanding first if tht dont work the arm thing) but i look and c if its only a certainspot on the gear

if it is rubbing on the whole side of the gear will the sand paper thing work???

Just cut where I said. Rubbing the back is not bothering anything.

ShadowDawg
11-30-2004, 11:10 PM
havent the slighest clue what an exacto knife is and i live in the bahamas no hobby shops or anything like tht to get one.

think if i just sanded down tht side of the gear it would work???

viperdout
12-01-2004, 03:53 PM
havent the slighest clue what an exacto knife is and i live in the bahamas no hobby shops or anything like tht to get one.

think if i just sanded down tht side of the gear it would work???

An exacto knife is a very sharp hobby knife with replacable blades.

http://www.alyoung.com/exacto.jpg

It's the knife in the hand.

ShadowDawg
12-01-2004, 10:05 PM
ok she turns right now thing is she slows down when she turns right. i tried sanding down the gear tht dont work.well i didnt sand it to much

any suggestions???

viperdout
12-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Sand the knuckles a bit, on that little angle where the tierod connects.

ShadowDawg
12-02-2004, 02:20 AM
angle?? can u better describe what im looking for im new to this stuff lol

ShadowDawg
12-02-2004, 12:11 PM
just to let ya know when i turn her right the right wheel stops turning

ShadowDawg
12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
hey yo i finally pinpointed the problem i took my tie rod out and it looked like it had been melted or summ on one side. the tie rod was touching into the gear tht hooks on the drive shaft so the gear is a bit worn tooo but just a bit it still works. all i have to do is cut some off all my tie rods and ill be cool. thx for all ur help viperdout.

(now i gotta c if i can find a good enough knife for the job)

jpringlephoto
12-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Take it to your local mechanic then...s/he will explain it to you.

My turning drama is in the servo, so when I tiik it apart, I realized that the servo motor spins in the direction left or right. When centered, it should stop, but sometimes it keep spinning, not allowing it to turn the other way until I turn it in the opposite direction.