PDA

View Full Version : Lith Problems

TheB1GDude
02-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi,

I purchased a HD Li-ion Li-Po 7.4v Ps2 Battery Kit from eBay and yesterday put it onto my Xmod Evo Lancer VIII, after putting it on I seem to have lost all top speed, according to my dyno my car is only doing 5 KM/h where as prior to the liths it did 25 KM/h.

I also puchased a Li-ion 750MAH 3.7V Battery Kit from the same seller for my gen1 car and installed those and they work perfectly giving me a much better top speed!

But I am really worried that I screwed something up on my evo, when I unsoldered the stock wires and put the liths on could I have done something or burnt something on the board that could cause this problem??

I do have a custom motor in the car so I plan to swap that out to see if that is the problem but I wondered if anyone could offer any advice on the potential damage I may have done.

Thanks.

BlackSky909
02-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Make sure theyre charged!

TheB1GDude
02-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Make sure theyre charged!

Done that! They come with a smart charger with a little LED on it, starts of RED then goes GREEN when at max capacity - takes about 1 hour 30 min to complete charge.

Thanks.

BART
02-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm sure this is beyond obvious but did the batteries come wired in series like they should? also, to determine if it is the car or batteries use a digital meter (if you dont have one they can be bought for like 5 bucks or less) and compare the voltage of each of your 4 cells individually (2 cars = 4 cells). A bad cell would show itself right away as having much lower voltage. You dont have to unhook anything to check either.

Sweed
02-17-2007, 03:51 PM
See the other threads in this forum. There aren't alot...

It looks like I'm gonna have to do a write up on this...

BART
02-17-2007, 04:21 PM
See the other threads in this forum. There aren't alot...

It looks like I'm gonna have to do a write up on this...
ummmmmmmm...he has one car that works well and one that dosen't. What exactly is a write up going to do for him. Maybe i missed something but if he did it to one he can probably do it to another.

TheB1GDude
02-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok so firstly I want to ask where this post came from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25
STUPID NO0B, USE THE SEARCH!

and then I want to know why the user: texan_idiot25 who is a stage 1 member

http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/member.php?u=2522

is and why he is calling me a stupid noob when he is a stage 1 member and I have an advanced member rating. Dont talk smack about me when you rank lower in the food chain!! Also is you think I am noob please feel free to look at my website - the link is in my signature - you will see I have a variety of Xmods with different mods, custom paint, etc. This is the third car I have put liths into and the first one I have had a problem with.

Was the original post delete by one of the moderators?

Then I want to answer the questions:

1. Yes the batteries where all pre-sealed and wired so all I had to do was solder the board harness to the board.
2. I do not have a multi-meter but I will see if I can get one to see if I am losing power somewhere.
3. The two lith kits are puchased where different in design, one was for an Evo Xmod the other was for a Gen1 - they where both from the same ebay seller so I assumed if one worked so would the other.
4. I did look through this nice new area of the forum and I didnt really see anything that matched my problem, I know how to install and wire the liths but I dont know why my top speed is so low so I opened a new thread.
5. Sweed thanks for the offer of a write-up but I dont need to know how to do install the LITH kits, I have installed both kits on both cars so that isnt the problem! What I need to know is how to troubleshoot why my speed is so low, e.g. the multimeter.

Looking at my wiring again I think that I have a loose positive connection so I think I need to take it all apart and redo the solder joints, the car is a little twitchy and the wires need to be stretched out in order for it to power up, this maybe the problem so I will update once I have resoldered.

If in the meantime anyone has any more suggestions on why I have lost all my top speed please let me know?? Or could anyone tell me if I may have melted a chip of the board that could be causing the problem or something like that?

Thanks.

BART
02-17-2007, 05:58 PM
the stupid noob...use search is his sig...not meant for you. Just his smart *** comment that follows him everywhere.texan idiot or whatever has not had any activity since 9 of 06, sweed just uses a quote from him. I dont know of any posts deleted and i moderate this section. I tried to support you by saying if he did one he could do another:bigwink: Pick up a cheap dvom (digital volt ohm meter) and read the motor voltage while it's on your dyno. I think you found it though whith the loose connection, electricity is fickle and a good connection under no current draw can easily diminish when loaded...and not always in an on off fashion. If you dont get a meter just switch the batteries from your other car to this one. This would specify whether the problem is car or battery related. Lastly, I think if you fried a fet or something else on your board you would have no motor output at all. Let me know.

TheB1GDude
02-17-2007, 06:04 PM
the stupid noob...use search is his sig...not meant for you. Just his smart *** comment that follows him everywhere. I dont know of any posts deleted and i moderate this section. I tried to support you by saying if he did one he could do another:bigwink: Pick up a cheap dvom (digital volt ohm meter) and read the motor voltage while it's on your dyno. I think you found it though whith the loose connection, electricity is fickle and a good connection under no current draw can easily diminish when loaded...and not always in an on off fashion. If you dont get a meter just switch the batteries from your other car to this one. This would specify whether the problem is car or battery related. Lastly, I think if you fried a fet or something else on your board you would have no motor output at all. Let me know.

In that case I withdraw what I said and apologies to Sweed and texan_idiot - from looking at the way Sweed's post was I did not realize it was a signature! My bad! :nodno:

I think its going to be the loose connection as well because I started fiddling around with the wire and it came clean of the board! :D I will give you some feedback once I get chance to resolder it!

Sweed
02-17-2007, 07:54 PM
.....is in my signature....

There you go. It's my siggery, I use it on all forums. Go dig it up on XMW it's in the beginner's section. The only (Recent) post in there by sxysweed....

Texan isn't on here for a reason, no fruit'ings....

I'm glad you figured out the sig thing tough, there is always that one guy that's like "WTF, Mate?".....

The write up is the battery thing, I'll get to that later. Lith instal? I haven't done that is so long. Last soldering thing I did was for my Nitro Truck....

Since your probably wondering.....
http://xmodworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22790&highlight=&sid=af408870ab15d85b6df7c299813e8944

Just his smart *** comment that follows him everywhere.texan idiot or whatever has not had any activity since 9 of 06

Again. No fruit here. Why be here?

It's just something some members from other forums regonize, as, it's an inside joke...

TheB1GDude
02-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Sweed - like I said "my bad" I misread how your comment was laid out and didnt get that it was a joke in your signature!

As for the actual thread topic - if you do, do a write-up to installing liths on an evo chassis then please post as I will be more than happy to read - the one on atomic mods was good but it could have done with a few more close up pictures.

Thansk.

Sweed
02-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Sweed - like I said "my bad" I misread how your comment was laid out and didnt get that it was a joke in your signature!

As for the actual thread topic - if you do, do a write-up to installing liths on an evo chassis then please post as I will be more than happy to read - the one on atomic mods was good but it could have done with a few more close up pictures.

Thansk.

I don't own a Evo... I had FreeStyleXmods (Creative) do my lithium install on my gen1, after having one blow up on me.....

I'm doing a write-up on why you can't use certain Li-ions, what the "C" rating is, and some other stuff, just as soon as I get a reply from (creative) about the motor FAQ thing...