PDA

View Full Version : spinbrush hybrid tutorial

Anonymous
02-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi, i'm making this tutorial to show people how to make the spinbrush hybrid motor.
First to answer some questions.

What is the difference between the SB and the SB Hybrid?

The difference is on the SB Hybrid you are using the Stage 2 Armature. This tutorial/how to teaches how to make the SB Hybrid. To make the SB normal just use the SB Armature instead. SB Hybrid out performs the SB so i advise to just build the SB Hybrid instead.

*New method in the FAQ. Building SB without removing pinion.

Take the Battery Cover off and break the spin brush open. pry it or what ever.

There are four screws that hold the motor on place held in by a white plastic piece. remove the screws and take out motor

You wanna pull off the white pinion (slides off easily ... just use pliers or something) You also want to remove the end cap. There are two taps the hold the endcap in place. Pry each tab up with a small screw driver or something that u can fit under the tabs. Once the tabs are bent up the cap should just pull right off.

You should be able to slide the armature out of the SB Motor. (armature pictured further below)What you have left is an empty housing with 2 magnets inside.

Now. Take your stage 2 motor. Remove the pinion on the motor using a pinion puller. people have come up with different ways. Desolder (using a soldering) the capacitor and resistors attached to the stage 2 housing.

After removing the end cap and pinion pull the armature out. Stick it into the SB housing. Place the pinion on. Place the End Cap on.
Make sure the brushings are on right when sticking the end cap on. The Brushings are the metal tabs inside the end cap.

Now with everything assembled. Press the End Cap Tab holders in.
Solder the Capacitor and Resistor on the sides of the SB Housing.
And your done.

if i am wrong just please correct me. if you have questions post them here

Anonymous
02-05-2004, 03:54 PM
FAQ

Q: Will it fit in my (insert model here) Xmod?

A: Yes it will fit in any model Xmod. Its a 130 Size motor. Same size as the Stock motors.

Q: Whats the Different between an SB and an SB PRO?

A: Nothing. I only know one person who opened an SB Pro and got a different motor. I bought both tooth brushes and got the same exact motor. They usually say Action Motor or Made in China.

Q: Whats the difference between the SB and the SB Hybrid.
A: The SB Hybrid used parts from the Stage 2 motor. It uses the Armature. You get better performance from an SB Hybrid than an SB

Q: Is it faster than a Stage 2 motor?

A: Technically.... no. It has more torque. Here's an example. Stage 2 Blue (11t) and SB Hybrid with 11t will have the same top speed. But since the the SB Hybrid has more torque, it will hit its top speed faster. The torque makes the car quicker off the line. As you know Stage 2 white has the most torque but the lowest top speed. The SB Hybrid with 11t Has more torque than the Stage 2 White (8t).
Basically..... in a race. You should beat anyone using any stage 2 motor.

Q. What could I put in my spinbrush motor to make it go faster??

A: I heard when using Neo mags in a normal SB motor it doesn't really help. But i think i do recall someone saying when they used Neo mags with the Stage 2 Armature they saw a difference. But i think at that point its no longer is considered an SB Hybrid because the SB components are no longer installed?

Q. My pinions were installed by the gods and i cant take it off. It even broke my pinion puller. What can i do? Can i do it without removing the pinion?

A: YES. This happend to me, and i found it easier to do this since it even broke my pinion puller. When u take of the end cap like u normally would. Remove the retainer spring that holds the magnets in place. its really small to see. If u have ur SB motor open with the armature out, you can see the spring easily. Just find it on the Stage 2 motor. I used a small blade and tweezers to yank out the spring. I used a tweezer to pull out the magnets as well. Then i shoved the SB magnets in. Put in the Spring. Soldered back together just like the tutorial says. And there ya go. SB Hybrid without removing pinion.

Q. Can I use Stage 1 Motors isntead? Will it be as fast?

A: You can use Stage1 Motors instead but it will not perform the same as a SB Hybrid running Stage 2 components. The Stage 1 Armature is wound for lower rpms and higher torque. So you'll alot more torque but u wont have the higher topend speed. Thats what makes the S2 SB Hybrid more ideal. You get alot more torque and get the higher RPM.

Anonymous
02-08-2004, 03:53 PM
i built a hybird w a s2 white motor 8t what diff gear should i use?

i had a red on on and the thing barely creeped across the floor?
thanks to all

sniper786
02-08-2004, 06:00 PM
u have to use the white gear with the white motor to get the proper gear mesh. i think u should have used the blue motor(11 tooth) to get a better top speed. the white motor will have insnane torque but not a very low top speed.

Anonymous
02-09-2004, 04:36 PM
thanks,
i switched to the white gear and it still creeps. now i have a little experience w electric motors but that was a long time ago in slot cars does it make a diff what way the mags are put in i asked somebody on another forum and they said to switch mags around

------------------------
red supra
stage 2
sb hybird
red springs front
yellow spings back
4.5 tie rod
awd kit
rsx spoiler
whit supra body kit
lightened chassis (less weight)
custom lights on in & under
7 cell batteries
8)

sniper786
02-09-2004, 05:23 PM
u might need to check and see if u put the little u shaped spring back in rite and if u put the magnets in backwards when u try to go forward the car would reverse instead of going forward u might also want to make sure u have the brushes set on the armature rite if none of this helps u might want to try building the hybrid in a different motor other than the white motor

Anonymous
02-10-2004, 09:33 AM
they arent backwards ill chk the rest thanks for the tips

SupaSupraBob13
03-20-2004, 03:36 PM
instead of taking out the spring just take something metal and tap the end of the metal rod sticking out of the aramature and the mags will come out

jenks10
06-24-2004, 12:28 PM
IS THE SB HYBRID A GOOD MOTOR? THEY ARE SELLING ONE ON EBAY FOR 22 BUCKS? HOW FAST DOES IT GO AND WHAT DO U NEED TO RUN THIS SB HYBRID?????

jenks10
06-24-2004, 12:41 PM
OK SO HOW DO U MAKE A SB HYBRID MOTOR? IF YOU DONT MIND TAKE ME STEP BY STEP AND TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO IT? I HAVE A MOTOR FROM INSIDE A TOOTHBRUSH LOL AND I HAVE THE STAGE 2 MOTORS? IF YALL DONT MIND TELLING ME HOW TO DO IT THAT SOUNDS REALLY AWESOME. THANKS :) :) :)

drifting RSX
09-12-2004, 02:54 PM
you can go to xmodworld.com, and go to the tut section, they have on there with pics. $22 for an sb hybrid.......not worth it..