PDA

View Full Version : It's a fact....2008 STi...

Numbchux
02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
...will have more than 4 doors!! this from a guy who owns a dealership in the Cities:

"Anyways, from talking to one of the Subaru Reps. The New Impreza will be coming out around August 07 and the new STi in Dec. of 07 will be a 5dr. Wagon/Hatch...NO MORE SEDAN.."

a sedan will still be available in regular WRX trim, but the STi's will all be wagons.

no official subaru pictures of it, but probably the most accurate pic is this:
http://www.subimprezawrx.fr/photos/wrx2008.jpg
but no guarantees. that's just a computer illustration from spy photos, so many details will probably be different, specifically the front bumper/grill area

this comes from the fact that hatches have a more ridgid bodystyle, and as a result, Ford and Citroen are dominating Subaru on the WRC circuit. Subaru is the only sedan that's even remotely competitive, and they're 10 points behind Citroen this year (http://www.wrc.com/page/ManufacturerStandings/0,,10111~2007,00.html).

civic_guy
02-01-2007, 12:54 PM
BOO! :mad: I don't like wagons at ALL!!!

:( now i'm sad...i love STIs

chi_town_ballin
02-01-2007, 01:01 PM
WAIT WAIT...subaru is a legend in rally...how are they 10 point behind!!! much less, how could they lose their best image being a sedan body?! and if it's a wagon, why wouldn't it be at least a 2 door?! what's going on here?! i'd like to know who this dealer is!!

EDIT: they finished 3rd in the manufacturer standings with 6 points behind in the '06 season!!! that's still fair enough!!! i doubt they'd change up their entire vehicle just for 6 points and a 3rd place standing...read the results!!!

http://www.wrc.com/page/TeamsDetail/0,,10111~605287,00.html

EDIT: Atkinson had 5 points behind the leader and soldberg had 7...now why would they change up the body for that?! read it for yourself!!!

http://www.wrc.com/page/TeamsDetail/0,,10111~605287,00.html

EDIT: ok if you need more proof of this being untrue...read this!

http://www.swrt.com/news/viewarticle.html?id=1196

THE EDJ
02-01-2007, 01:11 PM
wagons are awesome! that car is gonna be cool... come on whos gonna expect to be beaten by a four door hatch on the street? and they are so much more functional, you carry more people and stuff too.

civic_guy
02-01-2007, 01:32 PM
wagons are awesome! that car is gonna be cool... come on whos gonna expect to be beaten by a four door hatch on the street? and they are so much more functional, you carry more people and stuff too.

There's still TONS of room in the current 4 door STI. I'm glad the EVO X isn't gonna be a wagon....even though they made it ugly too...i'd much rather have that than a hatch or wagon....just my opinion

BlackSky909
02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Boo. That blows.

Skyline5654
02-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Boo. That blows.
agreeing with blacksky909

REDisFASTER
02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Out of all the body designs Subaru's made for the Impreza, this still takes the cake as my most favored design:

http://www.in.gr/auto/dokimes/pr_dokimes_ae/foto_big/ae_Subaru_Impreza_STi_736_01.jpg

ckracer
02-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Out of all the body designs Subaru's made for the Impreza, this still takes the cake as my most favored design
i agree

Jizzle
02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
ahh that blows why would they do that to a beutiful car

DRFTKO
02-01-2007, 04:05 PM
dumba@# (sorry for the language but it is true) mistake by Subaru, they screwed up here, lost my respect for them:nodno:

superlemons
02-01-2007, 04:07 PM
agreeing with blacksky909 as do i

chi_town_ballin
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
EVERYONE...keep in mind...that's all hearsay...there are no definite pics for the next launch line of subaru yet!!! just cuz a dealer said it, doesn't mean he's got it from subaru direct...keep in mind, there's still a chance that subaru WILL keep it's legacy going and KEEP the wrx sedan body style...you never know...

RallyWRX
02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
That's cool, but please, isn't it a hatch back, there's a big difference between wagon and hatch back. I can't wait to see the WRC hatch back STi that'll be sweet.

chi_town_ballin
02-01-2007, 05:16 PM
That's cool, but please, isn't it a hatch back, there's a big difference between wagon and hatch back. I can't wait to see the WRC hatch back STi that'll be sweet.

a 4 door isn't considered a hatchback...it's considered a wagon because it's much longer...a hatchback is a version of that vehicle with a lifted truck...thus, making it a HATCHback...it's a shorter wheelbase, no trunk, and considered a 3rd door...other then that, what's pictured would be a wagon...at least that's what i know...but then again, i'm no expert...

Numbchux
02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
this is from a subaru rep. they call it a 5-door, not a wagon. it'll have the same wheelbase.

they're also making the legacy line shorter, so it can compete with the camry/accord. and the impreza and legacy will be completely the same chassis. the WRX will still be available in sedan form, and still share the same engine. all the things that make an STi different from a WRX are available and interchangeable....

I wouldn't trust any pictures you've seen though.

and chi_town...I posted a link to the WRC standings. citroen hast 18 points, subaru has 8. and ford is between them.

kidZim
02-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I always wanted a 5-door Subaru :)

kataklysm
02-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm sure they won't do that it's surely a prototype c'mon :(
Hey look at this 5 doors rally car subaru
it don't sounds good :cry: :nodno:

RallyWRX
02-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm still going to call it a hatch-back because the space behind the back doors is short where as in a wagon it's longer behind the back doors. And I have to be true to form, I like hatch-backs and hate wagons. Ha ha.

Numbchux
02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm still going to call it a hatch-back because the space behind the back doors is short where as in a wagon it's longer behind the back doors. And I have to be true to form, I like hatch-backs and hate wagons. Ha ha.

yep, from the spy photos the rear overhang looks very short. but it's hard to tell.

no official subaru prototype has been released. so I really want to emphasize not to trust any pics you see. but it's a fact, from a Subaru of America Representative, that the new STi will not have a trunk.

chi_town_ballin
02-02-2007, 05:09 PM
WELL...there goes the neighborhood!!!!!:o :eyecraz: :roll_eye: :lol: :lol:

REDisFASTER
02-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Oh, Numbchux, I just wanted to ask, what is the body code of that Subie that I posted. Thanks

chi_town_ballin
02-02-2007, 06:45 PM
just outta curiosity red...do you have time to do my motors yet??? and btw, i have a titanium stiletto chassis i don't need...i figured maybe you'd want it since your sig says it...let me know...didn't mean to get off topic...but yeah...wrx's rule...and all that...

kidZim
02-02-2007, 07:02 PM
yep, from the spy photos the rear overhang looks very short. but it's hard to tell.

no official subaru prototype has been released. so I really want to emphasize not to trust any pics you see. but it's a fact, from a Subaru of America Representative, that the new STi will not have a trunk.
No Junk in the Trunk :uhoh:

civic_guy
02-02-2007, 07:08 PM
No Junk in the Trunk :uhoh:

It's a "Japanese" car what do you expect...:lol:

:p

RedSXmodder
02-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Wait till it comes out. I'll make my opinion then.

Later,
RedSXmodder

Numbchux
02-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Oh, Numbchux, I just wanted to ask, what is the body code of that Subie that I posted. Thanks

GD chassis code.... GDB for the STi, GDA for the regular WRX, and GGA for the WRX wagon. also known as the "Blob Eye", the '06+s are the "Hawk Eye" and the '02-'03s are "Bug Eyes"

full list of subaru chassis codes:

imprezas, '93-'01 (frequently just referred to as just GC or GC8, since this is the code for the STi):
GF = 5-door Impreza body
GM = 2-door Impreza body
GC = 4-door Impreza body
+
0 = 1.6L (not certain about this one)
2 = 1.8L
4 = 2.2L
6 = 2.5L
8 = 2.0L

ex. '95- impreza wagon: GF2
2.5RS coupe: GM6

others:
GD = New Gen Bodies
BC = 1G legacy sedan
BJ = 1G legacy wagon, straight roof
BF = 1G legacy, raised roof
GDA =New Age WRX Sedan
GDB = New Age STi Sedan
GGA = New Age WRX Wagon
BD = '95-'99 legacy sedan
BG = " " legacy wagon, raised roof, as in outbacks
BK = regular roof legacy 95'-99

DRFTKO
02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
sorry to get off topic here, NUMBCHUX i have been thingking about buying an IMpreza in the next couple of years, which version do you think gives you the "best bang for the buck", I like all the body styles so the "looks" really dont factor in my decision too much. Thanks!!!

Numbchux
02-03-2007, 05:31 PM
sorry to get off topic here, NUMBCHUX i have been thingking about buying an IMpreza in the next couple of years, which version do you think gives you the "best bang for the buck", I like all the body styles so the "looks" really dont factor in my decision too much. Thanks!!!

GM6, '99-'01 2.5RS coupe. smallest, lightest, biggest motor. unfortunately, rarest.

but a GM4 would be good to. the 2.2l is one of the most bullet-proof motors known to man.

unfortunately, neither are very fast out of the box. but no subaru really is....

what do you want out of the car? how much work are you willing to do?

DRFTKO
02-03-2007, 05:49 PM
GM6, '99-'01 2.5RS coupe. smallest, lightest, biggest motor. unfortunately, rarest.

but a GM4 would be good to. the 2.2l is one of the most bullet-proof motors known to man.

unfortunately, neither are very fast out of the box. but no subaru really is....

what do you want out of the car? how much work are you willing to do?

ummm not really to sure yet, I dont know too awful much about Subarus but I would really love to have an Impreza, what does the GM4 look like? I think I would go with that one since you say the 2.2L is the most bullet-proof set-up!!!

Numbchux
02-03-2007, 08:15 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/deride/icerace07/ryan2.jpg

I believe that's a '96. in completely stock form.

DRFTKO
02-04-2007, 12:36 PM
ok, that is one of the top body style i was leaning towards, I found two subbies impreza's close to me that had been wrecked in the front mostly cosmetic damage for only $3,995, is that a good deal (they are both 2000 models by the way)!!!

Numbchux
02-04-2007, 12:58 PM
ok, that is one of the top body style i was leaning towards, I found two subbies impreza's close to me that had been wrecked in the front mostly cosmetic damage for only $3,995, is that a good deal (they are both 2000 models by the way)!!!

sounds like a pretty decent deal. hard to say without knowing more about them though...

Numbchux
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
back on topic here....I found some pics from a more reliable source...

spy photo of the real car, this pic has not been touched up or anything:
http://www.subaru.net/owners/images/07WRX_spyshot.jpg

and a Subaru prototype computer illustration:
http://www.subaru.net/owners/images/07WRX_STI_495.jpg
again, I doubt the grill will stay, but the basic idea is there...

superlemons
02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm still going to call it a hatch-back because the space behind the back doors is short where as in a wagon it's longer behind the back doors. And I have to be true to form, I like hatch-backs and hate wagons. Ha ha. not true . look at the focus the hatch version has alot of lenght behind the rear doors and in the wagon there is less and its the same way when you look at most cars that have a hatch and a wagon version

firebird999
02-06-2007, 10:14 PM
yea, but think rally, how will they get by?!?!

Numbchux
02-06-2007, 11:20 PM
yea, but think rally, how will they get by?!?!

what?

I assume you mean you don't think a hatch would be better for rally. but it's been proven that a hatch body can more easily be made a stiffer chassis.

DRFTKO
02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
what?

I assume you mean you don't think a hatch would be better for rally. but it's been proven that a hatch body can more easily be made a stiffer chassis.

yea, isnt there a hatch running in WRC right now, I believe it is a Citroen, correct me if im wrong, I havent tuned into any rally racing in quiet some time!!!

THE EDJ
02-07-2007, 12:38 AM
i also remember a very successful run by ford in a hatch called the Ford Focus, anyone remember that? its totally doable and the fact that its a subaru makes it that much cooler, if ford can do it then subaru should have no troubles at all.

Numbchux
02-07-2007, 01:51 AM
yea, isnt there a hatch running in WRC right now, I believe it is a Citroen, correct me if im wrong, I havent tuned into any rally racing in quiet some time!!!

oh man, I dunno, I didn't read the first post of this very thread ;)

this comes from the fact that hatches have a more ridgid bodystyle, and as a result, Ford and Citroen are dominating Subaru on the WRC circuit. Subaru is the only sedan that's even remotely competitive, and they're 10 points behind Citroen this year (http://www.wrc.com/page/ManufacturerStandings/0,,10111~2007,00.html).

color0
02-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Er... last time I checked, Citroen and Ford have the advantage because their entries are smaller than Subaru's. Shorter wheelbase, shorter overhangs = greater agility.

I guess an STi wagon would be alright, the early GD8 JDM market had an STi wagon too and it looks decent.

GC8 FTW though, small, featherweight AWD with lots more potential IMO than the newer chassis. They just need very stiff roll-cages.

civic_guy
02-10-2007, 04:05 PM
http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/subaru/preview-2008-subaru-impreza-sti/

Found this online....thought it might interest some of you.

Me no likey....:nodno:

REDisFASTER
02-10-2007, 04:26 PM
It looks like the deck spoiler was shopped in the back :p

The Lan Evo X doesn't look good either. I think the companies should stick with what they've had which people have already come to love. Take the Altima for example, the 2nd latest generation was a favorite here in NA, so they took that into account for the design of their latest Alty.

atruebudfan
02-10-2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119503

REDisFASTER
02-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, I do agree for the new design on the fact that they removed those two front grille 'dividers'... I just don't like the fact that they're losing their original shape. They're turning rounder and rounder, just like more cars nowadays.

http://www.photorepetto.com/Extreme%20Sport/Subaru/Subaru%20Sti%202006%20a.gif

DRFTKO
02-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Well, I do agree for the new design on the fact that they removed those two front grille 'dividers'... I just don't like the fact that they're losing their original shape. They're turning rounder and rounder, just like more cars nowadays.

I agree with you 110% I hate the new "round" shape everyone is adopting now, there is too much evolution in cars and not slow "gradual" changes, which should be happening. Just my two cents and I had to get that off my chest...lol!!!

civic_guy
02-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree with you 110% I hate the new "round" shape everyone is adopting now, there is too much evolution in cars and not slow "gradual" changes, which should be happening. Just my two cents and I had to get that off my chest...lol!!!

yup yup roundness in cars FTMFL

:D

REDisFASTER
02-10-2007, 06:53 PM
For the round-thing as well as small model changes, take the NSX's history. The only major overhaul that the car has gotten throughout its whole lifetime is the change in the front facsia in 2002 (static headlights, bumper) as well as the addition of the 6-speed transmission from the original 5-speed. In 1997, it went from a 3.0L to a 3.2L. There are other, more suble changes, but it has still kept its original shape and design from 1990 to 2005.

Numbchux
02-11-2007, 03:45 AM
For the round-thing as well as small model changes, take the NSX's history. The only major overhaul that the car has gotten throughout its whole lifetime is the change in the front facsia in 2002 (static headlights, bumper) as well as the addition of the 6-speed transmission from the original 5-speed. In 1997, it went from a 3.0L to a 3.2L. There are other, more suble changes, but it has still kept its original shape and design from 1990 to 2005.

point? Honda makes progressively less on the NSX every year. just another argument to keep things fresh.

model designs will continue to change. if everyone agreed with us, no-one would buy them....and they wouldn't look like they do. welcome to capitalism.

btw, I've seen those 'drawings' of the new body style.... VERY slim chance that those are even close to what it'll actually look like. Subaru is VERY secretive about their new designs, and they like to shake things up, so there's no telling what it'll look like.

although I've heard from a number of reputable sources that the alfa grill design will go away.

sweetvette
02-12-2007, 03:48 PM
this is kinda off topic but, in 2008, the focus will no longer be offered in hatchback or wagon form, just sedan and coupe. so there goes ford's stiff chassis advantage in rally. and am i the only waiting for ford to release an awd turbocharged focus?

And I really hope the the new imprezas don't get all softy looking

Flat 4 Racing
02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Keep in mind that Subaru is one of the best in the business when it comes to keeping secrets up until release dates for their vehicles.

There are a lot of conflicting reports, but there is a sedan version of the next Impreza slated for production. Subaru would be stupid not to release a sedan version, considering their sales outnumber the sales of the wagon by huge amount.

Whatever the case, if the next Impreza looks like that, I surely wouldn't be buying one.

Numbchux
02-27-2007, 12:18 AM
^^ bingo. They're not discontinuing the sedan body style, but the STi will only be available as a hatch/wagon.

Flat 4 Racing
02-27-2007, 03:21 AM
^^ bingo. They're not discontinuing the sedan body style, but the STi will only be available as a hatch/wagon.

I surely hope you're wrong. Nothing against wagons, and I think a Wagon STI would be awesome, but I won't be buying one. I definitely love my sedan.

Sweed
02-27-2007, 07:00 AM
That car looks like a piece of ****....

Hm... It's not blue?

Flat 4 Racing
02-27-2007, 08:00 AM
That car looks like a piece of ****....

+111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Nissanshift350
02-27-2007, 09:28 AM
i have allways liked the wrx up untill they recently changed the front end. i like the 05 and older but thats about it

Flat 4 Racing
02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
i have allways liked the wrx up untill they recently changed the front end. i like the 05 and older but thats about it

I like the 2006+ front end, but I think it's color-sensitive. It looks good on white or black cars, but terrible on anything else.

I also prefer the front end of the 2004-2005 models.

Nissanshift350
02-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I like the 2006+ front end, but I think it's color-sensitive. It looks good on white or black cars, but terrible on anything else.

I also prefer the front end of the 2004-2005 models.

ur right the 06 is color sensitive but if i ever bought one it would be the 04-05 body style

Numbchux
02-27-2007, 04:57 PM
IMHO, '02-'05 imps are butt ugly. legacies have always looked good. '06-'07 imps look very nice (have to see them in person). I've got a buddy that has a red '06 WRX wagon....and it's just plain hottttt. especially on his RS 6-spoke winter wheels.

Nissanshift350
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
i just cant stand that darn grill. the 04-05 honestly i seen seen some alright ones but i still hate them. but its still a subi underneath and thats what matters most

Flat 4 Racing
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I really like the Legacy GT Wagons. I'll take mine with a 5spd, please.

homestar
02-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, i always loved the last gen impreza 03-06 1/2 and the new one is OK. This concept/new one, looks alright to me. But the 22b impreza is the most awesome

Flat 4 Racing
02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, i always loved the last gen impreza 03-06 1/2 and the new one is OK. This concept/new one, looks alright to me. But the 22b impreza is the most awesome

The 22B is the baddest Subaru ever created, and I'd do just about anything (within reason) to get my paws on one. I believe there are only two stateside.