PDA

View Full Version : custom antennas?

librarianliam
01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
my antenna broke today and i was wodnering if anybody has made a custom antenna if so... out of what and how...

civic_guy
01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
just go to radioshack and get a replacement antenna. Or you could go online an find a colored one...

librarianliam
01-25-2007, 06:45 PM
well that wouldnt be as fun would it??? sry i like to make things so idk...

civic_guy
01-25-2007, 06:48 PM
yeah i like to make things too...but antennas are boring to start with...so imo it wouldn't matter...lol

REDisFASTER
01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
May I ask, how you broke your antenna? The worst I did was lighting it with my Zippo an waiting for it to get red-hot then bending it... Now, its so flimsy, I can bend it into any shape I want. Then bend it back!

librarianliam
01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
i figured with all the creative ppl around here somebody would have a great/amazing idea on how to do it and make it look cool...

how it broke... it was allready pretty mangled from bending it around and stuff and i crashed into the sofa after a flip and the antenna got stuck under the metal parts of the couch and i went to pull it out and it snapped at the bottom of the antenna meaning that fixing it would be tough... i didnt know it would break like that...

civic_guy
01-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Im creative and all...but I like to spend my time on things other than antennas...but hey if that's what you like to do then more power to you...I still say buy one though.

REDisFASTER
01-25-2007, 06:58 PM
i figured with all the creative ppl around here somebody would have a great/amazing idea on how to do it and make it look cool...

how it broke... it was allready pretty mangled from bending it around and stuff and i crashed into the sofa after a flip and the antenna got stuck under the metal parts of the couch and i went to pull it out and it snapped at the bottom of the antenna meaning that fixing it would be tough... i didnt know it would break like that...

you could always try to take the long part of the remaining antenna, work about one or two inches from the bottom and bend it similarly to how it looks when its not broken. Assuming you have a straight-piece of antenna and not that bendy part with the coils

ferrarip4.5
01-25-2007, 09:01 PM
dont the atennas have to be a certain length, or is that the one on the car...

janikphoto
01-25-2007, 11:57 PM
dont the atennas have to be a certain length, or is that the one on the car...

yes, to a certain degree. The length of wire matches the basic frequency range of the transmitter to optimize range. If you cut it exactly in half, it will still work, but will have decreased range.

Look at the offroad trucks that austincrawls has been building. He has a working antenna that looks like a scale cb antenna on his truck. It is amazing. He could give you tips...

BART
01-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I would think piano wire would work quite nice. Some picture frame hanging wire would possibly also work and you could get it at walmart. If I were to break mine i would go to the hobby store and buy a colored antennae tube (99c) and use a 22 or so awg wire then you could easily fine tune the legnth.

bigmike17
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
I have heard that solid silver wire at about 16 AWG (?), about same length as stock works real good. I havent tried it myself, but I think I read it in one of these forums. What do you think?

janikphoto
01-27-2007, 02:24 AM
yeah, try it.

librarianliam
01-27-2007, 12:34 PM
allright thanks guys... i just took the antenna off of one of my other cars to use for now

RedSXmodder
01-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Antenna tuning.
http://www.xmodworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5432
It is a great idea, but it doesn't have a HUGE effect. It is subtle.

Later,
RedSXmodder