PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster Diving

XspuXtXnikX
11-17-2004, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine that goes to Rs a lot was told that a good way to aquire xmod parts was to go dumpster diving after store hours because he said that most of the times when people bring there cars back in because of something being wrong with them that they just throw em in the garbage. I was cuirous if this was true and if so how many of you would be willing to swim through garbage for xmod parts

element6968
11-17-2004, 11:19 PM
do it!.... just take a shower after.... :roll:

5.0saleen
11-17-2004, 11:19 PM
I say go ahead as long as your not swimming in tuna fish and banana peels, I have to dumpster dive alot at work, but thats usually cause i throw soething away i wasnt supposed to lol
But i mean if you found a 10 dollar bill in a dumpster youd go get it, so why not a useful peice worth 10 bucks

XspuXtXnikX
11-17-2004, 11:47 PM
I figured that it would be best to go like on a saturday because that seems like the busy day when everyone is not in school bringing there parts back but im not sure if there is certaint times that they throw things away or what, would hate to get dirty for nothin

hkstuned
11-18-2004, 12:11 AM
you never know if you find parts then you can sell to people on line

XspuXtXnikX
11-18-2004, 12:22 AM
nah i wouldnt want to sell them I have too many different things I want to do so I need the parts for myself

NoBack
11-18-2004, 12:08 PM
well since radio shack isn't focused on food and liquids, diving in their dumpster for parts wouldn't be bad- mostly just paper and packaging materials. Although places like jewel throw out things neater than you'd expect. I know a girl who lives close to chicago who doesn't pay for food at all. She goes to the jewel dumpster and picks out things that they trow out. Ya know, most products have a 'sell by' date, but just because it's past the sell by date doesn't mean its expired. 95% of the food they trow away is still good- except for dairy products. Same with the dunkin donuts- though they caught on and threw coffee grounds in with the donuts (eew), but brush 'em off and they're still good....

i dunno, i'd wanna go dumpster diving atleast once... more if it's fun.... especially if you find some good stuff. I'd do it in a rs dumpster

StiXxX
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
yea it's true RS is for electronics and all that but the peepz do hav lunch breaks
and the RS's r usually in plaza's w/ a bunch of other places so u would run into some nasty stuff(eww)
plus theres a buch of dumpsters so what do u do? dive into all of them?
i dunno
and what type of dumpsters yall tlkin bout
the ones with the flip lids on top or with the sliding window type thing on the side?

NoBack
11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
lol, cross your fingers and hope you dive into the right one

StiXxX
11-18-2004, 01:45 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DAZ TRU TOO

XspuXtXnikX
11-18-2004, 01:59 PM
well I scoped out the one I am thinkin about and its radioshack only its not in a shopping plaza

SPARCO350z
11-18-2004, 04:14 PM
niiice idea homie

StiXxX
11-18-2004, 04:16 PM
YEA
I'm sure everyone wants to know if it works
so make sure to keep this post updated

XspuXtXnikX
11-18-2004, 04:41 PM
ok I am probably gonna go either tomorrow or saturday one maybe bring a change of clothes and a flashlight depending on how many bags are in the trash I may just empty the whole things take it home and rummage through it. I have gloves also

cols102
11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
lol that is the best idea i have ever heard, ill prob go at like 10 tonight

SwedishRacer
11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
you guys aree reely desprate

XspuXtXnikX
11-18-2004, 07:49 PM
im not really desperate but I am a firm believer in why pay when you can get it for free. I can get my clean smell back but I cant get that money back I wasted on a part that someone else threw away last week

cols102
11-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Yeah and its just cool to get that feeling when you find something and your like omg i just found this lol

livestrong350z
11-19-2004, 10:08 AM
good idea
thats kinda the same reason that i use ebay lot
:lol: :lol:

i dont think my RS has a dumpster behind it
i think the little chain of stores next to it share one huge dumpster

so if i was to do that id be in there for ever :nod:

viperdout
11-20-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll find nothing, and your friend is most likely duping you. There's a small chance, but I'm 98% sure the stuff you return to RS gets sent back to the company. Let us know how it goes though.

StiXxX
11-20-2004, 02:53 PM
YEA MY RS SAID THE SCRAP THE CARS THEY GET BACK
THEY DON'T SEND THEM ANYWHERE
HE SAID THEY JUST THROW THEM AWAY

viperdout
11-20-2004, 05:15 PM

I don't believe it, but if you read closer, I said he has about a 2% chance of it being true. I know that the RS by my vacation house told me they send them back to RS.

StiXxX
11-20-2004, 05:31 PM

I don't believe it, but if you read closer, I said he has about a 2% chance of it being true. I know that the RS by my vacation house told me they send them back to RS.

o i c
i guess the diff RS's say diff things
we'll c
but that is what mine's told me

viperdout
11-20-2004, 05:54 PM

o i c
i guess the diff RS's say diff things
we'll c
but that is what mine's told me

Only one way to find out... :)

Anonymous
11-20-2004, 08:57 PM
I am desprate.

Though I'm enough to go in to ANY dumpster, any where, even a sewage Co. dumpsters.

So Black got any dump. parts yet??? let me know.

Thanks!!!!

BlackSky909
11-20-2004, 09:13 PM
I think that they send them back... And hell for all we now they probaly use the broke parts and fix them and touch them up some way and put them in new cars :-? :lol: :wink:

XspuXtXnikX
11-22-2004, 12:07 AM
look what I foundhttp://www.freewebs.com/xxxmods/found.JPG

RSX
2-CONTROLLERS
SUPRA
CIVIC BODY
[list]

StiXxX
11-23-2004, 09:55 PM
:o :o :o :o :o
r u F_ckin serious
did that really come from there dumpster
THAT IS F_CKING AWESOME

*ROUND OF APPLAUSE*
clap it up ladies and gentlemen
THIS MAN DESERVES AN AWARD
for saving fdellow xmodists money
OMG plz clear it up and let us know if that really came from RS's dumpster :o :o :o :o

StiXxX
11-23-2004, 09:56 PM
r the cars complete in any way????????????
do they hav EP's????????

XspuXtXnikX
11-24-2004, 02:26 AM
The controllers work. The supra after several hours of looking at I realized it had a receiver problem so I just replaced the receiver from a spare that I had. The body of the civic was cracked but I fixed it with some bondo. The rsx works too when I got it home I put batteries in it but there was no sign of power I took the ep out and the only thing wrong with it was the positive (red wire) running from the battery cable had broke loose and it also had a broken steering knuckle but I was able to fix them all with spare parts. The only thing wierd was that the crystals, Antenna's and drive shafts, and battery clips were missing with the exception of 1 that is in the picture. They were both stock as far as parts go no awd upgrades or anything like that. My guess is that the people returned them because of electronics failure and maybe the employees at the store snagged a few spare parts off them before junking them. Im happy going to go again next week to see if I can find something

StiXxX
11-24-2004, 12:17 PM
aw man thats great
what day did u go?
were there any nasty surprises?
did u hav to clean the cars off in any way?
or was the dumpster really full of carboard and papers and sh_t like that

well good luck i dunno why no one else has responded to this post yet
everyone seemed so anxious to find out but whatever i guess the posts will come

fubarizzle
11-24-2004, 02:01 PM
that's kickass.

I'll def be doin all my Xmas shopping in the local RS Dumpster :nod:

*I can just see it now. 11 MO old niece, controller and stage 1 moto. 4 yr old cousin, mustang body with body kit. 32 yr old uncle, NSX with no motor*

Acura_NSX
12-03-2004, 12:10 AM
hells yea :o :o :o :o :o

deerman270
12-31-2004, 08:57 PM
cool

Xmoder284
01-05-2005, 07:15 PM
somebody should have their moto as something like " :lol: dumpster dive for all my parts" or something

Kujo
01-06-2005, 05:03 AM
All the Radio Shacks near me send their returns back to the company. And in the off-chance they do throw some stuff out, they all share a couple large dumpsters with a bunch of other stores. So the chances of me actually finding something useful would be slim to none. Hardly worth the effort :cry:

superstreet02
01-11-2005, 02:26 PM
man i live over by radioshaq im bout to got to the dump :nod:

superstreet02
01-11-2005, 02:27 PM

superstreet02
01-11-2005, 02:28 PM

arron07
01-24-2005, 09:34 AM
:( we cant do that here were i am radio shack sells the x mosd that people bring back for 40 bucks tax in...alot of them work but the second someone brings somthing back to radioshack its code w so it pretty much doesnt exist....what they are sopposed to do is beat the shiznak out of em and then throw them out...but i got 3 perfectly working x mods form there for 40 bucks each....tyou guys should sudjeat this to your manageres at your radioshacks....be sure top bring some batterys to test them before you buy them

Skyline Racer 2005
01-26-2005, 07:35 PM
man the second i heard this i went running to the dumpster and i found a working stage 2 motors and a 4wd drive kit and a racing crystals set (only one didnt work) but i dont think i will do it again it was gross in looked like i had just got done with a food fight or sumthin but it was worth it

streetballerzz3
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
man the second i heard this i went running to the dumpster and i found a working stage 2 motors and a 4wd drive kit and a racing crystals set (only one didnt work) but i dont think i will do it again it was gross in looked like i had just got done with a food fight or sumthin but it was worth it:eyecraz: :D :o

ahahahahahahaaaa u a cazy mofo but i respect dat u got parts lol
yo son i would do it jus think one new xmod wit minor defects or a full xmod wit all parts orrrrrrrrr clean body...u can jus take a showe duH!

firebird74
09-18-2006, 06:01 PM
I live near a rs that isnt in a plaza, im def goin now

atruebudfan
09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Why do you guys bring back old topics? In this case its ancient, its almost a year and a half....

Read the dates before you post!

BlackSky909
09-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Why do you guys bring back old topics? In this case its ancient, its almost a year and a half....

Read the dates before you post!
Thank you, they are both gone. Closed.

lilskipro587
09-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Bringing up old topics again........... Firebird74 and strtbllrz3 tempararoly banned

CLOSED