PDA

View Full Version : Car im planning 2 get and question.

Gruntofaction
01-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah I just got my learners permit so i've been looking for cars and such and found one i've been looking for 4 a while.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=211260637&dealer_id=58732021&car_year=1990&search_type=both&num_records=&keywordsfyc=&make=HONDA&transmission=&model=CRX&distance=100&make2=&address=31061&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2007&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1981&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=65

I know it doesn't look too good right now but hopfully when I get it I can work on it.

Now heres the question part. Anyone know about how much Insurence is for a 1990 Honda CRX??

I wanna know because I might decide not to get it if the insurence is too much 2 handle. :o

Skyline5654
01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
not a bad deal

musclecars4life
01-09-2007, 09:18 PM
insurance is gonna be a B*TCH though.... insurance on tuners is REALLY high... get a rusty looking muscle car and insurance will be WAY lower... and you will also have a faster car.

civic_guy
01-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Insurance wont be that bad actually. And just because its a "tuner" doesn't mean the insurance is gonna be high. It depends on whether it's 2 or 4 door and what trim. A GTO has monster insurance premiums but a 4 door Civic the same year wont. Older cars in general aren't expensive to insure because a lot of times you don't have to have certain types of coverage. Those aren't the only factors there's lots more but those are the factors that affected me when I bought my car.

The main thing that'll send your insurance premiums through the roof is whether you get a 2 or 4 door...(except for Evolutions or STI's)

ravevolution
01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
insurance is gonna be a B*TCH though.... insurance on tuners is REALLY high... get a rusty looking muscle car and insurance will be WAY lower... and you will also have a faster car.

Not necessarily. your insurance is goin to be high for you because of the following reasons.

1. your a guy

2. your a teenager

3. it depends on the car, new cars of course have a higher insurance premium (for your honda . . . get liability, cause its old)

4. it depends on the make of the car, my friend bought a BMW for himself and a Honda Civic for his wife (same manufacturing year), and his wifes honda has a higher insurance premium. - The reason hondas are popular cars when it comes to theft

Good luck man on your purchase and safe driving. I remember when I got my first car and when i got my license. :)

REDisFASTER
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Not necessarily. your insurance is goin to be high for you because of the following reasons.

1. your a guy

2. your a teenager

3. it depends on the car, new cars of course have a higher insurance premium (for your honda . . . get liability, cause its old)

4. it depends on the make of the car, my friend bought a BMW for himself and a Honda Civic for his wife (same manufacturing year), and his wifes honda has a higher insurance premium. - The reason hondas are popular cars when it comes to theft

Good luck man on your purchase and safe driving. I remember when I got my first car and when i got my license. :)
That's basically it. Even if you purchase a rusted junker, it'll still be high because you're young and don't have as much experience driving as an older person.

I'd say just get a 1991 240SX coupe and put the Silvia front end conversion on it. It looks outdated and not really sporty, yet its a RWD, much better than a FWD and more fun ;) Plus, unlike Hondas, they're not as sporty looking (though they are) so ricers would be less likely to steal it/parts

But overall, its your choice. If you have the money to maintain it and insure it, I say go for it!

spanx
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
he wants to much my freind got an 88 crx si with 150000 miles for 1400

ravevolution
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I forgot to mention ask you folks about maybe gettin on their insurance plan, might save some money.

Plus if your not a ******* in school, some insurance companies give you better rates for being a good student

MADMike
01-09-2007, 10:08 PM
also if you get into an accident and don't inform the police/your insurance company because you don't want them involved for obvious reasons it will cost you much more when they eventualy find out, learned that one from experience.

BlackSky909
01-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Lol thats all I have to say about that car.

DRFTKO
01-09-2007, 10:24 PM
not too bad man, good car to start out with (all around), aftermarket parts are not too expensive for it. Keep in mind it only has two seats:nod:

THE EDJ
01-09-2007, 11:15 PM
i have an 89 CRX Si, its a good little car, really good on gas, and yeah my insurance was high at first, but it has gone down. i paid too much, even with all the extras it came with. one word of advice on those cars: watch out for rust. the problem areas are around the rear fenders. make sure when you go to look at the car (if you do), that there isnt any rust (or very little) around the INSIDE of the fender. If there is a significant amount, dont buy it, they want too much money. once the rust starts there, it takes off and causes a lot of damage. good luck!

cembom
01-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Omg lol @mc4l The muscle car would be way more because lol its a sports car most likely. I mean its a little @$$ honda lol. thats a pretty good deal man go for it but please modify in taste lol. Wow your getting a car and you just got your learners? I am about to get my liscense and i think i am getting an 85 cutlass bt insurance is gunna be bad since imn a guy and im only 16 darnnit lol.

Gruntofaction
01-10-2007, 08:53 AM
not too bad man, good car to start out with (all around), aftermarket parts are not too expensive for it. Keep in mind it only has two seats:nod:

Luckily I plan to get a diffrent car in the future but I like this one.

And whoever said that thing about me going on my parentd insurence plan....BRILLENT!!:eyecraz:

EDIT:Yeah my mom said I am covered on her part of the insurence :blush:
i think i am getting an 85 cutlass

omg dude lol. My practice car is a 96 Oldsmobile Cutless SL lol.

Numbchux
01-12-2007, 05:10 AM
$2500 for 180k miles?! HA. might as well just put 'bend over' in the price slot.

get yourself an early subaru impreza. similar weight and size to a honda. bigger motor, AWD, etc. and much lower profile (read: lower insurance). and INFINITELY modifiable.

a 2-door AWD impreza can be had for $1-2k depending on location. and usually with less than 180k miles!

find something that can be setup to do whatever you want, and stick with it for years. that'll make you a much better driver, and save you a crapload of money.

Gruntofaction
01-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah im not doing the CRX now.

Too far away.

But I found an old Muscle car in my town...I think it is a muscle car anyway.:blush:

spanx
01-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah im not doing the CRX now.

Too far away.

But I found an old Muscle car in my town...I think it is a muscle car anyway.:blush:

you cant aford a muscle car if your a kid.

RodsRUs
01-13-2007, 05:30 PM
just because your a kid doesnt mean anything...
my first car was a 71 camaro....I payed 200 a month for insurence (canadian) and atleast that in gas a month....
thats like the same amount if you work parttime at mcdonalds.....

dont listen to anyone thats never owned an ACTUAL car/car that their talking about....

spanx
01-13-2007, 06:07 PM
just because your a kid doesnt mean anything...
my first car was a 71 camaro....I payed 200 a month for insurence (canadian) and atleast that in gas a month....
thats like the same amount if you work parttime at mcdonalds.....

dont listen to anyone thats never owned an ACTUAL car/car that their talking about....
how ong ago was that though gas has doubled in price in the past five years and what about when you need parts those arn't cheap either.

ravevolution
01-13-2007, 08:47 PM
my first car was my dad's 75 Monte Carlo. and when my folks put me on the insurance under that car it was cheaper than putting me in the insurance of our newer vehicle at the time.

Gruntofaction
01-14-2007, 09:22 AM

So I have a $1,500 budget and its $1,700. Yeah I really can't afford it.

young_ricer_14
01-14-2007, 11:43 PM
i dont know one story of one of those bein jacked.

Gruntofaction
01-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah that old Muscle car was an 82 Camaro but someone beat me to it....Thank god.

Im happy though because the owner of the shop that had it was getting in like 3 used CRX's under 1k so YAY!!!!

lol :blush:

kidZim
01-22-2007, 01:36 PM
$2500 for 180k miles?! HA. might as well just put 'bend over' in the price slot.

get yourself an early subaru impreza. similar weight and size to a honda. bigger motor, AWD, etc. and much lower profile (read: lower insurance). and INFINITELY modifiable.

a 2-door AWD impreza can be had for $1-2k depending on location. and usually with less than 180k miles!

find something that can be setup to do whatever you want, and stick with it for years. that'll make you a much better driver, and save you a crapload of money.
i'm looking for a Subaru right now :)

REDisFASTER
01-22-2007, 03:42 PM

I agree with Numbchux, get something that's not as popular so your insurance wouldn't be up to your neck.

A nice 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (its a two-door) would be nice. But if you want even lower insurance than the 2.5RS, get an older model with 4 doors.

Gruntofaction
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah i checked online theres like A TON of subarus undie 2k but they are too far away!!! like 500miles+

Numbchux
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
A nice 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (its a two-door) would be nice. But if you want even lower insurance than the 2.5RS, get an older model with 4 doors.

avoid the '98s. they have the DOHC motor, which has head gasket problems. there was a recall, and theoretically that helped...but I'm not convinced. but you can still get the '99-'01 RSs as a coupe, and they have SOHC.

remember, craigslist is your friend when looking for cars!! there are like 20 subarus for less than $5k right now.

Gruntofaction
01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
OMG LINK PLZ?!?!?!?

lol

REDisFASTER
01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Numbchux! Gotta love guys who specialize in specific cars!

Gruntofaction
01-22-2007, 07:39 PM
1 problem withs craigslist....

IM NOT IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

Jeez im not traveling out of state for an effing car.

Have to stay within my zipcode which is 31061. Jesus.

Numbchux
01-23-2007, 02:18 AM
1 problem withs craigslist....

IM NOT IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

Jeez im not traveling out of state for an effing car.

Have to stay within my zipcode which is 31061. Jesus.

NEITHER AM I!!!!!! Jesus.

there are different sites for the different regions. go to www.craigslist.org and look on the right side, and find your state, and click on it, then the city closest to you, and then search for the cars you're looking for.

of course, if you're only willing to stay within your zipcode (which changes every 10 miles or so...), you're probably not going to find much. unless your neighbor happens to have something. lol

Gruntofaction
01-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah I checked it more but it has 3 regions for georgia and none of them are near me.

Parents arnt traveling far if its gonna end up being a bust.

Numbchux
01-25-2007, 02:52 AM
Yeah I checked it more but it has 3 regions for georgia and none of them are near me.

Parents arnt traveling far if its gonna end up being a bust.

yea, but check out the ones in your state, I'll bet there'll be something listed nearby. that's about your only decent local option other than the paper.

Gruntofaction
01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Well theres a 1985 Nissan 300ZX for 2,800 but i donno if they go lower.

Numbchux
01-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Well theres a 1985 Nissan 300ZX for 2,800 but i donno if they go lower.

cool car, my dad has one, he paid $4500 for his, but it had 80k miles on it, and has never seen winter....

but if you want something fast, I wouldn't suggest it. it would need alot of work to get it to really perform, and specifically, alot of money!

whatever you get, be VERY patient, and look around. see what's available, see how much replacement and performance parts cost, make sure you know the car and know the market before you spend a dime.

saleensalesman
01-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Don't worry little brother it'll work out! I don't have any advice about what to buy or where to buy it, but I will tell you this: I sell cars for a living, and 99% of the time an individual selling his or her car will ask as much as 50% over what they will take for it in cash. The idea is to start high and you'll be more likely to get what you want for it. On the flip side of that coin, you start low, and see where they'll meet you.

Good luck man and be carefull!!!

Gruntofaction
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
So you think the guy selling his for 2800 would go as low as 1400? cuz that would rock.

Also I don't have to worry much about repairs and such:2 of my family members are Expert mechanics with over 10 years experience.

Numbchux
01-26-2007, 08:42 PM
So you think the guy selling his for 2800 would go as low as 1400? cuz that would rock.

Also I don't have to worry much about repairs and such:2 of my family members are Expert mechanics with over 10 years experience.

an expert mechanic can't help with cost of parts.

saleensalesman
01-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I betcha he'll take 1800 to 2000 cash. First thing you ask him is how long he's had it for sale."How long have you had it out here?" I don't care if he says 30 minutes, you say,"I'm kinda surprised it hasn't sold yet, tell you what I'll do...." not, tell you what I've got, or I have 2000 dollars, tell it just like that, "Tell you what I'll do" I don't care if your 13 years old, if you say the right things, you'll come out ahead.

Gruntofaction
01-27-2007, 11:32 AM
an expert mechanic can't help with cost of parts.

But 1 who works for most autoshops who gets a 30% discount can :).

I betcha he'll take 1800 to 2000 cash. First thing you ask him is how long he's had it for sale."How long have you had it out here?" I don't care if he says 30 minutes, you say,"I'm kinda surprised it hasn't sold yet, tell you what I'll do...." not, tell you what I've got, or I have 2000 dollars, tell it just like that, "Tell you what I'll do" I don't care if your 13 years old, if you say the right things, you'll come out ahead.

Wow lol.

Never knew the basics of it but thanks.

saleensalesman
01-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Don't mention it bro.:D

Gruntofaction
01-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Great. I really love the way my parents lie to me...

First they say I have $1,500 now they are saying MAYBE $1,300 or less...

And also they are saying "Don't get your hopes up we are only looking for pricing and seeing what you like. We doubt you will ever have a (Car name).":eyecraz:

Really nice parents I have.

Archon_Ramie
01-28-2007, 10:49 AM
That is way beyond weak. Time for a part time (or second) job so you can just get what you want and don't have to wait on them.