PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Questions

StiXxX
10-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Some things I've been wondering about Hinged pieces

1. approximate time of hinging? (yes, i hav a dremel tool)
2. how much structeral integrity is lost? (does the body become flimsy)
3. will what i've hinged fly off when i flip my car?
4. what have been some bad experiences for those of u w/ hinged pieces on ur xmods

SwedishRacer
10-10-2004, 07:06 PM
I lost my hood in a crash... I ave a supra nad cutting the front support beam makes the body a little weaker, it doesn't cary the shock of a crash throught the body. The front get messed up.

if you can get your doors to close good probably your doors won't fly off when flipping. Small but powerful magnets can help keep your doors in, don't know what it can interfeer with tough

StiXxX
10-10-2004, 07:24 PM
i think magnets effect batt's in some way can't rememger what though :-?

livestrong350z
10-10-2004, 07:31 PM
hey i have a hinged hood its been ok
1.it took me about 25 minutes to hinge my hood
2.no loss in the structure strength (i didnt use a dremal but i have one)
3.my hood dosent come off when i crash it also depends on what type of glue your using :nod: :nod:
4.one bad experence with my hinges was when i super glued in the wrong place and it didnt line up right so be careful and good luck ! :D :lol:

StiXxX
10-10-2004, 07:36 PM
hey i have a hinged hood its been ok
1.it took me about 25 minutes to hinge my hood
2.no loss in the structure strength (i didnt use a dremal but i have one)
3.my hood dosent come off when i crash it also depends on what type of glue your using :nod: :nod:
4.one bad experence with my hinges was when i super glued in the wrong place and it didnt line up right so be careful and good luck ! :D :lol:
thank you very much
if everyone would take the time to respond like this way i would greatly appreciate it, if not thanx anyways
Keep the responses coming

customxmodsparts
10-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Some things I've been wondering about Hinged pieces

1. approximate time of hinging? (yes, i hav a dremel tool)
2. how much structeral integrity is lost? (does the body become flimsy)
3. will what i've hinged fly off when i flip my car?
4. what have been some bad experiences for those of u w/ hinged pieces on ur xmods

1) hinging time will vary with your experience. I can hinge a hood in less than five minutes. But I have done several. For a befinner 15-20min. Doors using a dremel you can do in about an hour give or take a little. I use the dremel and a xacto knife. Trunk takes about 30 -45 minutes depending on how you do it.

2) hinged hood if you do it like the tutorial you will not loose sintegrity. You can still screw two of the screws into the hood. To keep it solid for driving. Hinged doors depends on how good you cut them out. If you do not cut the skirts then that helps your integrity but you will loose some integrity. Trunk all I can say is don't reverse into a wall at full throttle since the bumper is the only thing back there and the trunk will not hold it strong anymore.

3) Depends on what you use to glue the hinges on with. I use a metal super glue which helps bond the plastic from the body to the hinge. Do not use model glue it is not strong enough to hold up to heavy use.

4) The worst experience is when I glued my finger to the car body. But I lived.

Back to the hinging. if you follow the tutorials and do what they say you will be safe. The doors have a tab on the bottom where the side skirts and body lock together, if you leave the tabs and did a good job cutting then you will be able to lock the doors into place. On my supra I did I have to take the body off just to open the doors because of the tight fit.

Hope this helps,
cXp

StiXxX
10-12-2004, 04:46 PM
thank you i really appreciate the info :nod:

livestrong350z
10-12-2004, 09:17 PM
no problem StiXxX
thats just me and i just recently changed my hinging type on my hood i took them off and used a dremal to cut in between the two front bummper screws to insert my hinges and to give me more distance on how far my hood came out.
thats the way it should be done WITH A DREMAL :lol:
it comes out farther and you can see more of the inside :nod:
(hey mike a quick question do you buy the plastic hinges or do you make them custom ?? ) :-?

kendallcschm
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
how do you make your hood hinged? i would like pictures with instructions. i have an engine to put in to make it look kool

taiwanesekid05
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
how do you make your hood hinged? i would like pictures with instructions. i have an engine to put in to make it look kool

Please don't post in old theads. Check the time stamps. This tread is nearly 4 YEARS old. And I'm sure you can find a tutorial somewhere on the internet by using Google or this fourm's seach button.

kendallcschm
08-12-2008, 02:08 PM
SOOORRRYYYY mr.expert.... i just want to know how to do it.... i was told this was the place and i found all other advice to be good.... i checked about 10 forums and youtube but cant find anything

dontspamme
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
http://xmodsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2800

http://xmodsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2563

http://xmodsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3640

http://xmodsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=746

http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5392&highlight=Hinge

You really check 10 forums and couldnt find anything?

kendallcschm
08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
i hope i dont get an infraction for posting in this again but yea they were not very good forums though.... this is a great forum and thanks for helping. would a straw work for the tubing?