PDA

View Full Version : My dream car (even though I'm 14)

FlaminG35
06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
This is kinda long, but please read!:cry:

I've had many ideas about what my perfect first car should be. First, there was the Nissan Maxima (Dad's suggestion). Kinda luxo, solid Z V-6 powerplant. But then I wanted a two-door, so I looked into 4-cylinder for a change. I came up with the Acura Integra. The GSR would be SWEET, even though they're really hard to find with low miles now :cry:. I looked around a bunch of aftermarket sites (AEM, DC Sports, Eibach, etc.) and nearly every single sponser has sponsored one or TWO Integra, and since I wanted something not very common, that was WAY out of the question (can never do too much research, can you?). At this point, I started reading a lot of import/tuner magazines, like Modified Mag, Tuner Performance Reports, Sport Compact Car, etc. This made me start filtering thoughts of my first car. Then *WHAM*, why not go with Honda? Inexpensive, affrdable, reliable, what more would you need from a car? So now, I started browsing around for used Hondas. Since I like V-6s so much, my dad suggested the Accord V-6. So.... I did. The year I'll be getting will be around 98-00, so that is what my research came down to. I personally think the 98-00 Accord has great body lines, while still maintaining a strong stance, even though its not as cool as the 06 Accords! I started browsing around some aftermarket supplier sites, like Sport Compact Only, and Andy's Auto Sport. I was lookin for body kits, and man, there are a whole bunch of CRAP lookin kits out there! I won't point any fingers (--> Extreme Dimensions <--), but even though Extreme Dimensions had some crappy kits, they also had some good ones. I still haven't 100% decided on a kits, so I'm still looking. I would also put a nice carbon fiber spoiler on (NOT A HUGE IDIOTIC ALUMINUM ONE). For performance, I would leave the V-6 almost stock, since it allready has 210 whp. I would do the basics, like a CAI, Downpipes, Cat Back, just to improve flow, and upgrade the injectors. That would REALLY made the thing move :bigwink:. I would mostly work on the Interior, like some Recaro racing seats, short shifter kit, billet shift knob, those kinda things (yes, I want a manual). I would put some Eibach Sportline lowering springs, to rid of that ugly wheel well gap :mad:. Tint the windows (of course), shave some of the badging, cool graphic (not a stupid one, and one painted on, not a Vinel), and somethings like a flip-flop trunk kit from Autoloc, and probally their dissapearing license plate kit. And OF COURSE, a Beltronics PRO RX65 Radar Detector, only the best:nod:. So, what do you think? Is it cool? Or is it CRAP? <--I DON'T THINK SO. Share with me, waddya think?

kidZim
06-15-2006, 11:03 AM
If you're going to go with honda, please look at the Prelude. I had driven one a few months back before I got my Bimmer. I loved it, but there were lots of body work that was needed to be done. Preludes are really quick out of the box, they're a sporty 2 door, and they have a long life around 230,000 miles to death if well kept. I don't have anything against the Accord, cept that I find that a lot of older people (ie my whole grandparents and church going friends) drive them and I would be discouraged to buy one. But please do some research tword the Prelude. It'll be worth it. :)

napoleon_dynamite
06-15-2006, 02:27 PM
finding aftermarket for accord is a little harder to find than some other hondas. i'd say get a cheap crx or civic and but a b series engine in it, then if you have extra money, get a turbo. with that setup, you'll be looking at under 10 grand, and your car will be light (lighter than an accord, thats for sure). thats what im doing to my civic when i get the money. the only cosmetic thing im doing to it is getting a new lip and new paint (already have rims and tires), no cf hoods or spoilers. cf parts arent worth the money imo and getting a spoiler for a fwd car is stupid. just my 2 cents...

my dream car is an s2000 or a 350z.

shift_drive
06-15-2006, 04:14 PM
My first car I got was a hand me down, it was my Grandad's 1985 Chevrolet Silverado with a small block V8 in it, it was sky blue and had running boards and a camper on it when it first came to my house, when I was about 14. I worked on it myself for about 3 years. I worked on it alot. I took off the running boards and camper. I got new tires and wheels, dual exhaust and a new carb and spark plugs for it. This truck was good for a first vechile because it was a smooth ride and if I were to wreck I wouldnt do much to my vechile. Even though its gas mileage sucked like crazy it was still a fun truck, my girlfreind loved it also. It had its flaws though, being an older vechile and it didnt have that much attention under the hood, some of its parts were orginal and still on there andjust about everytime youd work on it something would break. It had a bad cam that was wearing away, causing it not to pass inspection, so I had to sell it to an out of town person where they didnt need the emissions on it. Where it doesnt matter if its polluting or not.
Trucks are nice to have because you can load stuff pretty much anything you want just not as long it fits in your bed. The downside to these American cars are their gas mileage. My truck got about 9mp in the city and 12 mp on the highway.
Now Ive completely changed my vechile. I got a 1990 Acura Integra Gs four door sedan.
Its got low profile Yokohama tires, Konig Image 16 inch wheels, and a Weapon R intake. This car performs well no matter what. I havent had that much trouble with it because I usaully take good care of my vechiles even though Ive only had 1 in the past its going to continue with this one too. These 4 cylinder cars, are really good on gas. Mines about a 10 gallon tank maybe 15 and it takes 25 to 26 dollars to fill it up, Im figuring I get about 28 miles a gallon.
I would say in the future that the Middle East is going to keep jacking up oil prices and gas so I dont think that gas will ever go down. I would stick with hybrid, 4 cyclinder or a very efficent v6. This junkyou see in these S.u.v's where they have the V8 and when your not driving a certain speed four of them shut off is too complicated and too expensive to fix when something goes wrong.
My dream cars though would have to be Acura Nsx, Infiniti G35 6mt, Nissan S13 Silvia K series.

Numbchux
06-16-2006, 05:26 AM
don't take this the wrong way. honest constructive criticism here, with a few personal opinions:

A) wrong wheel drive. unequal length halfshafts = torque steer = BAD!!!

B) an integra is too common for you....but a honda isn't?!

C) Best radar detector = V1, end of discussion

I have a big personal problem with visual-only upgrades....but each to his own

230k is nothing. the donor car for my engine swap had 235k, and only became a donor because of rust. the car receiving the motor has 180k.

you want a sweet ride? get a Z. my dad bought his '85 300ZX with about 80k miles on it, IIRC, for $4500. not a spot of rust. not perfect, couple dings and dents, but still real good. light car, good, torquey motor, RWD, great handling, T-TOPS!!, get some ~200lb/in springs and better shocks, and exhaust, and it'll be an awesome ride. not a whole lot of potential for big power down the line on that motor however, if that's what you want, but it's real reliable.

and always remember "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, then to drive a fast car slow"......not to mention cheaper :roll: ......Speeding tickets SUCK

SlickEVO
06-16-2006, 06:21 PM
My opinion: It's FWD. Lose.

FlaminG35
06-25-2006, 10:09 PM
OK, I'm going to go in order of the people who posted. To kidZim - I love Preludes. They look nice, I really like the headlights :). But I want to stay away from 4-bangers, I want to learn & mess around with a V-6, since I know a lot about 4-cylinders. Yeah, I can agree with you about old people driving Accords around, but thats exactly what I want (:-? sounds wierd, so keep reading). I want to take it a make really quick, so that all those horribley-done Civics (I like Civics) get whopped by a "Granny" car.

OK, next poster. This ones out to napoleon_dunamite - I know Accord after-market parts are harder to find, and thats yet another reason I want the Accord, a challenge. I know that CRXs and Civics are much lighter, but I do want to have an engine-swap. This is gonna be my first car, and I don't wanna go crazy with the mods. So sadly, (even though I want one) a turbo will be out of the question. I have to agree with you about the spoiler on the car, if I ever did get a spoiler, it would be because I have some extra money just floating around, which I know won't be happining. It would be a last-choice on my mod list. And back to the CRXs and Civics, just like in my response to kidZim, I would like a V6 instead of a 4 cylinder. Sorry:cry:

shift_drive- I know gas prices will never go down, so thats why I want to go with the V6. I know it doesn't sound like it makes any sense, but there is a ray of light on the V6. Around town, the 210 horse V6 gets a pretty good 25 mpg. Highway, it gets around 28. Lower than a 4-cylinder for sure, but still really good. And by the way, LOL. 9 mpg? Yep, thats an American truck for you right there :bigwink:.

Numbchux - I'm really going to work on the overall suspension system and driveshafts. I'm going to tune it up the RIGHT way, and I will seriously reduce tourqe steer. And besides, I'll most likely be a stoplight-to-stoplight kind of racer, not an autocross racer, so I won't have to worry about it anyway. Heh, I know what you mean by I think by an Integra is too common, but a Honda isn't. What I meant so say was the you NEVER see any sweet Accords. Around Kansas City Missouri (where I live) I see a LOT of tricked-out Integras and Civics. But, I still haven't seen any tricked-out Preludes or Accords, even though I want the Accord more. Sorry about that misunderstanding. I did my research on the V1, and I now have to agree with you. The V1 really is the better detector. Thanks for eleminating those future tickets :nod:. I didn't tell you guys about some of the restrictions that I have on my first car. My dad is the one thats gonna buy the car, and here are some of the restrictions. 1) less than $7,000, unless I pay for some of it too. 2) NO RWD. I know, it ****es my off too. But oh well. Since I know a lot about correcting a slide in wet conditions, I just might be able to convince him otherwise. YAY 3) Reliable so it won't just fall apart on me goin down the road.

SlickEVO - Weren't you the one who was sent to ban-land for making everyone ****ed off about how FWD cars absolutey SUCK, and how you could find a faster, better, and cheaper RWD anytime, anywhere? Ya, I think so. So, I'm gonna save you the trouble by saying SHUT THE F*** UP BECAUSE NOBODY CARES. Now, you won't have to post again and get banned. See? I think about the future;). No more comments.

If I didn't answer some of your quesions, I'm sorry. It's kinda late right now and I haven't had my Rooster Booster slushie from Quick Trip yet. Sorry:cry:. Please post with any more questions, or comments. Thanks!

Numbchux
06-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Numbchux - I'm really going to work on the overall suspension system and driveshafts. I'm going to tune it up the RIGHT way, and I will seriously reduce tourqe steer. And besides, I'll most likely be a stoplight-to-stoplight kind of racer, not an autocross racer, so I won't have to worry about it anyway. Heh, I know what you mean by I think by an Integra is too common, but a Honda isn't. What I meant so say was the you NEVER see any sweet Accords. Around Kansas City Missouri (where I live) I see a LOT of tricked-out Integras and Civics. But, I still haven't seen any tricked-out Preludes or Accords, even though I want the Accord more. Sorry about that misunderstanding. I did my research on the V1, and I now have to agree with you. The V1 really is the better detector. Thanks for eleminating those future tickets :nod:. I didn't tell you guys about some of the restrictions that I have on my first car. My dad is the one thats gonna buy the car, and here are some of the restrictions. 1) less than $7,000, unless I pay for some of it too. 2) NO RWD. I know, it ****es my off too. But oh well. Since I know a lot about correcting a slide in wet conditions, I just might be able to convince him otherwise. YAY 3) Reliable so it won't just fall apart on me goin down the road.

well, were I live, accords are way more common than integras....

well, I bet you could see this coming from a mile away.....but go subaru. the EJ22 is bulletproof, been proven for 300k miles or more, just don't let it overheat. And comes with between 130-140hp in stock form. get an impreza with a 5-speed and AWD behind an EJ22. granted, it is a 4-cyl, but trust me, a subaru boxer-4 is different than any 4-cyl you've ever worked on. even with AWD, it'll get high-20s for mileage. and can be pretty easily be upgraded with factory parts. AND, since they engineer the drivetrain and suspension the right way the first time around, you can do some pretty basic upgrades and make it handle awesome!

and...torque steer effects drag at least as much as autoX.

FlaminG35
06-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Allright, thanks to your guys' knowledge and wisdom, I've have made a choice about a car. And this time, I'm going to stick with it. I started to ponder about this when I read kidZim's post. Drum roll please............................................ . PRELUDE!!! After kidZim pointed out that it was sporty, I thought "Hmm... exactly how sporty?" So, I did some research. Since I'll still be lookin around for about a '98, I typed in "98 prelude specs" into Ask.com (<-- much more helpfull than Google). The first link that popped up was to an automotive site, layed out almost EXACTLY like this site, only having to do with real cars. The guy had posted "How much power does the 98 Prelude VTEC have?", and the guy below him said "about 195 horsepower and 165 tourqe." :eyecraz::o:eyecraz::o!!!!!! "HOLY CRAP!" I said to myself. That much power in a light two door? OMFG!!! Except I didn't use abrevations..... oh well. That was what really shocked me. I know the Prelude is a WHOLE lot lighter than the Accord, so I did the numbers in my head quickly and I thought, "Hmm... the Accord V6 has 15 more horsepower, but the Prelude is a ton lighter (not literally). Wow! The Prelude is a better looking car, and its quicker, AND its still made my Honda!" So, my decision is now goin towards the Prelude. Now all I gotta do is look on my favorite custom parts retailer site, and see how much the basic upgrades I want are $$$ wise, and how much it would cost to COMPLETELY make it into a full-blown race car. Thanks again everyone, and I'll be posting how much it co$ts for the basics and the compete race car later.

If possible, can someone post the exact specs of the 1997-2002 Prelude, VTEC and non-VTEC? Like the power, tourqe, weight, 0-60, stuff like that. Thanks

brad8758
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
no cf hoods or spoilers. cf parts arent worth the money imo and getting a spoiler for a fwd car is stupid. just my 2 cents...Exactly. These kids driving around in civics with bench seats for spoilers and ever carbon fiber part they could possibly put on it/afford, are idiots. If you actually look at the weight of the stock hood, compared to a cf hood, there isnt that much difference, not worth the money IMO unless its a strict racer, like drag or track, and you make the entire body cf. I'd get a Prelude. One of my friends dad has one, the vtec with a 6-speed I believe, its a fun car. Really quick. :D

brad8758
07-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Flamin, my friends dads 'lude is a 2000 vtec, and he claims it has 210 hp. It rips on the top end, pulls pretty hard. Not sure of hp ratings on non-vtec, though, sorry.