PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with custom Xmod

FociFanatic
09-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Hello to everyone. I am not new to the hobby but I'm new to this forum so I figured I would start by showing my custom Focus WRC Xmod. This project took me about a month to finish, but it was worth the time.
The body, wheels, rollcage, and brake caliper/rotors are from a Tamiya 1/24th scale model kit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/HirotoR34/Focuswrcgoodpic.jpg

with the lights on
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/HirotoR34/focuswrclights.jpg

erdaman
09-10-2004, 08:51 PM
WOW all i can say is wow thats awsome how did you paint the contoller?
man that thing is sweet :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

cols102
09-10-2004, 09:26 PM
yeah thats stuffs the **** man i gotta do somethin like that i am gettin sick of these models, you can only customize them so much

xmod
09-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Very nice car..where did you get the model? Have to paint it? Have a link online? Thanks - Dean

FociFanatic
09-10-2004, 11:21 PM
To paint the controller, I basically had to completely disassemble it and tape off parts that I didn't want painted. Tamiya models can usually be found at hobby shops or online. The model was molded in white and I wanted it to match the color of my Focus SVT, so I tried to find a red that matched it . It 's pretty close. The hardest part was mounting the body to the chassis. I ended up using the front tab from one of the bumpers I had for the skyline body. I cut away all the bumper except for the tab slot and after carefully measuring height and side to side, I mounted it to the inside of the bumper on the new body. Since I used the rollcage from the model kit, I mounted the stock Xmod rear tab to the rollcage. If you plan on doing something like this, I suggest taking lots of measurements. The hardest part of the whole project was cutting the body in half lengthwise and then trimming about a 1/8th from both halves before joining the halves together to match the wheelbase. Other than that it's not as hard as one would think.

FociFanatic
09-10-2004, 11:22 PM
To paint the controller, I basically had to completely disassemble it and tape off parts that I didn't want painted. Tamiya models can usually be found at hobby shops or online. The model was molded in white and I wanted it to match the color of my Focus SVT, so I tried to find a red that matched it . It 's pretty close. The hardest part was mounting the body to the chassis. I ended up using the front tab from one of the bumpers I had for the skyline body. I cut away all the bumper except for the tab slot and after carefully measuring height and side to side, I mounted it to the inside of the bumper on the new body. Since I used the rollcage from the model kit, I mounted the stock Xmod rear tab to the rollcage. If you plan on doing something like this, I suggest taking lots of measurements. The hardest part of the whole project was cutting the body in half lengthwise and then trimming about a 1/8th from both halves before joining the halves together to match the wheelbase. Other than that it's not as hard as one would think.

FociFanatic
09-10-2004, 11:44 PM
To paint the controller, I basically had to completely disassemble it and tape off parts that I didn't want painted. Tamiya models can usually be found at hobby shops or online. The model was molded in white and I wanted it to match the color of my Focus SVT, so I tried to find a red that matched it . It 's pretty close. One hangup I had was mounting the body to the chassis. I ended up using the front tab from one of the bumpers I had for the skyline body. I cut away all the bumper except for the tab slot and after carefully measuring height and side to side, I mounted it to the inside of the bumper on the new body. Since I used the rollcage from the model kit, I mounted the stock Xmod rear tab to the rollcage. If you plan on doing something like this, I suggest taking lots of measurements. Another difficulty was getting the wheels to fit the Xmod axles. I had to cannibalize an extra set of Xmod rims for the center hubs.
The hardest part of the whole project was cutting the body in half lengthwise and then trimming about a 1/8th from both halves before joining the halves together to match the wheelbase. Other than that it's not as hard as one would think.

MrUnlimited
09-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Nice job! What about the width? 1/24 should be wider than the xmods 1/28th scale :-?

MrUnlimited
09-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Nice job! What about the width? 1/24 should be wider than the xmods 1/28th scale :-?

MrUnlimited
Nice job! What about the width? 1/24 should be wider than the xmods 1/28th scale

MrUnlimited
Nice job! What about the width? 1/24 should be wider than the xmods 1/28th scale

FociFanatic
09-11-2004, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure about other body styles, but the width of the focus body was perfect. the wheels from the model kit are wider than xmod wheels , plus the custom hubs I made to adapt the wheels set them out further, so it worked out pretty well. It was mostly trial and error.

bigsho
09-11-2004, 10:40 AM
awesome man. take a pic of ur xmod sittin on ur svt focus. svt fords are the only fords i like! and the rally ones of course!

bigsho
09-11-2004, 10:40 AM
awesome man. take a pic of ur xmod sittin on ur svt focus. svt fords are the only fords i like! and the rally ones of course!

FociFanatic
09-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Here ya go.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/HirotoR34/2foci1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/HirotoR34/2foci2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/HirotoR34/2foci0.jpg

bigsho
09-11-2004, 09:37 PM
both cars look nice!

have u done any performance mods to the 1:1 svt focus?

FociFanatic
09-12-2004, 01:07 AM
I've only had it for a few months. I am looking into first building up the engine and then buying a turbo kit. Lowering springs and 18"s are coming soon.

bigsho
09-12-2004, 10:10 AM
I've only had it for a few months. I am looking into first building up the engine and then buying a turbo kit. Lowering springs and 18"s are coming soon.

please dont get 18 inch rims. u'll hate urself if u do. ur very well handling car will handle like crap, u'll feel every bump in the road, and they will look monstrous on that small of a car.

max rim size should be 16-17. u'll also hate urself for lowering the car.
yeah, it'll look cool. but listen to this. my friend lowered his dodge neon, and we went over some railroad tracks going 15 MPH and the ride was so bumpy that my head hit the roof. if u live in an area with bad roads, count on having to wear padding on the top of ur head.

i'd go with the turbo, but if they make superchargers for that car....go for the supercharger. with supercharger u wont have to worry about turbo lag.

FociFanatic
09-12-2004, 01:30 PM
The 18' s will be primarily for show. I'm going to use the 17's for autocrossing . As far as quality of ride, I said before that I was going to use lowering springs, but what I meant was a spring, damper combo. A company called Multimatic has a full kit for the Focus that offers full adjustability without the harshness usually associated with just throwing on lowering springs.
A supercharger would be nice, but I like the gains a turbo can offer. However, I first want to build it up N/A before I go with forced induction.

drifting RSX
09-12-2004, 04:20 PM
for some reason the pics arent working for me.....and yes i did do the show pic thing..

FociFanatic
09-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Update: This body is officially toast. I was driving it around my driveway and out of nowhere my dog( who usually ignores it ) grabbed the car and crushed it. I was so mad, I took a hammer to the remaining peices and threw it away.
So now it's back to the skyline body.

:cry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/HirotoR34/skylinerocks.jpg