PDA

View Full Version : locked differential (EVO)...Tutorial

Numbchux
02-16-2006, 02:12 AM
Well, I fabbed myself up a couple of locked diffs a couple days ago, and I thought I'd share how I did it...it was pretty simple

first off....the whole I'm not responsible for damages to you or your xmod if you do this. when cutting/drilling shards of plastic and metal are flying, if you don't wear safety goggles and loose your sight, it's your own problem...etc. etc. etc.

1. remove diff, however you'd like to do this, it doesn't matter, just pull it out.

here's the diff, dremel cut-off wheel, and spindle. respectively:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/Toys/PICT0526.jpg

2. cut spindle in half, I used a leatherman and dremel cut-off wheel, worked quite smoothly, but however you'd like to do it is fine
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/Toys/PICT0527.jpg

3. Drill a 1/16's inch diameter hole through the diff. making sure to drill it between 2 of the 3 spider gears, so as to not destroy one of these.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/Toys/PICT0533.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/Toys/PICT0528.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/Toys/PICT0529.jpg

4. insert spindle through hole
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/Toys/PICT0525.jpg

5. replace bearings (or bushings) and reinstall diff
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/Toys/PICT0534.jpg

now, the spindle can be removed to unlock the diff, however (at least with both of mine) some debris will stay in the diff, and cause it to bind some. I'm not sure if this will cause damage, but it will effect future functionality

also, this would probably work for the gen 1 chassis, but I haven't tried it (and don't plan to, my skyline likes it's open diffs)

torredo
02-16-2006, 02:28 AM
if you could make this more descriptive with maybe
more images of step-by-step, we could make this
a "sticky"

Numbchux
02-16-2006, 04:19 PM
if you could make this more descriptive with maybe
more images of step-by-step, we could make this
a "sticky"

like that?

gearhead
02-16-2006, 07:13 PM
i like that idia of drilling the holes i would have just glued it but this is better cause u can un-lock it

oddryu
02-16-2006, 07:32 PM
where is the spindle from? IS IT FROM A GEN1 CAR?

pittbull988
02-16-2006, 07:56 PM
i will do this when i get my truck.. good job comin up with the idea..but is there a way to get those debris that are left in the dff??

Numbchux
02-17-2006, 12:12 AM
where is the spindle from? IS IT FROM A GEN1 CAR?

comes with the stage 2 motor kit, it's an extra for the intermediate gear to ride on. but you could use anything small like that, be creative

not sure about removing the debris, I couldn't find a way to get the diff apart, that's why I did it this way, instead of wrapping something around the spider gears like the gen 1s....

punishment
02-17-2006, 01:25 AM
nice tut, long fingernails.

valkrie hunter
02-26-2006, 04:31 PM
a compressed air canister might be able to get the debrie out....since it blows
into the diff, it'll make the loose debrie flie out...or...thats whati think

Numbchux
02-26-2006, 07:12 PM
a compressed air canister might be able to get the debrie out....since it blows
into the diff, it'll make the loose debrie flie out...or...thats whati think

it might, but the spaces are so small, I dont think even that would work completely, but it'd be better than nothing.

until someone figures out a way to take the evo diffs apart, we're kind of stuck with this.

I also did some other grinding on the side of the diff to make room for a screw head. but I just couldn't shave enough off to avoid it putting pressure on the bearing. so might very easily could have more debris than anyone elses might if you just drill the hole.

truth be told, I have no interest in un-locking my diff, for what I'm using it for, there's just no reason.

fordredneck
03-23-2006, 02:50 AM
take a small nail, and knock the pin out of the diff, and then pull it apart glue it whatever the put the pin back in if done correct the pin should be as tight as before you took the diff apart its really easy....stop being scared to experiment, yall act like you got to have some1 hold your hand to do any of this

Numbchux
03-23-2006, 03:26 AM
take a small nail, and knock the pin out of the diff, and then pull it apart glue it whatever the put the pin back in if done correct the pin should be as tight as before you took the diff apart its really easy....stop being scared to experiment, yall act like you got to have some1 hold your hand to do any of this

I have no problem experimenting, but I couldn't see how the thing came apart, if the pin was just pressure fit, or if it had a nut of somesort on the end. so I did this, and I have no reason to undo it.

if this is the case, awesome, then the evo diff can be locked the same way as the gen1 diff.

fordredneck
03-23-2006, 02:35 PM
i will get some pics to show yall, goto wait for my camera to walk to my house so, it might be a few days, its really easy just got to apply pressure to the pin and it will pop out

pittbull988
03-24-2006, 12:14 AM
yea to take the diff apart al u need a a pen and a hammer u put the pen on the right side of the car if ur looking at it from the back. them hit the pen lightly and the pin should move i switched from the pen to the screwdriver that u get from rs with the car to move it even farther.. and to put it back together u just hit the other side unti it dosent move n e more...ill make a tut if u guys want me to if u want me to do it i should have the tut done on sunday

RodsRUs
03-24-2006, 01:13 AM
ya man make that a tut thats a good idea!

mrc5corvette
03-24-2006, 09:24 AM
is this only for the back diff, or would it help just as much in the front?

Numbchux
03-24-2006, 04:19 PM
is this only for the back diff, or would it help just as much in the front?

I did it this exact same way with both the front and rear diffs. but keep in mind, locking your front diff greatly limits your turning ability. I would only recommend doing it on a dedicated offroad rig.

mrc5corvette
03-24-2006, 04:42 PM
ok. im having some trouble with the front diff, but it is in the evo car., i think one of the dogbones is stripped.

Monster180
04-03-2006, 09:04 AM
i just put a dab of superglue in it. works real fine!

Red10152
07-11-2006, 10:41 PM
This works on evo cars right and does it mater what i put in the holes any rod that fits or does it have to be that one rod?

What does 2 and 3 spyder gear mean?

atruebudfan
07-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Wow... locking the diff on the EVO is much harder than doing a Gen 1.

Nice Tut by the way.

ima ball till i fall
11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
ewww like clean ur fingernails

bondo
11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
ewww like clean ur fingernails

ok, my man(numbchux) took the time to point out how to lock your diffs and all you can do is complain about his fingernails???
cmon man, he didnt have to do it and for all you know he might have just got done workin on his(real) car.

quit worrying about the minor details and look at the big picture.
its a good tut with pics and usefull info.

posts like that are pointless and off topic.

cheers,
bondo

firebird74
11-14-2006, 07:59 PM
not to mention that this post is over 3 months old, god ****

Numbchux
11-14-2006, 08:29 PM
not to mention that this post is over 3 months old, god ****

it is a sticky...however....

and the origional post was made last febuary.

yea, I don't keep my fingernails immaculately maintained. I don't have that kind of time. nor do I care that much. bondo is right on. chances are very good that I was just working on my real car. especially since that would've been about 3 weeks after the motor seized on my lifted wagon!

lee
12-29-2006, 11:38 AM
i did it to my titan
it works thanks numbchux