PDA

View Full Version : My Conclusion......Read On...

Iceman72
08-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Alrighty folks I have been doing some serious research on this lithium ion issue and special charger issue. Here is what I came up with and I will tell you how I came up with this. After reading please reply with what you think. If you believe what I say, this will save you serious cash by the time you finish reading this post. Just follow me here.

#1 Known Fact. Lithium Ion batteries work best with XMODS.
#2 Do they really need a "Special Charger" to charge them?
#3 99% of all new Cell Phones use Lithium Ion Batteries.
#4 All Nextels and Motorola Phones use Lithium Ion batteries.
#5 All Nextels and Motorola Phones come with car and house chargers that clearly read "These are ment to charge NiCad and NiMaH Batteries".
#6 My battery in My nextel last **** near all day after a quick hour charge.

My Conclusion.

There is absolutely no need to buy any special charger to charge these batteries. Any standard good quality peek charger that can charge the NiMaH cells will work great. Also if you want to be cheap and not buy one of those nice chargers that will Peak any battery, you can simply hop on ebay, and buy a $2.99 house charger for any "Nextel or Motorola" phone and do a slight mod to it so you have connectors and that will work 100%. As I look around on ebay and many sites selling these "Special" chargers you will notice that they are using cell phone chargers.

So bottom line is that you can do as I did. Hop on ebay and buy (2) Li batteries for $14. Then pick up a cheap desktop charger for "Nextel" phones and for around $22 shipped and a little work you will have a charger that can peak charge and discharge (4) Lithium Ion Cells in (1) hour and batteries instead of paying freakin $55+.

When my batteries come in i will make my charger and I will post pics and a tutorial on how to do it.

paco14
08-29-2004, 11:29 AM
hey if u do it i will do it too...
when r yur batteries coming in??

xmod
08-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Dude, WAY OFF! Ok here! Li-Ion cells NEED Li-Ion chargers!!!! Did you ever think that INSIDE the cell phone, There may be some type of converter to take that Ni-MH charge and make it into a Li-Ion charge? Im not sure about that but if the charger says Ni-MH on it, Then thast how it must be. 2) When you do this, Good luck because you may burn your flesh off! If you noticed, The cells are not AA shape to prevent what your trying to do. They make them a special shape so no one will take them and put them into a standard AA, NiMH charger and blow up! Li-Ion cells do not cost much (When we reopen) We will be selling a package of:
2 Cells (Tabbed or Non Tabbed)
2 Holders or 4 Zip Ties
Charger with Power Supply (300mAh charger)
For a total of AROUND (Not set in stone!!) $40 instead of that original $70+ All im asking is, Do not try it! There have been many SMART SMART people that have done this but they have made the correct modification to the charger for this. It is just down right stupid to take a charger for NiMH and charger the cells. Thanks - Dean

viperdout
08-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Dude, WAY OFF! Ok here! Li-Ion cells NEED Li-Ion chargers!!!! Did you ever think that INSIDE the cell phone, There may be some type of converter to take that Ni-MH charge and make it into a Li-Ion charge? Im not sure about that but if the charger says Ni-MH on it, Then thast how it must be. 2) When you do this, Good luck because you may burn your flesh off! If you noticed, The cells are not AA shape to prevent what your trying to do. They make them a special shape so no one will take them and put them into a standard AA, NiMH charger and blow up! Li-Ion cells do not cost much (When we reopen) We will be selling a package of:
2 Cells (Tabbed or Non Tabbed)
2 Holders or 4 Zip Ties
Charger with Power Supply (300mAh charger)
For a total of AROUND (Not set in stone!!) $40 instead of that original $70+ All im asking is, Do not try it! There have been many SMART SMART people that have done this but they have made the correct modification to the charger for this. It is just down right stupid to take a charger for NiMH and charger the cells. Thanks - Dean

If you try to charge a lithium battery with a Ni-Mh charger, there is a possibility that it will explode (our cells have a special piece that will rupture so it doesn't explode, but the battery will be shot regardless), and that is also the reason why AA li-ions are hard to find (so someone doesn't just pop them in a Ni-mh or Ni-cad charger).

Iceman72
08-29-2004, 10:10 PM
I find this pretty funny that mainly sellers have responded. i really do not understand how you guys make your conclusions. i have had nextel phones for ages, and on top of that I OWN a Cell Phone accessory store. I always buy Li replacement batteries and the stock Nextel and ALL motorola phones come with Li batteries. But if you look at any house or car charger for Nextels and any Motorola phone you will see that it clearly says it is a NiCad and NiMah charger and they work fine. Also to even go along with what i am concluding is that if you look all over ebay and even some xmod sites you will clearly see that many of you sellers of these "Li" batteries and "special" chargers are clearly using modded cell phone chargers. So unless Nextel and Motorola are lying on the batteries and on the chargers i would say you are wrong.

But to back up my idea, i am going to do this myself. My batteries should be in by tuesday at the least. Then I will make my own charger with a new Nextel dual desktop charger from my store. I would be willing to bet any amount that it will work great as expected.

All you guys need to do is look at your phones. I am sure some of you have Nextels or Motorola phones of some sort. You sellers are telling me that those cheap car chargers are Li chargers ? If so man are you guys ripping folks off. Those car chargers are only like .65 - .99 cents on ebay. Those house chargers are the same. I would have to say you guys need to show some proof. Here are some of my prime examples.

Check out these auctions. These are not mine just proof as to my conclusion.

Just as a note: I am not writing this to take money from you sellers or hinder your sales. Simply a intro to a Free tutorial. When I get my batteries in i will do this project.

Look at these auctions and tell me whats going on. Please. That guy has excellent perfect feedback doing what I am saying. You draw your own conclusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5915697181&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34063&item=5918048447

teammnm
08-31-2004, 09:24 PM
ok lets see you charge li-ions with nimh chargers and see how well they blow up in your face,

i would say why not go and learn more about li-ions then you can come back and say that you can charge them using nimh charger,

man people really need to STOP giving out wrong info

MnM

by the way the charger sold on ebay is a 300mah, and NOT I REPAT NOT a 500mah charger!

thats makes a lot of diffrence, you now, in chargering time

AC500 90 Min to 95%
AC300 120 Min to 95%

and dont forget the quality of the chargers,

Iceman72
09-01-2004, 03:17 PM
ok folks to all you doubters. Today I recieved my nice fresh set of AA 640 mah Li batteries in. So Fist thing I did was hook the batteries directly to my RSX Xmod. Second time to test batteries. I definetly see a huge difference in performance. As a matter of fact, I am going to have to get the 4wd kit. With the standard stage 2 motor in my car with these batteries I pretty much get nothing but sliding tires. Aside from that. Then I broke out my Nextel Dual Desktop charger, which by the way will charge up to 1100 mah. But as a small note the nextel batteries are 3.6 volt 700 mah Li. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Hmmmm.... I desoldered the back two connectors inside the desktop charger that hookup directly to the battery and not to the phone. I did this to rule out the argument that phones have some sort of bogus converter that converts NiMah to Li. So after that I put a connector off a stage 1 motor onto the (2) 4 inch wires. Now the wires come directly off the charger to the car. I then connected the charger to the wall. Here comes the build up....... After hooking the charger to the wall I hooked the car directly to the charger. Now I drained my batteries completely. Hooked them both together.......Hey no smoke? Whats going on, every seller said I will smoke the batteries? Hmmmmm. I then let the car sit on the charger for 30 mins as i do with my Nextel phone. Usually after a 30 min charge on my nextel phone I have a full battery. So i hooked the car back to the batteries and whalla as expected. My batteries are fully charged and again my wheels are simply spinning and no traction.

So to all you non-believers. You guys are just trying to keep your cash. Forums are about learning not ripping people off just to keep your money comming in. I am simply here to provide information that is true, not false. If you guys want pics I will gladely post them.

As a little note. Man this is a insainly easy thing to do. But if you need the same kind of Nextel Dual desktop charger I have, I will gladely sell them to you since I sell them in my Cell Phone Accessory store. The cool thing about using a dual desktop charger is that you will be able to charge up to 4 batteries at once if you want. Since I wanted to make this statement quick, I did not wire up the front hookup yet. Since I will just use my charger with these two batteries, I will not use my front. If you do not want to use a dual desktop charger you can use a standard Nextel house charger.

Drop me a PM if you wanna talk directly Bottom line, this is all about simple observation guys.

*disclaimer* I did not test this with any other type of cell phone charger. So any other test on any other type is purely on you. If you would like me to try on a different brand house charger please pm me with details. Why? Because i have house chargers to pretty much every phone :) Gotta Love it.

viperdout
09-05-2004, 06:49 PM
I find this pretty funny that mainly sellers have responded. i really do not understand how you guys make your conclusions. i have had nextel phones for ages, and on top of that I OWN a Cell Phone accessory store. I always buy Li replacement batteries and the stock Nextel and ALL motorola phones come with Li batteries. But if you look at any house or car charger for Nextels and any Motorola phone you will see that it clearly says it is a NiCad and NiMah charger and they work fine. Also to even go along with what i am concluding is that if you look all over ebay and even some xmod sites you will clearly see that many of you sellers of these "Li" batteries and "special" chargers are clearly using modded cell phone chargers. So unless Nextel and Motorola are lying on the batteries and on the chargers i would say you are wrong.

But to back up my idea, i am going to do this myself. My batteries should be in by tuesday at the least. Then I will make my own charger with a new Nextel dual desktop charger from my store. I would be willing to bet any amount that it will work great as expected.

All you guys need to do is look at your phones. I am sure some of you have Nextels or Motorola phones of some sort. You sellers are telling me that those cheap car chargers are Li chargers ? If so man are you guys ripping folks off. Those car chargers are only like .65 - .99 cents on ebay. Those house chargers are the same. I would have to say you guys need to show some proof. Here are some of my prime examples.

Check out these auctions. These are not mine just proof as to my conclusion.

Just as a note: I am not writing this to take money from you sellers or hinder your sales. Simply a intro to a Free tutorial. When I get my batteries in i will do this project.

Look at these auctions and tell me whats going on. Please. That guy has excellent perfect feedback doing what I am saying. You draw your own conclusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5915697181&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34063&item=5918048447

The reason is that we've actually looked this stuff up. Maybe your charger is designed to charge both, but if you do use a ni-mh charger, you will blow up your cells. If ni-cad and ni-mh chargers could charge li-ions, then why would people go to the trouble to design these chargers? Why would companies say their chargers only charge certain batteries? You can risk it, but you wave your right so sue if the batteries blow up on a regular IC3 charger. BTW, I have that charger, and that IS a lithium charger. That is Atomic Mod's AC-300, and it was recently discovered by an Xmod World member that it is also sold at www.allelectronics.com for about 10 bucks (with shipping). I am willing to bet your Nextel charger is also designed to charge lithiums, or the sticker could be wrong. If you've got some money to burn, buy an RS IC3 charger and stick some li-ions in it, and plug it in. I would stand back, because the seal on the front will blow off. This is from firsthand experience.

viperdout
09-05-2004, 06:53 PM
ok folks to all you doubters. Today I recieved my nice fresh set of AA 640 mah Li batteries in. So Fist thing I did was hook the batteries directly to my RSX Xmod. Second time to test batteries. I definetly see a huge difference in performance. As a matter of fact, I am going to have to get the 4wd kit. With the standard stage 2 motor in my car with these batteries I pretty much get nothing but sliding tires. Aside from that. Then I broke out my Nextel Dual Desktop charger, which by the way will charge up to 1100 mah. But as a small note the nextel batteries are 3.6 volt 700 mah Li. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Hmmmm.... I desoldered the back two connectors inside the desktop charger that hookup directly to the battery and not to the phone. I did this to rule out the argument that phones have some sort of bogus converter that converts NiMah to Li. So after that I put a connector off a stage 1 motor onto the (2) 4 inch wires. Now the wires come directly off the charger to the car. I then connected the charger to the wall. Here comes the build up....... After hooking the charger to the wall I hooked the car directly to the charger. Now I drained my batteries completely. Hooked them both together.......Hey no smoke? Whats going on, every seller said I will smoke the batteries? Hmmmmm. I then let the car sit on the charger for 30 mins as i do with my Nextel phone. Usually after a 30 min charge on my nextel phone I have a full battery. So i hooked the car back to the batteries and whalla as expected. My batteries are fully charged and again my wheels are simply spinning and no traction.

So to all you non-believers. You guys are just trying to keep your cash. Forums are about learning not ripping people off just to keep your money comming in. I am simply here to provide information that is true, not false. If you guys want pics I will gladely post them.

As a little note. Man this is a insainly easy thing to do. But if you need the same kind of Nextel Dual desktop charger I have, I will gladely sell them to you since I sell them in my Cell Phone Accessory store. The cool thing about using a dual desktop charger is that you will be able to charge up to 4 batteries at once if you want. Since I wanted to make this statement quick, I did not wire up the front hookup yet. Since I will just use my charger with these two batteries, I will not use my front. If you do not want to use a dual desktop charger you can use a standard Nextel house charger.

Drop me a PM if you wanna talk directly Bottom line, this is all about simple observation guys.

*disclaimer* I did not test this with any other type of cell phone charger. So any other test on any other type is purely on you. If you would like me to try on a different brand house charger please pm me with details. Why? Because i have house chargers to pretty much every phone :) Gotta Love it.

1. Call nextel. Ask them about this charger. Ask them if it's designed to charge both.

2. The store is not responsible for anyone blowing their batts or themselves up by following this assclown's directions.

3. Again, Iceman, go ahead, if you believe in that, please, go right ahead and throw your lithiums in your IC3 or cheap RS charger. It'll make a great show.

xmod
09-05-2004, 11:04 PM
I think mainly sellers have replied to that because no one else is stupid enough to try and charge it. It will not work. I'd love to know how you got it to. Thanks - Dean

viperdout
09-06-2004, 12:28 PM
This **** is locked. On another note, why don't the believers of him read up on this: http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/lithium.htm

Voltage peak is not an indicater of 'fullness' like with Nicads and NiMHs. This means they have to have a special charger.

3rd paragraph, 3rd sentence.