PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought an OL

Evolution
04-03-2010, 07:55 PM
After getting rid of all of my xmods, I forgot how fun it was to drive a micro. I've been meaning to get an OL for years now, but never did. After consideration, I said w/e to the price and just bought a brand new *[Kyosho Mini Z Overland]*! Should be here in 2 weeks. Since it had an ugly escalade body, I went ahead and also bought the Porsche Cayenne body along with bearings, lights and an x-speed motor. I'm also going to put the stock xmod truck tires on it, but my only concern is that they might/might not fit in the Cayenne wheel wells. Does anyone know for sure if they will fit w/o any rubbing or modding done to the body? Dr Kustom, for your porsche with the slammed wheels, did it fit perfectly? The xmod truck tires are the same if not a bit smaller than the slammed wheels right?

mycrors4
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
wait an OL? whats an OL?

Evolution
04-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Its a Kyosho Mini Z Overland, no worries I edited it.

Dr. Kustom
04-03-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't have an OL anymore, but the slammed rims on my Cayenne fit perfect, no rubbing at all. You should be fine with the stock x-truck tires, but I'm not too sure about the BFGoodrich off-road tires though.

Evolution
04-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks, I have no intention of the offroad tires, got rid of those a long time too. A thing that worries me is the FETs? I've heard rumors of it frying when use with high current motors and bigger tires? I'm only going to upgrade to an x speed motor and slightly bigger tires, should I go ahead and pay another 60$ for high quality FETs with proffessional service?

Dr. Kustom
04-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I have had X-Speed motor, with Aoshima Super Swamper Tires on my OL before, my OL had no problem with it. But its always nice to get a stacked FETs upgrade.

xmod noob
04-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks, I have no intention of the offroad tires, got rid of those a long time too. A thing that worries me is the FETs? I've heard rumors of it frying when use with high current motors and bigger tires? I'm only going to upgrade to an x speed motor and slightly bigger tires, should I go ahead and pay another 60$ for high quality FETs with proffessional service?

you shouldnt have any probs with bigger tyres i had the bf goodrich tyres on one of my ol`s and had no problems with the fets. as for the pricew you quoted thats high for a fet job on one of the other sites iam on theres a guy who will do it for 20 bucks for a 2x2 or 30 for a 3x3 it helps to look around

Action B
04-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I can do those FETs for you for $20 for a 2x2 or $30 for a 2x3 which includes the price of the FETs, you don't have to pay $60!

Check out the thread in my signature for more info.

Evolution
04-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Yea, was thinking about atomic mods and paying another $25 to have it done in a jiffy. If its not required I probably won't go ahead and stack it. Thanks though Action B, you'll be on the top of my list if I needed any FET help.

Evolution
04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Well, heres what I ordered so far: Mini z escalade ready set, porsche cayenne body, lights, ball bearings, an x speed motor and xmod f 150 tires. I'm thinking of gettig the oiled shocks, are they worth it? I found a front pair for around 10$ shipped, but the rear is 45$ shipped, should I go for it and buy them, or buy a pair of 3racing oiled shocks for 17$. I heard they leak alot though. Also, are GPM ones any good? Not sure which to buy.

lol
04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Go buy Radline Alloy shocks, they are 20 bucks a set and are oil filled. Exact same shocks. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

Evolution
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Yea, I guess we're the only ones who know huh?* I've known about it for a while, but read that screws that come with it are way longer and I don't have a dremel or any cutting tool cept a hacksaw so thats a no go. Might stick with the Kyosho oil ones?

lol
04-11-2010, 10:12 PM
You can always use the screws on the stock OL. ;)

Evolution
04-11-2010, 10:47 PM
We'll see. This is my first Mini-z so I haven't got a clue of what I'm going to be dealing with.

Evolution
04-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Well, this came in today:

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy53/RCFanatic1/IMG_1280.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy53/RCFanatic1/IMG_1281.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy53/RCFanatic1/IMG_1282.jpg

Too bad the rear part where the link connects was damaged during shipping. =( Contacted seller and he ordered me the new part. I've checked and its part# MV07 can anyone comfirm that this is the correct one? I can still use the current one, but not sure how its going to hold up.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy53/RCFanatic1/IMG_1284.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy53/RCFanatic1/IMG_1289.jpg

Took it for a small run, w/o the body since it was pretty low and I'm going to be selling it. All I can say is WOW. Where has this been my entire life!? The steering is just what I wanted, the suspension, hobbygrade electronics are fabulous. I somehow don't mine the rear gearbox or that its rwd. Its still a load of fun and has hill climbing abilities on par with my xmod fitted with a DIY crawler motor. Now just got to wait for the new xmod truck tires and porsche body. Anyone know what shock mounts and positions should be used for the porsche cayenne? Also, the stock xmod truck tires seem kind of thinner than the stock mini z rims. So does this mean they won't fit properly?

okoye
04-21-2010, 07:37 PM
yea the xmod tires wont fit the overland rims

winner
04-21-2010, 07:48 PM
lol we need a vid! and after reading your post im kinda wanting a awd lol

okoye
04-21-2010, 07:52 PM
are you talking about the ma010?

Evolution
04-21-2010, 07:59 PM
AWD? did I make the overland sound that bad? D:

winner
04-21-2010, 08:06 PM
AWD? did I make the overland sound that bad? D:

lol no, but i'd like an awd for drifting, touring, etc, lol but you made the electronics sound great ;)

but glad to hear your lovin' it!

Evolution
04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
lol we need a vid! and after reading your post im kinda wanting a awd lol

I was going to shoot a quick video, but after seeing my report card, parents hid it. Sigh* My dad finds all marks in the 80's unacceptable.