PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho Engine question

Kot
03-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I have a Kyosho Alpha 3GP with a GX-15 engine in it. about 5-6 years ago something went wrong
(from natural use, not like i crashed it or anything), and I assume its something with the engine since all
the parts are still functioning and can move freely as a rolling chassis without the engine. I put it away
ever since, and only decided to check on it again since summer's approaching (putting stuff on my 'to-buy' list).

What engines are there with three screw mounts on the bottom? Its in the shape of a triangle :P.
Are all kyosho engines mounted the same? also, would i have to change the pinion from the current
engine to the new one, or are they all the same?

I dont want to have to go to the point where i'll be chopping and screwing
the chassis to custom fit a new engine unless it calls for it.

xmod noob
03-30-2010, 05:37 PM
i would ask tayyab or reaper about this. tayyab had the same sort of problem with his kyosho engine and reaper helped him

mycrors4
03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
have u tried opening the engine? do u know what happens when u try to turn it on? you may have busted ur piston and sleeve, but im not sure

zippo855
03-30-2010, 07:08 PM
if its not rolling freely with the engine in place start with the easy stuff. pull the pinion off check the bearings, and check the shaft it rides on. and of course check the clutch shoes. even if something internally was wrong it should still roll as free as normal.
a little more description on whats wrong with it and we could help you some more.
but you should be able to find pinions for it.

Kot
03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
From what I recall, nothing of the chassis was broken. it CAN move freely without the engine as a rolling chassis, so I've targeted the engine to be the suspect.

From my last two runs on it before i put it away, I remember how before starting, i would roll the chassis WITH the engine this time, and it didnt seem to bind. however, when i started it, i tried accelerating, and all i could see was the exhaust functioning.

I'll try opening it sometime this April. Hopefully you guys can guide me and diagnose it.

-extra: the pullstart was already pretty screwed up. sometimes it would retract, and other times the little coil inside it would come loose and the string would just stay out (i had to manually open and wind the coil back).

jimmythekid1
03-30-2010, 07:43 PM
if it runs and rolls but will not move uppon acceleration I would say something is wrong with the centrifical clutch

mycrors4
03-30-2010, 07:44 PM
maybe its ur back plate mount thats ruined?.. a busted carb.. or maybe it just needs a good rebuild..