PDA

View Full Version : Frankenmicro project

cowboysir03
03-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I have come up with some inspiration! With the winter olympics and Paralympics finished I helped a frond clean out a bunch of tech cabins for the alpine skiing events. During that cleanup, we found a bag of heavy weawe carbon fiber fabric...a 4x4 foot sheet folded up!!!

So I thought of making some amalgamation of a bunch of different micro vehicles with a custom CF laminate chassis.

I'm leaning towards a micro Revo style machine or what I would call a rc24

stay tuned?

suicide_star
03-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Cowboy with some carbon fiber and a new project...sounds like something epic in the making :nod:

texan_idiot25
03-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Carbon Fiber and Cowboy are always a good thing.

cowboysir03
03-28-2010, 07:20 PM
so Ive been wrapping my head around some details and i think I might be able to pull off a conglomeration of tidbits from a variety of micro vehicles to make what i'm calling the RC28.

Visualize Team Associated RC18 with an EXOTEC conversion and you'll see where I'm heading.

I'll be bonding two prototype MRCG chassis (slightly shortened) to give it the base chassis and I'm hoping to fit all this under a Nissan Titan xmod shell.

Im hemming and hawing between gen1 xmod front and rear gearboxes or using some modified gearboxes from a MA010.

The arms will come from a couple Micro-Ts I have laying around.

Suspension will most likely come from a neat modified pushrod suspension idea I've had for a while....could wind up being very trick if it works.

Power systems could come froma variety of sources....I have so many boards/brushed and brushless escs laying about I could make numerous systems.:lol:

well, just laying out my thoughts for now and hope to start the bonding and laying out of the chassis this week.

texan_idiot25
03-29-2010, 03:45 AM
The pushrod suspension is what I was going to attempt with that lowrider Silverado idea I had. Never went through with it when it came time to dump $ on the CST10, though.

Micro-T shocks were a wicked candidate.

cowboysir03
04-02-2010, 06:19 PM
so, ive bonded the two proto mrcg chassis together and come up with a nice platform for starting this project. The bonding is super strong but the epoxy surface is a bit wavy due to some grot stuck on the plates i used to form the layers. Whatever, right?

Anyhow, i've been exploring the build process a little more and i'm pretty sure I'll be able to combine the micro-t arms and the gen1 xmod gearboxs.

My mind grapes are working hard now....:lol:

cowboysir03
04-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Yep...I'm going to use CF cloth to form/bond/laminate various bits and pieces of micro cars and trucks into one cool beast.

I hope.:nod:

cowboysir03
05-02-2010, 09:06 PM
sorry i havent updated this in a while...

Very limited progress up to this point:

CF base plate chassis is complete and ready for parts layout
I have back filled a couple rear micro-t pivot blocks (they are hollow to slot onto the gearbox) with an epoxy/cf mixture to create some solid blocks. I will be halving them and mounting them below some gen1 xmod gearbox towers to give the arms an oem mounting look....no ghetto custom work for me.:nod:

Just to give you an example of where I hope to head with this project...imagine the photos on this link in 1/28th scale.;)

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/Sites/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=9934711AD6084D9B9EEE60B290D29B45&SiteID=8398E64EA9C04E05B95200E5A3C25B85

texan_idiot25
05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Is this a continuation of what you started on XMW? I recall you starting a mini RC18 type project.

cowboysir03
05-04-2010, 01:56 AM
kind of....just had a thought process on how to improve the design without hand shaping too many parts.

The only crossover item will be those kicking monster truck tires i made for that vehicle.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/X-MaxxWheels002.jpg