PDA

View Full Version : February 2010: "Open Class" Discussion Thread:

TheB1GDude
02-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Please leave any discussion about the February 2010 Open Class COTM for this thread and this thread only. Any discussion within the entry thread will be deleted.

Howlsatmoonlight
02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
I will sweeten the deal by donating to the winner a 2004 Mustang body and body kit still in package, tire upgrade kit in package, any body from my RC Garage (including customs) except for the 65 mustang, which was a gift from my wife, and my first XMod. I will also give the winner an Evo or Gen 1 chassy, their choice.

I will also include a stage 2 motor upgrade for the chassy, as well as any spare parts/body kits I have for that body. If on the off chance I win, the prize will go to second place.

bnR34
02-02-2010, 05:59 PM
i guess i just got the motivation i needed to start project widebody supra drift...

mycrors4
02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
hmm, just out of curiousity, are we aloud to change our car after we have submitted one lets say, i enter a skyline, if i decide to change it to my civic, can i change it?(before the ending time period ofcourse)

BART
02-02-2010, 07:55 PM
hmm, just out of curiousity, are we aloud to change our car after we have submitted one lets say, i enter a skyline, if i decide to change it to my civic, can i change it?(before the ending time period ofcourse)

Why not just avoid confusion and drama and not enter either until you are sure of what you want to enter.

mycrors4
02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Why not just avoid confusion and drama and not enter either until you are sure of what you want to enter.

just a question that has been haunting me lol im not gonna change it, it just haunts me every single time i see one of these comps, never had the courage to ask, cause it is pretty silly, and makes you seem unserious

BART
02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
just a question that has been haunting me lol im not gonna change it, it just haunts me every single time i see one of these comps, never had the courage to ask, cause it is pretty silly, and makes you seem unserious

Well, there will be future comps:) If you dont win this one, try to figure out where you went wrong and correct for it on the other car for the next one. Good luck.

Howlsatmoonlight
02-02-2010, 10:11 PM
I have a question about the competition also. How much modification can be done and it still be called an 'XMod'? A project I have in mind for the competition would require multiple motors and boards, heavy chassy modification, reworking the steering servo, etc. It would still be mostly XMod electronics and motors, but the chassy would in no way resemble a traditional chassy when I am done.

So to sum it up, is it still an XMod if the electronics have been 'Frankensteined' together, with a scale model body? No biggie if not, I just want to clear it up before I begin work, or start a new project instead ;)

mycrors4
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I have a question about the competition also. How much modification can be done and it still be called an 'XMod'? A project I have in mind for the competition would require multiple motors and boards, heavy chassy modification, reworking the steering servo, etc. It would still be mostly XMod electronics and motors, but the chassy would in no way resemble a traditional chassy when I am done.

So to sum it up, is it still an XMod if the electronics have been 'Frankensteined' together, with a scale model body? No biggie if not, I just want to clear it up before I begin work, or start a new project instead ;)

have u seen B1G's B1g R1g? i wouldnt consider that to be anywhere NEAR an xmod, (no offence B1G it is meant in a good way)
IMO i say yes, but not sure bout what the mods will say

dreamingISdrifting
02-02-2010, 10:17 PM
well considering it's OPEN CLASS doesn't that mean you can pretty much enter anything that is 1/24-1/28 scale?

mycrors4
02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
well considering it's OPEN CLASS doesn't that mean you can pretty much enter anything that is 1/24-1/28 scale?

to me open class means, if ti works with a radio system i can enter lmao, but i wanna try my xmod at it right now

Howlsatmoonlight
02-02-2010, 10:51 PM
to me open class means, if ti works with a radio system i can enter lmao, but i wanna try my xmod at it right now

Sounds logical, but then 'Open Class' could just mean the body can be anything you like. I just don't want to invest the time then find out my entry was invalid ;)

mycrors4
02-03-2010, 07:17 PM
dang, forgot that i have my rc18 for a sec, been put away so long i havnt been seeing it,
hopefully next comp will be open class too or the one after that, i like open class lmao, either way my shelfqueen should stand pretty close next to that sexy propulse :lol:
would be crazy if i win tho, that propulse is pretty friken sweet with those rims and that body

TheB1GDude
02-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Open class means any scale RC vehicle that isn't stock, i.e. if you have a custom heli you can enter that... I threw my ProPulse into the mix.

mycrors4
02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
i know i know, i had forgotten bout my rc18 though.. if i hadnt forgotten, i woulda entered it

KITT222
02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Open class means any scale RC vehicle that isn't stock, i.e. if you have a custom heli you can enter that... I threw my ProPulse into the mix.

That means if I wanted to I could enter my 1/10th scale Slash?

TheB1GDude
02-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Sure as long as it isn't stock :)

The point of an open class is to get as many people as possible to enter, have a fun comp and ramp up everyone's excitement for the next one....

TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
02-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I am very disturbed about a pro-pulse or any other non Xmod in the open class COTM thread... It just turned me off to my favorite comp... It has for as I always rememeber it... Xmods, modded to any degree, and most of the confusion about what makes it an Xmod was already brought up in past COTM discussion threads... any NON Xmod should have a totally seperate Comp. I am very turned off now to this comp.. And no offense Big, I love the Pro-pulse... but the point is to encourage Xmod builds, and whats the point, if any scale can enter.... we just sent our hobby backwards, and we love to see those original Xmod builds in the Open Class COTM.... Im very sad right now...

TheB1GDude
02-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I am very disturbed about a pro-pulse or any other non Xmod in the open class COTM thread... It just turned me off to my favorite comp... It has for as I always rememeber it... Xmods, modded to any degree, and most of the confusion about what makes it an Xmod was already brought up in past COTM discussion threads... any NON Xmod should have a totally seperate Comp. I am very turned off now to this comp.. And no offense Big, I love the Pro-pulse... but the point is to encourage Xmod builds, and whats the point, if any scale can enter.... we just sent our hobby backwards, and we love to see those original Xmod builds in the Open Class COTM.... Im very sad right now...

I have removed my entry and modified the rules to say that your entry must be an XMOD... I trust now that I have adjusted the competition so that it is more to your liking you will be entering something??? If you don't enter anything then the competition will revert back to the way it was as I know some members had an interest in being able to enter anything....

As for everyone else please pay attention to the new rules.... modified XMODs only for this open class competition.

trans_am_lover_79
02-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Can an entry be a car that has been a project for awhile? I'm talking about my "project resurrecting civic". It's not completed yet, but IF I get it done in time, can I enter that?

TheB1GDude
02-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Sure thing.... as long as its an XMOD that was built by you and hasn't one a previous comp it can be entered....

trans_am_lover_79
02-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Ok. Thanks. I will get working..

TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
02-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I have removed my entry and modified the rules to say that your entry must be an XMOD... I trust now that I have adjusted the competition so that it is more to your liking you will be entering something??? If you don't enter anything then the competition will revert back to the way it was as I know some members had an interest in being able to enter anything....

As for everyone else please pay attention to the new rules.... modified XMODs only for this open class competition.

You're an Angel....LOL. I do agree that there should be a Comp for different scale RC's wether as a conglomerate (check spelling) or each seperate. Its just the Xmod Open Class Comp has always been XMS's most participated and enjoyed Comp. I would vote for your Pro-Pulse, lol.

TheB1GDude
02-07-2010, 07:12 PM
We are thinking we might run another parallel competition for larger scale cars, we well have to see how many entrants we can get though....

mycrors4
02-07-2010, 07:15 PM
We are thinking we might run another parallel competition for larger scale cars, we well have to see how many entrants we can get though....

can count me in on that, :dance: and IMO cant really call it "larger scale" cause a micro-t is kinda.. pretty friken small lmao, but yes most of the entries would be bigger than 1/28-1/24

TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
02-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Me too, i can enter 1/18 or 1/10 ... both custom builds not done yet... maybe would give me the push to get them done...

BIG... I am going to enter this month, but I don't know if I should do it now or on the last day of the month. I am going to be gone from Monday till the 26th or so.. If I enter now, I wouldn't have an original body for the Ultimate Evo...... ??? I may just enter it now.

TheB1GDude
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM
A lot of members have 1:18 to 1:8 cars so we could probably hold at least one or two larger scale comps....

XXX - Entering it now sounds like it would be easier for you.... as long as the body you use hasn't won a previous competition its all good.

TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
A lot of members have 1:18 to 1:8 cars so we could probably hold at least one or two larger scale comps....

XXX - Entering it now sounds like it would be easier for you.... as long as the body you use hasn't won a previous competition its all good.

LOL.... I haven't won a Comp yet at all... LOL. The first one I entered I lost by 1 vote, and that happened cuz I voted for myself, which I didn't realize was a rule... LOL. So I guess I should be safe... Ill post it tonight, thanks Big.

dreamingISdrifting
02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
as mentioned earlier how close does it have to be to an xmod to be considered an xmod? Like does it have to use the xmod chassis or can it just use the xmod gearbox? ETC, Etc

c1v1c
02-07-2010, 11:07 PM
as mentioned earlier how close does it have to be to an xmod to be considered an xmod? Like does it have to use the xmod chassis or can it just use the xmod gearbox? ETC, Etc

examples?:
custom.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/quam3900/IMG_2021.jpg

custom.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/quam3900/IMG_0622.jpg

custom.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/quam3900/IMG_0963.jpg

custom.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/quam3900/IMG_0084.jpg

I guess these could be referred as legit entries.

They all have xmod related parts but also some scratch parts but does'nt look like any normal xmod.

lol
02-07-2010, 11:15 PM
i worship c1v1c. 99.9% of my project / ideas are from this guy. :D

dreamingISdrifting
02-07-2010, 11:22 PM
those are perfect examples!!! BTW i remember reading your thread witht he solid axles did you ever get them to work out? if you did you should post some pics up!

TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
02-08-2010, 12:17 AM

We go through this every Open Clas Comp... It should be obvious what whats used and is primarily an Xmod. Just an Xmod Diff, doesn't sound like an Xmod at all.... Just use some common sense. When you look at the car and the first thing you think is "That was an Xmod at one point" then it qualifies. LOL, don't read into it to much.... and just make a submission, and if it doesn't qualify they will tell you and remove it.

Big, by the way Im going to post my Build on the 26th or so.... I really want to finish the body. It will only take me a day, so when I get back on the 25th, Ill finish her up and post. Thanks again Bro.

Howlsatmoonlight
02-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Sorry that my inquiries started a heated discussion ;) I tried to do some research from previous open class comps and didn't find the answers I needed. Guess next time I will spend more time searching :P

Stugottz
02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
what exactly is this contest i might want in

dreamingISdrifting
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
have you read the other CTOM threads? well you should take a look, but its a COTM thread which stands for Car Of The Month, open class is pretty much any xmod that can be entered, but entering a "stock" or just a Radioshack upgraded may not be the brightest idea

mycrors4
02-12-2010, 06:50 PM
have you read the other CTOM threads? well you should take a look, but its a COTM thread which stands for Car Of The Month, open class is pretty much any xmod that can be entered, but entering a "stock" or just a Radioshack upgraded may not be the brightest idea

lies my RS upgraded Gen1 drifter project that does not work atm(electronics need rewiring, i also need to get gen1 tight turns)can probably win from its uniqueness of poor people modding lol(its basicly a complete budget gen1 drifter, its a top secret project, no one knows a clue about it)

ahhhh ive given out too much info already!! :lol:

dreamingISdrifting
02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
lies my RS upgraded Gen1 drifter project that does not work atm(electronics need rewiring, i also need to get gen1 tight turns)can probably win from its uniqueness of poor people modding lol(its basicly a complete budget gen1 drifter, its a top secret project, no one knows a clue about it)

ahhhh ive given out too much info already!! :lol:

Well it has poor people mods, I would consider that more than just RS upgrades, I will be waiting for when its complete:D

Stugottz
02-12-2010, 07:14 PM
ill put something togeter

Howlsatmoonlight
02-12-2010, 11:53 PM
For the past 2 weeks I have been trying to figure out how to make this new secret switch I wired onto my remote not make my car explode...I haven't even started body work yet ;) Yes this is another crazy project, meant to entertain the masses as I howl at the moon...provided I live through the unveiling.

TheB1GDude
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
All it seems I was a little strict on my re-write of the rules after the complaint about what type of RC cars can be entered into an open class competition, Open Class competitions on XMS have traditionally allowed small scale RC cars to be entered, i.e. XMODs / Mini-Z's / etc, so if you have a custom Mini-Z that you want to enter please feel free.

mycrors4
02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
i think tahts a good idea, i think open class should be for 1/24 scale and smaller(so anything from a mini-z to a micro-t, to a custom made car)
and lets say everything bigger than 1/18 scale is considered as another comp?

and just to say
we all loose :(, Dr. Kustom wins :D. The End. :lol:

garder121
02-17-2010, 04:07 PM
and just to say
we all loose :(, Dr. Kustom wins :D. The End.

IMHO you have never spoken anything more true lmao j/k :lol:

Blackdragon
02-17-2010, 05:32 PM
and just to say
we all loose :(, Dr. Kustom wins :D. The End. :lol:[/QUOTE]

IMHO you have never spoken anything more true lmao j/k :lol:

Well, if you go on price then yes and he did a beautiful job with the body but I believe there may be some competition coming as all entries are not in yet. I'm going to enter just for fun. Who knows what may happen. And good luck to all.

mycrors4
02-17-2010, 06:42 PM
i posted mine for it's realism and shelfqueenness, but dr custom beat the realism part by a long shot :( but his hasnt been a shelf queen as long as mine has :-p, unless that body has been sitting there for over 6months, and he just decided to paint it lol
but i know from now im not gonna come first, or second... third, well if im lucky

XMDrifter
02-18-2010, 12:58 AM
i guess i'll enter. just gonna get my paint work done in a few days and i'll be rockin' it.

TheB1GDude
02-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Final day to enter guys.

Howlsatmoonlight
02-22-2010, 08:32 PM
There will be an accompanying video as soon as I can get my camcorder working, hopefully tonight. I redesigned a Sturmtiger Tank to look much more steampunk. The tank in back (with the smoking smiley face ;) ) is actually a functional pressure tank, allowing my Xmod to shoot flames up to 4 feet. As soon as I can get a video I will show you. I will only explain the custom mechanisms used to moderators that need the information to confirm it is working, and my own design. I will not share the information with anyone else, as I do not want any teenagers building potentially lethal exploding XMods, and I will not be held legally responsible for anyone blowing a limb off in an attempt to reproduce my work. :P

EDIT: The flame thrower in action. Its hard to see from the angle, but it had a 1-2 foot flame. Its capable of much more, but I was too cold to keep messing with it :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaCFxEmYNPc