PDA

View Full Version : school

The devils playground
09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Has anybody else heard about Obama is gonna try to make our school days longer or the wheek longer? i kinda doubt it but not sure just thought i would ask all you lol.

BART
09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
As long as this stays on topic, I think it will be a decent discussion.

taiwanesekid05
09-28-2009, 09:14 PM
I heard about it. Personally, I don't think that extending the school days/ hours is going to help. The problem is that our schools don't push students hard enough, and eventually, it boils down the the students themselves. Students in Taiwan, China, Japan, Korea, etc. usually try to strive and be the best, number one in their class, while just a few don't care about their schooling. However, in American, many students don't really care that much about their education, while a few value it and take advantage of it.

In order to make our schools better, it's not the number of school days, but how we are taught and the way we can we convinced and pushed to become better students.

imnotmikal
09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Most likely a rumor.

The day/week/year is set by your own school district, the government just gives them a ballpark amount of hours you need for each class.

The devils playground
09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
i know i personally dont think it matters on time. we had a foreign exchange student from Japan and he said they are pushed really really hard. He showed me some of the work it was so much but anyways you have good opinions but i just dont think he's doing a good job such as health care, because where is the gov't gonna get money were in trilions in dollars of debt from wars so i just dont get either situation lol sorry for the long reply.

BART
09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I heard about it. Personally, I don't think that extending the school days/ hours is going to help. The problem is that our schools don't push students hard enough, and eventually, it boils down the the students themselves. Students in Taiwan, China, Japan, Korea, etc. usually try to strive and be the best, number one in their class, while just a few don't care about their schooling. However, in American, many students don't really care that much about their education, while a few value it and take advantage of it.

In order to make our schools better, it's not the number of school days, but how we are taught and the way we can we convinced and pushed to become better students.

This... I agree with. I have 3 kids in school so although school has long passed me by, i still have an opinion.

BART
09-28-2009, 09:24 PM
but anyways you have good opinions but i just dont think he's doing a good job such as health care, because where is the gov't gonna get money were in trilions in dollars of debt from wars so i just dont get either situation lol sorry for the long reply.

This has nothing to do with the discussion, this needs to remain ON topic. We do not allow political discussions, as long as this stays on the topic at hand it can remain open.

jimmythekid1
09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm against it, because I'm against any thing thats gonning to raise my taxes.

this is the article.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_re_us/us_more_school

GearHeadV8
09-28-2009, 10:04 PM
I am in school and im against it. I know it might seem like im only saying this cause i don't want to go to school but i see it like this...

start rant...

I see it as the longer we are in school the more bored and tired and the less you will listen or pay attention.

But if they decressed the amount of hours we wont become so tired.

I think it would be cool if it school was just monday,tuesday,thursday,friday.

this was monday through tuesday we learn and then wed we have off so we can catch up and so we can rest up so that way we won't be so tired. then thursday through friday.

even if the teachers gave a small project on wed even still we would not be so tired

end rant...

winner
09-28-2009, 10:06 PM
lenthining school hours is a terrible idea, im in 9th grade and i sit in a desk for 7 hours mon-friday, and con sidering that we have 180 school days a year.. 7x180= 1260.. thats 1260 hours a year we spend sitting at desks all day. do you really think you want to add more to that, and for example, take how ever much you make on your pay check and times it by 1260.. that how much money you could make instead of sitting at school all day.

and yes i have a summer job.

imnotmikal
09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
That last post made me agree with the Pres.
"lenthining"
"con sidering"

:P
I'm just picking on you.

And here's how I see it.
Kind of agreeing with whoever said we get bored/tired in school.
Instead of 7 hours a day, for Mon-Fri, I personally think it should be Mon-Sat, but only 4 1/2 to 5 hours a day, starting no earlier than 10am.

texan_idiot25
09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
The government has no control over state regulations. But they do have control over the state's federal funding. See the pickle? Hence why we have no autobahn.

And stop *****ing about 7 hour school days. What are you gonna do when you have a job? Count that many of your honor students have many extra-curricular activities tacked onto even harder classes, and they do just fine with sleep.

monsterhunter
09-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I was actually talking about this to some friends a few days ago. im really against this idea, seeing it wouldnt really benefit us at all. because if you make school longer and more days also, then the kids that already hate school will just hate it even more. and the ones who do like it and do good, just get stressed out even more with no real break to calm em down( I.E summer vacation). I know what its like for both sides since i dont care that ,such any way, and half of my friends are those who need to do good in school, they are always so stressed out, you can never really have a good conversation until the summer when they actually dont have to work all the dang time. Also, as one of my very smart friends said, he really cant do anything about the education seeing that it is state run, not government run. and theres my lecture on this subject. now i av to right an English paper.

taiwanesekid05
09-28-2009, 10:33 PM
The government has no control over state regulations. But they do have control over the state's federal funding. See the pickle? Hence why we have no autobahn.

That's what I thought...

What I find strange is that while this talk about extending school days and hours is going on during the recession and schools are getting their funds cut left and right. California is even discussing cutting a week off of school to save money, much less than extending school days and hours to suck up the rest of the nearly nonexistent money California has.

texan_idiot25
09-28-2009, 10:43 PM
California is a good example of why left-heavy ideals are not so grand and tend to run a debt that can't be paid. Cali taxes and does everything to bring revenue these days and is still on the edge of going broke as a state.

Donziikid
09-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Over the course of my education the school days have been lengthened and lengthened each and every year; whether it be by school choice or push from State mandated curriculum. Also, to my understanding, much of this State mandated curriculum is pushed by the Federal Government. From this I can see how while the Federal Government cannot make rules or regulations stating schools must go from certain time to certain time, but they can otherwise have a major influence on what is going on within the schools.

Sadly, it could happen.. Thankfully, I will have graduated by the time it does happen.. :lol:

Cheers,
Kyle.

taiwanesekid05
09-28-2009, 10:54 PM
California is a good example of why left-heavy ideals are not so grand and tend to run a debt that can't be paid. Cali taxes and does everything to bring revenue these days and is still on the edge of going broke as a state.

Plus that fact that they pay way too much for state employees. Firemen, even though their job is important, receive around $80,000 to $100,000 a year in salary, almost as much as my dad makes being a programmer. And my city paied nearly $250,000 plus divorce fees to my superintendent because they wanted her to still be the superintendent and that other good superintendents would be more expensive.

texan_idiot25
09-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Over the course of my education the school days have been lengthened and lengthened each and every year; whether it be by school choice or push from State mandated curriculum. Also, to my understanding, much of this State mandated curriculum is pushed by the Federal Government. From this I can see how while the Federal Government cannot make rules or regulations stating schools must go from certain time to certain time, but they can otherwise have a major influence on what is going on within the schools.

They do it by bribing federal funding. "You can do what you want, but I won't give you money if you don't take my suggestion". Hence, speed limits, my reference to the autobahn.

The devils playground
09-28-2009, 11:07 PM
good opinions i agree with the people that were talking about the cost of it because if we go longer days or weeks it will cost more and i know sports is just a side thing and doesnt matter but thats one of the main reasons kids do sports and it might cut that down but idk we'll see what happens.:uhoh:

taiwanesekid05
09-28-2009, 11:19 PM
If Obama really wants students in the U.S. to catch up with the world, what he has to do now is to restructure the education system. Sure, it's a bit far reaching and a bit like the No Child Left Behind act thingy, but it's the fact that schools don't educate children enough. Kids from Europe already know all the countries in Europe (well, they kinda have to) while kids in the U.S. barely know where all 50 states are, much less than where the countries are in Europe. And a teacher once said to my class that his smartest student was from China and he knew more about the U.S. than other kids in his class did.

So, once again, in order to make kids in the U.S. smarter, change the education system to broaden topics and make things just a smidge harder for the students so they will learn more and over time be able to catch up with the rest of the world.

KITT222
09-28-2009, 11:30 PM
And stop *****ing about 7 hour school days. What are you gonna do when you have a job? Count that many of your honor students have many extra-curricular activities tacked onto even harder classes, and they do just fine with sleep.

I'm one of those honor roll kids, and Im involved with a club and theatre. I do fine with little sleep, and I'm the last lunch. Plus I even find enough time to read. Finished a 300 page book in 2 weeks in jsut my free time. 9th grade is pretty good so far.

I read the same article. No way am I going to stay 'til 6, I'd jsut stage a protest and walk out with a bunch of other students. I'm okay with my current schedule (8:30AM-3:00PM, our high school is packed so the freshmen head hancho at the jr. high) which is 6 1/2 hours. We cant go another half hour or the elementary students will need to wait. They say that our scores are lower because nobody gives a ---- anymore! Last year about 3 kids in my math class of 20 actually did their work without looking in the back of the book! Increasing would make them even more ignorant, and then grades would fall even lower. And remember, all work and no play makes Johhny a dull boy, so no super short summers!

lol
09-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Im in Charter school, Freshman, I have 1-3 hours of homework nightly, the teachers push you hard. I can keep up. I get free tutoring also. Its just the teachers hired aren't strict enough and punishments aren't doing anything. Charter school is good, way better than public school, the school is like a train, it keeps on going, it might sometimes stop to pick people up or even take people off. I got on not long ago, im pushing, im going. At the end of the line, is a good future for me. But, adding school hours to my kind of school isn't nessacary (sp), like I said before, its the teachers not pushing you, you should learn to push yourself in public school. Everywhere I go, I see "ghetto" people. I think of them, and their future. I can imagine them receiving poor jobs and minimum wages, I think about myself, I don't want to end up like them, so I push myself. Public schools are mostly about pushing yourself, but most people or kids don't do that, they rely on their teachers (like me kind of). Obama just needs to establish an effective teacher hiring course with specific requirements and interviews, to make sure they can push students.

Witty
09-29-2009, 06:21 AM
I've been hearing about this sense last year. I don't think it will get passed. School here in Indiana sucks now because we dont get half days. :(

TheB1GDude
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Personally I think the problem stems from this 'No kid left behind' rubbish bought in to public schools by the previous administration, rather than motivating and pushing the kids that take longer to learn a subject it allowed them to take calculators and cheat sheets in tests because it was more interested in showing higher numbers of kids passing than actually teaching the kids.

Create jobs by hiring more teachers, then reduce class sizes and allow more one on one time with students and teachers, get the kids to want to learn rather than sitting there just messing around, my wifes brother spends most of his day making fart sounds on his iPhone or using the language translator to cheat in language classes... what the hell is that all about!

Giving the current level of intelligence coming out of our schools the film idiocracy really does seem like an accurate portrayal of the future.

mycrors4
09-29-2009, 08:12 PM
well i say, start school at 8:00 AM and end at 5:00 PM and only have school monday-thursday :D we get a day off, more lunch time for seniors and people who drive to go "out" and eat. and have classes move slower ,so we actually understand the info instead of cramming a bunch of info in a short period. ex: would you rather learn 1 chapter of chemistry in 2 hours or 1 hour? but thats just my opinion

JDMDUDE
09-29-2009, 08:32 PM
I think some of the teachers need to be changed because some of them are mean as crap and it seems some of them are there for the money and i heard some of them curse at the students.It is mostly at my high school in other schools like middle school and elemetry weren t that bad

jimmythekid1
09-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Do Any of you guys use block scheduling?

imnotmikal
09-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Do Any of you guys use block scheduling?

We do.
Day 1:
1- about an hour
2- 1 hour, 45min
3- 1 hour, 45min
4- 1 hour, 45min

Day 2:
1- about 55 minutes
5- 1 hour, 45min
6- 1 hour, 45min
7- 1 hour, 45min

jimmythekid1
09-29-2009, 09:38 PM
We do.
Day 1:
1- about an hour
2- 1 hour, 45min
3- 1 hour, 45min
4- 1 hour, 45min

Day 2:
1- about 55 minutes
5- 1 hour, 45min
6- 1 hour, 45min
7- 1 hour, 45min

That's basically how my school was, I think it worked out pretty well.

To really improve our counties education it started in the home. I'm not saying every one but a lot of parents are not really involved much in their children's education. If the parents don't care why will the kids.

hopeintheflesh
09-29-2009, 09:39 PM
I believe that it's a little too late to try to catch up with the education of other countries. Obama definitely has a good idea, but we are already so far behind. To just switch it up now would be an extreme amount of work. Almost everything would have to change. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's fairly unrealistic with everything else on his plate. I also agree with the people that said kids don't care enough about their education, which would make longer school hours a bad idea. My first class starts at 7:30 and my last class ends at 2:25, which is not a very long time at all, and i know students that skip the whole day doing something else that they think is a little bit more meaningful than actually learning. If we were going to make a change with schools and the way we teach we should of done it awhile ago preventing possible future problems, instead of waiting for problems to occur to realize what we have isn't quite working out. Now we're stuck just like we are in a million other things. Basically, other than America not being a dictatorship, we suck. I know that kids my age don't have morals or values. We're out of control and extremely careless. Technology doesn't help either. All kids do in America is sit on their phones all day, and lets face it, if you're in a legit conversation with someone over text, there's no coming back to the real world. We all have no lives. We're lazy and expect everything to be alright. Which I don't know where that idea comes from, but everyone I know thinks life's going to be one big party. I feel bad for them.

lol
09-29-2009, 10:00 PM
What is this block sheduling? My school is like the school in Japan, the teachers switch classes, we don't. We get to keep the classroom. :\

jimmythekid1
09-29-2009, 10:17 PM
What is this block sheduling? My school is like the school in Japan, the teachers switch classes, we don't. We get to keep the classroom. :\

in stead of 7 hour long classes every day you only have 3-4 subjects a day with longer time with each subject.

lol
09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Ahh... my school used to be sorta kinda block sheduling (sp)

mycrors4
09-29-2009, 10:31 PM
i kinda use a block schedule like this
monday

tuesday

wed

thurs

clubs

fri

go home at 2:00 instead of 3:00

thats every week for me, never changes

Sweed
09-29-2009, 11:18 PM
I heard about it. Personally, I don't think that extending the school days/ hours is going to help. The problem is that our schools don't push students hard enough, and eventually, it boils down the the students themselves.

Well said. I had few teachers in school that wanted to push us or even teach. Half the others only needed the money (and showed up and half assed it). I think that letting the smarter kids attend less days a week would improve thier performance, becuase then it feels less like a prison.

monsterhunter
09-29-2009, 11:19 PM
My school runs off block scheduling A days and B days
so it goes
A day:
1:english
2:history
3:lunch/elective
4:auto
5 :auto
Bday:
6:gym
7:math
8:lunch/elective
9:auto
10:auto
classes are 80 minutes a piece, except lunch and elective which ares split in half, which isnt that bad. I see that if works out alittle better then regular(what i had in middle school) you have more time to learn and less cramming, even tho you have class every other day.

The devils playground
09-30-2009, 12:07 AM
i wish we had a auto i took it last year but they laid off the auto teacher so now we dont have it so i have to take woods. :(

Blade.
09-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Get used to it. Get an education honestly, it's the best thing you CAN do. If I could I would go back to school, it was so much easier, now I have to wake up go to work, go home. I get a 2 day weekend, yet I hardly get a ****ed weekend, because I am so tired from the week of work. Yet I survive, you can't go thinking that "Oh, my day is so hard. I get up at 8am, go to school for 6-7hours, go home at 2-3pm, then I sit on my butt all day staring at a T.V. doing nothing. Just losing more brain-cells." You get what? 3 months in the summer off? Just look at it like this. Enjoy the time you get in school, don't care about how many ****ed hours you go to school for. You earn your education by paying attention. Cause' once you get out here in the real world, your going to want to go back to School. The little pitiful 6-7hour days become 8-12hour days maybe more. No summer Vacation. No Spring Break. No Christmas Vacation. No Vacation anymore. At my work place, I get 3 weeks paid Vacation, but I have to post it on the Vacation Board at work, notify my boss, and then tell him what I will be doing. I've already booked my 3 weeks for my wedding and honeymoon.

Just get over yourself. You can disagree all you want, it's your choice to go to school. Drop out, and work at McDonalds your whole life. Stay in school, get an education, head to College maybe University and then get a really good job, paying somewhere between $25.00-$50.00(starting Canada) after you finish your schooling.

Don't be stupid. No reason to even bother with *****ing about school. Your getting something that YOU NEED in life, and look. If you are 14 years old, you still 4-5 years of mooching off your parents!

Just stay in school. It's what you need in life.

Blade.

Skv012a
09-30-2009, 12:53 AM
However, in American, many students don't really care that much about their education, while a few value it and take advantage of it.

Bottom line is- if you want kids to get better education, then encourage the parents to bring up their children with better morals and outlook on school and life. Will that ever happen on a large enough scale in states? Highly doubt it.

lol
09-30-2009, 12:58 AM
our school doesn't have electives, its fully about school, all the important subjects.

Geometry- 1hour 30 min
Earth Science-45min
History-45
English-45
Mandarin-45
Lunch-20 ( no playing)
Literature-45
P.E. -45

Fridays

Earth Science-45

History -45

Geometry - 1hr 30

English Lit combo -1hr 30

winner
09-30-2009, 07:26 AM
i was think last night and i think i have an idea, what if they start after school help? where like alot of the teacher get together and teack different subjects and reveiw, reteach, etc... but this way the kids that want to learn can without the idiots making farts noises and dealing with oversized classes. just my 2 cents

lol
09-30-2009, 09:44 AM
i get free tutoring. My school is one of the best in CA. We have API of 956 or something

merc3des
09-30-2009, 05:22 PM
I think the best thing is to increase discipline, and perhaps increase the difficulty of courses. In my school, we have around 4-5 hours of homework a night, and rank of the best schools in the United States. The attitude that you take on school work reflects in your grades. And if your school lacks disciplinary action, you lack discipline. I went to public school up to grade 8, and its incredible how much different it is. Kids would listen to their iPods in school, wear hats, and curse off bus drivers. Not saying that I didn't, but its just terrible for making kids good students. In my opinion as a student, the difference in my schooling from public, to private, is discipline. A significant amount of students go to ivy league schools, and average about 40 kids a class to Notre Dame. We also happen to have the most competitive lacrosse and football teams in the United States. Its discipline. And my tuition is only about 2,400 dollars a year

imnotmikal
09-30-2009, 05:28 PM
i was think last night and i think i have an idea, what if they start after school help? where like alot of the teacher get together and teack different subjects and reveiw, reteach, etc... but this way the kids that want to learn can without the idiots making farts noises and dealing with oversized classes. just my 2 cents

From what I'm understanding, is that you just suggested making school "optional" so only the kids that "want" to be there go? Yes? No?

winner
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
From what I'm understanding, is that you just suggested making school "optional" so only the kids that "want" to be there go? Yes? No?

no, im saying like you have your average school day then for the kids that want a good future can come on days that they want to and stay after school for 1-2 hours in a class of 4-5 students depending on who comes