PDA

View Full Version : body shortening

09A03
03-28-2005, 02:43 PM
My cousin was throwing an old Imapla Model away. It was one of those ones that has the hydrolics. I tookthe body and motor off his hands and now I need to find a step-by-step body shrotening tutorial. I can't find one on this site, or maybe I just overlooked it.

viperdout
03-28-2005, 03:31 PM
I haven't seen one yet. PM Torredo here and he might be able to help you.

mpevine11
05-04-2005, 04:43 PM
arent those big tho????? you need to alot of shortening both ways :nodno:

gearhead
05-05-2005, 07:59 PM
-cut
-paste
-renforce
-sand
-paint

It isn't that hard of a proces But geting everything neat and clean and alined can be a pain in the butt. I sugest that is you can't figure out the proces that u shouldn't even atempt it (not trying to put u down). But there will be some long nights ad hadaches if you don't have the right equipment.

sullivan
07-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Shortening the body is harder than lengthening the car you can use some sheet aluminum, plastic or carbon and make a pair of plates that bolts between the chassis and the rear lower deck. If you have AWD you need to make a better plate so thet it doesnt change the rear driveshaft angle. The first plae bolts on top of the chassis basicly only to create a mounting tab for the second plate to mount under and the deck mounts on top of that at the same level it waas on the chassis. Its hard to explane why 2 plates make everything level so heres some crude diagrams.

___Chassis___----[___]--- <--Stock

___Chassis___ ----__ ----[___]---u <--Extra plates

___Chassis___--------[___]---u <--Assembled

Then make a new upper deck.

Anyone who makes driveshafts will be able to make a driveshaft the right length for you, or you can make your own out of an 3mm. rodstock like brass, aluminum, stainless, carbon, plastic, or ink tubes out of pens.

To get a little more width out of your car first make sure you have wide track bearings or proper shims between the wheel and bearing to take up the slack then some of the Xmod wheels can be installed upsidown to make deep dish wheels or you can use Mini-Z wheels with the adapters from Microracers Xmod section "http://www.microracers24.com/index.html?target=p_415.html&lang=en-us". You can also make adapters by using the skyline wheels and cutting off the rim and all of the spokes exept for 2 oposing each other like this =O= and gluing it into the bearing hole on the back of the Mini-Z wheel. <-- I havnt tried this yet.