View Full Version : R. Takahashi FC3S

07-25-2009, 07:00 AM
The leader of Project.D bit the bullet and got some Volk RE30's for his famous touge machine.





The rear tires do rub a little bit, so I'm waiting on some thinner rear axle bearings to arrive, which will reduce the rear width 0.5mm per side. Till then, the FC looks good on the shelf. :)

This car is officially a "mini-class" racer (90mm wheelbase or shorter) but since I'm not a frequent racer I've got the tires taped up for a third attempt at creating a consistent 1/28 RWD drift car.

The "tires" are 3M Scotch up front (2 layers) and vinyl electrical tape in back (3 layers). The electrical tape will be receiving multiple coats of WD40 to soften up the material for more grip. Grooving with an Xacto knife has shown to help, but then I have the problem of the individual rings of tape slipping off the next time I apply WD40. So I'll avoid grooving this time around, and just sand and WD40 to adjust traction.

I've been adjusting the differential tension nut by increments of less than 2 degrees, but although a loose diff keeps the car more manageable most of the time, a locked diff is still more consistent -- and above all else a RWD drifter will need consistency. So I will probably need to delve into my transmitter adjustments to really get this thing to work.

Stay tuned!

07-25-2009, 08:07 AM
red looks better :D jk or am i


07-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Nah, white's better and I've got more stickers. :D

07-28-2009, 12:32 AM
yea youve got 500 horses more than i do lol

07-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Holy crap he's back.
*bows down*

How's everything going?

07-28-2009, 12:52 AM

how about now? :D

07-31-2009, 05:29 AM
I don't have an antenna announcing my location to the world. :lol:

Text update-- I may have figured out how to do 1/28 RWD drifting properly.

The key I found tonight was to adjust the Throttle Speed setting on the radio. Basically, reducing the throttle "spiking" that results from blipping the throttle. The EX-1 UR has very quick response, so blipping the throttle makes the car really unstable. But with Throttle Speed turned down to 20% of max speed, blipping the throttle is much more like blipping the throttle in a real car. So I can actually control this thing reasonably well now, despite the rear tires rubbing and whatnot.

Few issues I need to resolve: 1) the ceramic balls make this diff TOO free, I can't make the diff action any stiffer without damaging my diff plates, lol. I will need to find some Vaseline to grease it up and make it stickier. Locked diff is very effective at combating mid-corner spinouts, thus the grease.

2) Bearings still have not arrived yet, so I'm still rubbing tires and generally the car catches on the carpet a lot.

3) Had to use the hard T-plate to keep the tires from rubbing the body too much, but hard T-plate means very low rear grip! As soon as I resolve the rubbing issue I will switch to the soft T-plate, and possibly add an oil damper to keep the rear end from sagging too much.

4) Front grip is still too much, so I have busted out my favorite lubricant: Kyosho fluorine kingpin oil. It's drying on the front tires now, I'll test it out over the weekend.

So yeah, between the mechanical tweaks and radio tweaks I think I'm pretty close to success. My rear tires are working pretty well (may need to treat with WD40 again for grip on tile surfaces) and after figuring out the Throttle Speed trick, I can consistently hold short slides on the crappy carpet in my room. So taking the car out to the tile floor should be a straightforward process. If I succeed there'll be videos for sure!

08-06-2009, 12:37 AM
GL with that. i remember back when i had a freakin' cheap newbright POS trying to do what you do. Keep at it, cuz you're one of the best 2wd rc drifters i know, and i'd like to see more of your amazing work.

08-27-2009, 03:22 AM

And in the end, I had to resort to GPM 55 slicks. :rolleyes: I spent several hours at Inside Line Racing today trying to tune this thing to work on the RCP, but it just refused to cooperate... and then I came back home and swapped in the tried-and-true GPM 55's. For the next 5 minutes this car felt absolutely perfect, I completely forgot I was driving a RWD and could even focus on my cornering line, meanwhile the car was sliding sideways at AWD-like angles, at full countersteer, and skittering and jumping over the ruts in my tile floor like nothing happened. :eek:

Of course the magic wears off at midnight, and so I was left with a still great but no longer godly RWD drift car on the floor. Once I find out what makes it tick, this car will finally meet the original goals (consistent RWD drifting) and I can have my fun surprising the Mini-Z drifters in NorCal when I flip the FC3S upside-down... :cool:

Lessons learned today -- GPM 55's are the best product GPM has ever made. I should have some practice video for y'all soon. :) Meanwhile, a list of car and radio settings:


90mm wheelbase MR-015
Tires: F: 3M Scotch tape / R: GPM 55deg slick
PN Racing 90mm Mid Mount rear pod
Motor: PN Stock 70t, gearing 11/52
Disk damper: PN Gold springs (Extra hard), 200wt oil
Ball diff: PN ceramic ball diff, loose (slips a bit on-power)
Front spring: Atomic RCP: Green (Extra hard)
Front camber: 0
Front toe: 1deg in
Bearings: Reflex (the front bearings have to be GOOD to avoid spinning out)


KO Propo EX-1 UR
Module: KO Propo RF-901SM ASF for Mini-Z
Steering Travel: 55
Steering EPA's: L 96 / R 94
Steering Punch: 0
Steering Curve/Expo: +40%
Steering Quick-Response: +20%
Steering Speed: 100%
Throttle EPA's: F 100 / R 70
Throttle Punch: 0
Throttle Curve: 0
Throttle Quick-Reponse: 0
Throttle Speed: F 15% / R 100%

And that's it, the current recipe for 1/28 RWD drift. :)

08-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Awesome! Can't wait for the video. ;)

08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
i'd enjoy seening you doing rwd drifting:nod: