PDA

View Full Version : nimh battery question

supraracer
07-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I was just wondering if you can take a stick pack(nimh) desolder it and make it into a saddle pack, the reason i ask is im going to the track tomorrow and having problems with the mini-t so i am gonna take the tek 18 but i dont have a saddle pack and the hobby store is out of single cells. so i was just wondering if this is a possibility.

Donziikid
07-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Yupp. I've seen it done before although it's really not suggested. Nothing will happen to you cells if done properly, but you always run the risk of overheating them or ruining the cells otherwise.

Four steps to make sure you follow:
1.) Have a clean soldering tip with at least 40Watts and a chisel tip if possible, makes it a ton easier.
2.) Scuff up the battery surface with course sandpaper for solder to stick to. The left over solder from the battery bars may become either weak, brittle or unable to stick to the new solder. Try to get as much off as possible when desoldering them and then scuff up the surface.
3.) Don't keep your iron on for more than 7-10 seconds. More than that you'll probably cause damage to your cells.
4.) Tin the battery bars, iron, and battery surface before you join them together. Makes the contact much easier.