PDA

View Full Version : demolition derby

firebird999
06-05-2009, 01:58 AM
the idea of an rc demolition derby is just like a real one. you buy the cheapest car you can, and wreck them. last surviving car wins. but for rc, you need to build a balsa wood body so it can break.
please answer the poll, i need some input.

KITT222
06-05-2009, 02:00 AM
What poll? I would REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy this. What scale would it be? Would it be like the $20.00 Nikko cars you find at Toys R Us?

supraboi97
06-05-2009, 02:01 AM
My friend and I found those only break when a car drives over them.

firebird999
06-05-2009, 02:03 AM
man, people are fast around here. i wasn't finished with the poll.

anyway, it can be a zip-zap to a tamiya, anything goes because there are no safety precautions. you can even mount a steak knife to your car.

and just in case you're wondering, i am wanting to host one of these or more in my area, and just want to see if there would be any interest.

EDIT: @supraboi- you also have to factor in battery life. plus, the electronics are on top of the chassis in toys. so without a sturdy body, all it takes is one strong hit from a higher-up car.

EDIT: here's some other weopons that will play in the destruction of cars:
1) modifications. you can wrap it in barbed wire, rig it to shoot flames, stick a katana to it, anything that will only harm the cars and not personal property or people will go, it's a free-for-all.
2) water balloons. there will be water balloons scattered around. hit one and you'll short out.
3) the storm drain. every cul-de-sac or parking lot (ample spots to do this) has a storm drain somewhere along the curb. you fall in and it's game over.

KITT222
06-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Maybe some classes, such as 1/18 Nikkos, Zip-Zaps, etc..

But the weapons, maybe best to stay from swords and flamethrowers with the cops around. Besides, to me the definition of "demolishon derby" is no weapons, and just car vs car, rear bumper vs side, etc, etc..

firebird999
06-05-2009, 02:29 AM
zip-zap on zip-zap could take days. zip-zap on tmaxx could take seconds. so no classes, it'd be too complicated. and maybe there will be no weopons, i guess it is better that way. but what do you say to different races? such as a figure 8 race, a trailer race, a backwards race, and then the demo derby to finish it off.

supraboi97
06-05-2009, 02:51 AM
Well the derby would never end if you use those toys r us nikko cars. We literally torture tested those and they lasted forever. But depending on the scale just a bumper to bumper dderby could last quite a while.

KITT222
06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
zip-zap on zip-zap could take days. zip-zap on tmaxx could take seconds. so no classes, it'd be too complicated. and maybe there will be no weopons, i guess it is better that way. but what do you say to different races? such as a figure 8 race, a trailer race, a backwards race, and then the demo derby to finish it off.

That sounds pretty fun! The classes things is underdstandable. But why would there be high-budget cars like a T-Maxx in there when it could risk being destroyed? I think you should allow only cheaper R/Cs in. But a way to shorten the bumber on bumper thing would be to have 2 switches that can turn the car off located on the front and back of the chassis, so if you do have those apparently indestructible Toys R Us Nikko cars, if your switch gets hit, your car is kaput!

firebird999
06-05-2009, 11:30 AM
there won't be, i was just trying to think of something tough at 3:00 AM.
and maybe i'll make it required that you mount all the electronics where the engine should be according to your body style and raising them an inch or two up, so they can be knocked clean off. the motor can't be relocated. i know it can, but i'm sure this will mostly attract unexperienced kids.
and maybe we could put little guys in the cars, and if they can't "drive" anymore, the "frame" is "bent" and the car is "totalled".

KITT222
06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Ah. Sounds pretty good. If I can access some balsa wood, and a new Nikko chassis I think I'd try it out.

Action B
06-05-2009, 05:45 PM
So, wait... This is involving xmods or no?

winner
06-05-2009, 06:31 PM
i think its a great idea! lol jus some advice, get one of thoose dub city cars, lol i got one at wall-mart for like $15 and i ran it into the pool like 20 times in one day.

also: i would make the body out of sumthing with less strenth like legos or pop sicle sticks

BART
06-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Dig up some old videos of robot wars, or whatever that show was called, that should get the ideas flowing.

winner
06-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Dig up some old videos of robot wars, or whatever that show was called, that should get the ideas flowing.

off topic: was'nt that show battle bots?

firebird999
06-09-2009, 02:19 AM
there were two. robot wars and batle bots. man, i miss those. and junkyard wars. great shows.
and also to eliminate strength i put a limit to 4mm thich. should be weak enough, lol.