PDA

View Full Version : The Whistler Summer Race Series...

cowboysir03
05-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Good Afternoon!

Well, I've finally gotten some interest in our club of micro racers here in Whistler so I've decided to start the Summer Race series. Hopefully we'll get enough interest to set up every other sunday to get some guys racing mini-z's (and xmods as well if anyone brings em). There are seven or eight guys here in town and I know a couple guys in Vancouver who could come up occasionally.

Here is tomorrow's layout...six wide ovals (note the xmod logo:D ) minus four tiles linked together.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/summerraceseries002.jpg

The warm temperatures (mid seventies for you Americans) will allow for the use of harder tires...got a big bag the other days from a friend in T.O. that'll cover all racers for a good couple events.

Thanks for looking.;)

Skv012a
05-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Huge track man and you actually have that much RCP. Very nice. Good luck to all racers.

dontspamme
05-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I know where you live ! Be scared !

How much guys do you have interested ? And might as well give me their age range, I won't mind heading up there but I would hate to be there with guys that are 5 + years older then me. And I'll need a ride.

theoriganalRiD3R1967
05-23-2009, 09:05 PM
sick track, hey were you standing in the bed of a truck when you took that picture?

cowboysir03
05-23-2009, 09:07 PM
We're all in our thirties but as long as you're of age I don't care. A teenager hanging out with a bunch of old farts isn't the weirdest thing on the planet but if you feel uncmfortable....

anyhow, if you're keen I'll see if I can get you connected to a possible ride...another guy from Van has shown some interest in coming up (he'll be here tomorrow) so I'll talk to him about it.:bigwink:

sick track, hey were you standing in the bed of a truck when you took that picture?

yep...standing on the back bed rails near the cab of my 2008 Silverado.

dontspamme
05-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, that can be a little odd. But I'll come along when schools out, starting to study for the finals can be tough, and I have no chassis to race. I'll send you a PM before I head up, so you can arrange me a ride.

Skv012a
05-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Well, that can be a little odd. But I'll come along when schools out, starting to study for the finals can be tough, and I have no chassis to race. I'll send you a PM before I head up, so you can arrange me a ride.

Let me tell you dude, in situation like this your best bet is to learn all you can from our fellow old farts ;)

Guys I race are actually very spread out as far as age range goes, but their racing experience makes me feel green lol.

supraracer
05-30-2009, 11:16 PM
God i wish i was in your area, that'd be a sweet track to run on. That would actually make me want to get back into mini-z

cowboysir03
05-31-2009, 03:38 AM
I'll hopefully be trying a new layout tomorrow...

I've detuned most of my "sort of stock" Z's so other people can use them so I'll probably get a good turn out tomorrow.:nod:

color0
05-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Age should never be a factor when it comes to Mini-Z. :) Jacob Feinstein, World Champion, is still a high schooler. Your reflexes are better when you're young; just pick up experience quickly and you'll be faster than the older guys before you know it. ;)

cowboysir03
05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
New layout...all but four tiles again.:lol:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/summerraceseries015.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/summerraceseries014.jpg

With most of my cars switched to stock armatures this should be a fun layout for working on corner entry/exit...

supraracer
05-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Thats it im comin up to race lol, 3,000 or so miles, but that is a nice setup. You got more $$ in the track then i do in rc i think.

Neither of you have the required post count for buying, selling or trading; please no fishing.

FloydfanYodaman
05-31-2009, 11:25 PM
sooo wish i was your neighbor...esp since i'm another 30 something ol' fart

cowboysir03
05-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Well, since I was the only one to show up I got to do some setup testing on a bunch of my cars and couldn't get mad at anyone (but myself) for breaking stuff.:lol:

Surprisingly enough, I found very few things wrong with my cars after being detunes to stock armatures...

1. My MR015 needs some sort of cooling for the stock motor which will involve swapping the can and modding the stock RM mount for airflow. After all said and done it was the second fastest car on the test data. With the combination of a aggressive F430 body, wider front tarck (EMU rules!) and soft rear setup it turned on rails and didn't traction roll ever.

2. My fastest stock class car is still my FXX...that body is wicked darty front but super stable on the straights.

3. I figured out how I like to run the ball diffs on all cars that were swapping ends on the throttle...just the right amount of grip/slip to snap the rear end if I was late cornering.

Enough of my rambling...stay tuned for the next episode.:lol:

cowboysir03
06-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Made the same layout for todays racing and happily three people showed up!

Fastest stock time was an 11.27 and mod time was a 10.15sec...a good time was had by all.:lol:

Donziikid
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
What timing system do you currently use, Cowboy?

cowboysir03
06-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I use the CORE timing system and I finally found a way to keep everything running smoothly. It's a very easy program to maintain but my laptop was having overheating/shutdown problems during the days events. I needed to prop the computer a bit to allow air flow underneath and it now works like a charm.

All of my bodies that i use/loan/race with have velcro taped into the inside and so i attach one of my 12 transponders and program the users name...set up a practice or qualifying session, run a few heats and it then can set a race grid for me from results...easy as that.:bigwink:

One of the best purchases I've made because it can show novices how they are improving over time and it lets RC racers (like my buddy John) keep his bragging rights of TQ and fast lap on a web page.

stang_racer
06-09-2009, 12:02 AM
well im in kelowna might have to throw a car together and come down this summer sometime! and also are you the same cowboysir that built the brushless gto? if so id LOVE to see that monster in person

meme405
06-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Id be willing to come up after provincials and the whole shibang.

I would be coming up for the drive mostly though, cause i only have one running Mini-Z (my AWD), and its bone stock.

cowboysir03
06-09-2009, 01:01 AM
well im in kelowna might have to throw a car together and come down this summer sometime! and also are you the same cowboysir that built the brushless gto? if so id LOVE to see that monster in person

Yes that's me but that car is pretty much long gone...I don't have any sentimental value in keeping stuff like that so i usually scrounge parts from one to use in the next one.

Id be willing to come up after provincials and the whole shibang.

I would be coming up for the drive mostly though, cause i only have one running Mini-Z (my AWD), and its bone stock.

Like I've mentioned, the track works best for guys running stock car electronics. You both are more than welcome...if the weather looks like it's going to be sunny on a sunday you have free to travel then be sure to PM me to let me know. I'll be sure to preprogram a transponder with names so you can view your stats.

cowboysir03
06-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Well, I got a good couple scores in the mail this week to add to the Whistler Micro-RC clubs collection of gear. (it's mostly my gear but I let my buddies try stuff and sell it to them if they like it:lol: )

I bought a collection of 8 motors from a guy at MZR ranging from 2 stock through mild mod (PNWC 70turn, a couple Xspeed verions and PN speedy07) to full out mod (PNS02 and Anima II). All broken in and very well maintained for $60.

I also scored a smoking deal for some tires and parts from a buddy of mine at GSR. pinoyboy sold me a large quantity of rear tires, a chassis for an MR02, some inch up delrin rims and a WTF tower bar.

Finally I'm going to be receiving an updated version of GSR's MRCG...teh 1.1 version improves a bunch of different aspects to make it very fast in the corners. I'll hopefully be using this to great effect during our 70turn open pan car catagory....

This weekend will be another event with more visitors...:bigwink:

Gearhead14
06-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Could you plz put up a vid of you guys racing on it ive never seen a hole club race b4.

cowboysir03
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
our club races aren't anyhting to watch on video....there's one guy who's good (not me:lol: ) and the rest are just trying to stay facing the right direction.

It'd be boring to watch, that's for sure.

Race day today and we'll be starting with the same setup to get good track time before running qualifyers and heats.

Hope I've got focus today.:bigwink:

texan_idiot25
06-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Is this at your home? The house in the back ground is awesome.. And I see that infamous SiR!

cowboysir03
06-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately that's not the place I own tex....I am currently on a type of waiting list for a three bed/three bath duplex unit once the Olympics are over. The place you see is a rental and we are in the suite behind the house. It's a nice enough place and it's super quiet.

Todays racing had some good lapping at a decent pace. The sun made the track really hot and we ran 40's all round to great grip levels.

My buddy john scored fast lap and top qualifier every single event. Since he has numerous years of 1/10th racing experience it's really hard to stay as consistent as him.

I could stay within four or five laps of him in stock setup...not bad for a tosser like me.:lol:

cowboysir03
06-26-2009, 09:04 PM
this weekend's race series will be adding a bit of xmod flavour to it...I installed gen1 stage1 motor armatures into all of the bearing cans for my stock(ish) MR02's. It should make them controllable for the novices in our group.:lol:

Oddly enough, you do get decent speed from gen1 armatures on cars with 3010 fets or better...just enough speed to make it exciting while avoiding punching the car into foam barriers at every corner.

cowboysir03
06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
and cowboy starts to get the hang of the layout!:lol:

Today's match had four guys racing mod and stock cars all together on the same track. The track isn't big enough to really get the mod cars rolling super fast but they are about a second faster per lap.

John (1/10th racer buddy) got himself an equipped roller from my online friend pinoyboy and I installed a 3x2 4562 fet board for him. That car posted a 9.55 today.:eyecraz:

My best of the day was 10.80seconds...my best to date and with an AD band (2x2 3010) and gen1 xmod motor.:nod: That's what I'm talking about.:bigwink:

Stampedekid
06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Nice track there! I don't race Z's also because I don't own any but if I lived in B.C. I'd bring up my Micro DT Brushless and let it rip on that track :p. If it flies over at Willis hobbies(1/10 track)....yeah...:lol:

merc3des
06-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Sick track! It's huge, it'll be loads of fun. I went snowboarding in Whistler 2 years ago, it was sweet, how near are you to the mountain?

cowboysir03
06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm about two minutes from Whistler Creekside base...I work there at the base of the creek in the wintertime so if you happened through we may have crossed paths!:lol:

Plans are in place to expand the track!

My buddies have agreed to buy some gear from me (John bought a board and car parts and Kirby is buying a whole ASF setup) so I'll be reinvesting that money into an expansion pack and an inside turn kit.

Three wide tile sections should make driving much easier in a crowd.:nod:

cowboysir03
07-03-2009, 07:44 PM
after a little back and forth between myself and tinyrc.com, plans are now in place to purchase the 50 wide tile kit and inside radius turn kit. Because I'm in Canada I needed to get a shipping quote first from RCPTracks and then order....

This means two thirds of the track will be three tiles wide and i can make four inside radius turns!

I see breaking the 9 second barrier is in our future.:lol:

Imagine this track with all the outer sections three tiles wide and all the weird looking turns (with the inside rounds) modified to sweep neatly.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/summerraceseries015.jpg

It's going to be sick!:nod:

cowboysir03
07-17-2009, 10:24 PM
My boxes came in yesterday...

Stay tuned for photos this weekend.:bigwink:

cowboysir03
08-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I missed taking photos last time round so....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/summerraceseries.jpg

Looks like fun, yes?

Donziikid
08-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Fun but challenging, yes. :nod:

How long did it take to assemble and disassemble? Looking out my window now and it's raining.. certainly wouldn't want to look out your window and see it raining on that expensive RCP.. *yikes*

cowboysir03
08-04-2009, 09:21 AM
assembly takes about two hours but tear down is quick because there's a few of us doing it. I usually put it together by myself...

New stock lap record: 9.48seconds.

Three sessions in a row near the end the three top racers stayed on the same lap and had near identical fast lap times.

racing now is who makes the mistake to fall behind.:nod:

winner
08-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I missed taking photos last time round so....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/summerraceseries.jpg

Looks like fun, yes?

is that a laser sailboat sitting back there next to your front door??

Jerkwitz
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
jeeze there is no one like this down here in indiana. we have to make our own tracks out of wood and pvc

stang_racer
08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
hahaha i can only imagine the fun 2 corners after the start/finish line! bottle necks are awesome fun in racing!

cowboysir03
08-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I actually made one minor change to that section of track and now turn two leads onto a three wide tile section...it basically makes that turn two/three section into a blip chicane. Our top racer can full throttle from turn six through to turn ten.

New fast lap for "stock MR02"(3010fet/mostly stock parts and Xspeed motor) is a 8.91sec....that was on a 48lap heat in 8.06min (6 laps more than previous lap total)

As for the boat in the background that belongs to my neighbor Joan and I couldn't tell you what it is.:lol:

winner
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
As for the boat in the background that belongs to my neighbor Joan and I couldn't tell you what it is.:lol:

lol aww, i was just asking cause if it was a laser, we have three of them and me and my dad travel all over the place racing them :)

lol sry to get off topic, looks like alot of fun! and those lap times seem really fast :hail:

cowboysir03
08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Well, we moved onto "mod" class MR02's last week and the times/laps were crushed!

The three fastest racers (John, Kirby and myself) all broke the 8.5 second barrier and one driver almost cracked the 50 lap barrier!:o

Anyhow, I think we're close to being video worthy...stay tuned.:bigwink:

Donziikid
08-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Can't wait for that video! Sure sounds like one heck of a time!

Cheers,
Kyle.

xmodcanuck
07-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I know this is an old thread and I'm not the originator of the thread but I think an update is appropriate. The pics aren't that great I think because we were in an underground parking lot - there was a high chance of rain so the track was set up here instead of cowboy's driveway.
I have been in contact with some local mini-z racers and we made arrangements with cowboy to make the 1.5 hour trek up to whistler to do some racing. A good time was had by all and I think the lap record was just under 9 sec. I personally have only raced 3 or 4 times on a track and was quite happy with my consistent 3rd/4th place finishes.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday001.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday002.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday003.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday004.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday005.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday006.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday007.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday008.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/xmodcanuck/Race%20Days/raceday009.jpg

cowboysir03
07-07-2010, 02:11 AM
The fat guy in the red hat is me.:lol:

Seriously though, we had a good time and xmodcanuck was very consistent....if it hadnt been for a variety of powerbands (i know my car was beyond stock) we mightve been a lot closer and as it was there really was only a couple laps difference at the end of heats.

I'll be looking forward to getting some runtime with my new car (MR03) and be ready for our next GTG wherever it may be.:bigwink: