PDA

View Full Version : A new motor might be coming sooner than I thought.

ling427ttvette
05-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I was out bashing just a little bit ago taking some video and what not.. and as I was going I ran something over. I drove the R/C over to it and then I examined what it was.. it was a battery hold down out of a 1:1 car. Odd thing to hit, so I threw it off to the side and went to go.. nothing.

The ESC is putting out a little over 9v in forward and reverse, and I tried to re-program it with no results. The motor occasionally makes a little noise for a split second, but does nothing.

What do you guys think happened?

Pretty sure I've also decided on the Velineon system from Traxxas.. thought about the Mamba 5700 system but I'm really not sure yet. Have to change the gearing and monitor motor temps closely to make sure everything is good. The Velineon system drops in with the stock gearing and you don't have to worry about it.

Donziikid
05-03-2009, 09:20 PM
You should always monitor your temperature and gearing, no matter what ESC and motor combination you go with. Any harmful temperatures will destroy your electronics within an instant and they typically are not savable at this level of destruction. I think with either system you go with, you should always monitor your temperature, gearing and driving habits, even if it comes stock with the RC. A lot of people swear by both systems, so I don't think you'll have any worries with either. ;)

Is this motor the stock Titan 12T 550?

Cheers,
Kyle.

ling427ttvette
05-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it's the stock Titan motor. Just took it out of the transmission and tried to free spin it and it still has nothing.

I probably should monitor my temps, been thinking about investing in a temp gun to monitor things.

Anyone here have the Mamba 5700 system in one of these? What gears do you run?

I've been doing a ton of reading on the Traxxas forums as well, going to go read around some more and see what guys are running. The mamba system is only about $40 more than the Velineon.

How much fun would either of these be with 8.4v NiMH batteries? I plan to go Li-Po eventually.. but that won't be for a while as that requires another charger and is not cheap.

Edit: Just found out, the guy didn't put the stock gearing back in. Stock is 18/86 if I remember right. This has 23/86. That means the motor had a bit more of a load on it if I'm thinking properly, is it possible that it was fried from the gearing?

Donziikid
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Then the motor is probably toast, not your ESC. Titan 550's are notorious for just crapping out for no apperant reason. Since it's a sealed can most people don't tend to investigate. The major speculation is the brushes are just cheap and deteriorate, leading to bad connection and eventually failing. Sadly, I don't believe there is much you can do but buy another motor (I recommend a 17DT) or invest in another system (brushless).

Temperature guns are good. ;) Fancy, too.

Go with Mamba if you can afford the other $40. Unlike the Velenion (at least to my knowledge), the Mamba is programable for brake, throttle curves and many other features you may find useful some day.

8.4V (or 7-cell) is typically the first person step into brushless and typical some peoples last. I know people at the track who swear by their trusty, non-exploding NiMH 8.4V packs. They give you a great amount of punch over 7.2V as well as a longer run time. Plus they're less expensive than LiPo.

To your edit: yes, that is a possibility. By gearing to tall (high tooth pinion and lower tooth spur) you may have overheated the motor and caused it to fail. This could also lead to ESC problems, but I doubt it went that far in your case. As I said early, I just think the motor took a crap like the rest of the unreliable Titan 12Ts. Lol.

Cheers,
Kyle.

ling427ttvette
05-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I want the guys who know these better than me to check this over and make sure it's good before I get it:

Mamba 5700 system (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370195429761)

It says it comes with the USB cord, setup disk and what not.. that's all I should need for programming right?

Edit: That kind of ****es me off about the Titan being known to randomly crap out. It's my excuse to go brushless though so I guess I should be happy right? I'm just not too happy about the down time.

Donziikid
05-03-2009, 09:58 PM
That's all you need. Pretty nice that it's all in one auction.

The ESC has a built in USB plug on the side of it. The USB cord supplied in that auction has the plug for your computer and the plug for your ESC. All you'll need to do is install the software (found on the CD included) and see what you wanna do. The instructions will spell everything out for you (also included in the auction) and there are always the Castle Creation Techs who will be glad to help you. They're really great guys, I've used them numerous times. ;)

Oh, there are also firmware updates available through Castle Creations. Check out their site.

Cheers,
Kyle.

ling427ttvette
05-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Another one, it's used though.. thoughts? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Mamba-Max-5700-Mamba-Rustler-VXL_W0QQitemZ170327911372QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27a855abcc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)

Clicky. ^^

zippo855
05-03-2009, 11:41 PM
sounds like it would be a good deal, at 115 he includes a whole bunch of stuff. thats always a plus.

Donziikid
05-04-2009, 10:48 AM
My only problem is that it is used. Yeah, he may be including a lot of stuff, but I will always resort to buying used as a last resource if I can't find it anywhere else. I've always had the worst of luck buying used, especially things electronic and as sophisticated as a programmable ESC.

It's a good deal, yeah, but something always goes wrong when I buy used. Always your call since it is infact your money. ;)

Cheers,
Kyle.

ling427ttvette
05-04-2009, 07:11 PM
That's the same problem I'm having, is that it's used. I would much rather be able to buy it used from a person I know, in person.. so that way I could atleast see it run first or something.

I'll probably go with the first one posted.

amorton94
05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Yah Mamba's are good. And I know the worlds cheapest 7.4v 20c lipo :p. And a good charger and balancer set up would run you ar least $130ish. Good luck with the Mamba, sorry to hear about your crappy motor.

ling427ttvette
05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Got the Mamba ordered this morning. I got it from RC Superstore for $175 shipped and should be here in about two days as I told them to send it Fed Ex.. and the main hub that delivers the packages to my terminal is in Kansas City and they are in Olathe which is right next to them. I'm in Wichita now at the dentist.. went to Hobby Town USA and got some 16, 17 and 18t pinions along with another 86t spur for back-up. Also picked up a set of four claw dog tires for it there. Can't wait to get home and mount them up and now I wait for the real power.

ling427ttvette
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Think these will help me with traction?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0377.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0378.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0379.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0380.jpg

Need to trim the front of the body even more now. :lol: These things are very very wide for the wheels, might see how they handle and judge if I get different wheels or not.

Donziikid
05-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Now that's a lot of rubber! Should handle like a dream now!

ling427ttvette
05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm hoping this helps with the rolling over problem.. I should probably also slow down some. :lol:

According to Fed Ex's website, the Mamba will be here tomorrow.. which means I will have it first thing in the morning as it gets un-loaded from the trailer. WOOHOO!!

Donziikid
05-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm hoping this helps with the rolling over problem.. I should probably also slow down some. :lol:

Well, that can be double sided. Now you may not flip over from the thin tires and the weight just throwing you over the edge, but you may flip over from too much traction (aka the wonderful world of traction rolling). :lol: Either way, flips are always cool to see as long as they don't break anything.

Give us a video once your Mamba gets here!

Cheers,
Kyle.

ling427ttvette
05-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah, these tires do not provide enough traction to traction flip.

Went for it's first maiden voyage, the motor quickly showed me the worn outness of my old spur gear. Good thing I got another while I was at the hobby shop.

Put it in and went for another run. With probably half a charge on the battery, all it did was boil the rear tires on the brick road out front. In the dirt, you did NOT want to stand behind this thing.

I probably need to get better batteries to handle the power draw from this thing, my battery was very hot after the run. The motor did get warm too, I don't have a temp gun yet.. need to get one. It wasn't so hot I couldn't touch it, but it was warmer than it felt it should be.

Letting the battery cool, going to charge it back up and run it again later on. Still need to get more TRX connectors so I can run both batteries again..

ling427ttvette
05-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Went for my second run with a full battery, going at half throttle I can punch it and the truck will just kick sideways because it instantly spins the tires.

If I was on the stock Slash tires there is NO way it would handle the power, let alone stay wheels down. These new tires have helped the rolling quite a bit, but they just do not provide the traction I need. I wonder if I could wheelie if I had tires that gripped..

Anyone have recommendations for good on-road tires? I plan to get wheels with them as well so I will have a couple sets depending on what I decide to drive on.

zippo855
05-07-2009, 11:41 PM
sounds like this this is turning into a beast. definately get some videos, i know how the brushless acts in the propulse, i cant imagine what it does in that.

amorton94
05-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Well since you have brushless, I would recommend finding a good, cheap tire. You're going to go through a lot of them. Have fun. I am looking forward to getting a slash, but I think I'll end up getting the smaller 4wd one. But I'll end up getting both eventually. Look around hobby king, they have a bunch of good, cheap lipo's and chargers. Then you could get that thing going wicked fast. But hurry up and get those videos! I want to see this thing in action!

Stampedekid
05-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Vette, the only thing to be aware of with the Mamba Max 5700 is it will get hot very fast because of its higher KV Rating. I run a Sidewinder 5700 in mine and it gets pretty darn hot. What some use(on a forum that I go on) is the Mamba Max ESC and the VXL Motor. The VXL has a lower kv rating so it is slightly slower but it will run cooler and the Mamba Max ESC is more reliable than the VXL ESC.

fieldfairy2
05-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I would get a castle link or at least the program and tune it. It is so much easier. Tuning the throttle curve with help with the going through tires problem. Sounds like you are having fun with it. Keep on driving it.

Donziikid
05-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Anyone have recommendations for good on-road tires? I plan to get wheels with them as well so I will have a couple sets depending on what I decide to drive on.

I'd recommend a pair of Pro Line road series tires. There are the Speed Hawg 2.2" (http://www.prolineracing.com/p-292-speed-hawg-fits-22-truck-wheels.aspx), Road Hawg II 2.2" (http://www.prolineracing.com/p-283-road-hawg-ii-fits-22-truck-wheels.aspx), Road Rage 2.8" (http://www.prolineracing.com/p-489-road-rage-28-30-series.aspx) and Road Rage II 2.2" (http://www.prolineracing.com/p-284-road-rage-ii-fits-22-truck-wheels.aspx). The Road Rage 2.8" tires are the largest out of the set and run on 30-series rims; they'll also be the most expensive. A lot of guys around here swear by their Road Rage II's, but you have to remember these are all street tires, not off road tires. Off road tires aren't going to give you the wheely pounding grip you need, at least from my experience.

Cheers,
Kyle.

ling427ttvette
05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Definitely going to look into those 2.8's, working out a deal on some 2.8 wheels right now with some bald tires..

I did find a street where my current tires grip and oh my god I wish I had a camera.. sadly it didn't wheelie like I was hoping..

BUT, I'm used to my street where I can make a full speed blast, tap the brake and slide it around and go back the other way.. well I was on a new street the other day, went to try that and instead of flipping around.. I FLEW. This poor truck caught some serious air and went end over and for atleast 50 feet. It was absolutely glorious. :D

ling427ttvette
06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Bit of an update.. no pictures yet.

I did acquire some 2.8 wheels, 6 to be exact.. four matching but the rears were bald, and then I got a set of Road Rage 2.8's on a different set of wheels.. man they grip great when they warm up.

Also, I am no longer Mamba powered. I finally started running into heat issues, and it got bad enough it started to glitch horribly..

So I am now Velineon powered. This should be better, hopefully I can get full runs out of my batteries and not have a worry.

Not sure what to do with my Mamba, I have no other R/C to put it in.. and I've also got a nice fan/heatsink combo for it.. $210 worth of stuff going to sit there and not get used. :( But I don't think I want to sell it..

Donziikid
06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Keep it for if/when the Velenion poops out. I'm sure it won't, but a spare is always good. Plus, you may someday find a use for that Mamba. If and when you need to, sell it. ;)

Pictures are a must when you get the chance. Video would be nice, too.

Cheers,
Kyle.

ling427ttvette
06-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, I couldn't get video and the pictures were very quick.. need to charge the camera batteries.

But, I just took it out and ran a full battery at basically full throttle the whole time. Roughly 15 minutes. (Battery is still new, should go around 20-30 once I run it some.)

Motor temp was warm, not hot. ESC, if it had heat I couldn't feel it.. and the battery was cooler than the motor.

If I did that with my Mamba, everything would be WAY too hot to touch.

Granted, it's a major loss of power here.. but it is still plenty powerful and fun to drive. I think I will still enjoy it, I'm running the same 17/86 gearing as I was with the Mamba.. I do have a 23t pinion but not sure I want to risk it. I don't usually go for speed that much.

Anyways, now for the VXL hotness:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0449.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0450.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0451.jpg

Lots of body trimming. :D I have a full set of the front wheels, but the tires on them are absolutely trashed. What's fun to do with bald tires?

Don't really have any plans for it right now.. I think it is set. Just when something breaks, then I shall get RPM for it.

BTW, anyone need alum. front and rear control arms for a Slash, Rustler or Stampede? I got a set..

ling427ttvette
06-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Gah, freaking down time. Went out for my second run on the VXL, ran for 2 minutes and lightly smacked a curb on the R-F and broke the bearing carrier where the tie rod bolts in.

Doesn't help that I was practicing my DORIFTU skills. :lol: I hate waiting for replacement parts though. :(