PDA

View Full Version : Dual rear shocks? Yes plz.

ling427ttvette
04-25-2009, 01:14 AM
This is pretty crude, had an idea and threw it together.

I got the Traxxas big bore aluminum shocks.. the other ones I ordered wouldn't be here until June. Got the red springs that have a rate of 2.5 constant, unlike the white ones which were a progressive rate.

I filled the shocks with the oil they came with, and the rear sat WAY lower than it did before with the stock shocks.. I spaced the springs out with no luck. Then I got to looking and had a genius idea. Dual rear shocks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0359.jpg

It works like a charm, it's a little bouncy in the rear but it's not almost dragging the ground like it was before.

Co-worker suggested I should put 40 weight oil in the shocks and see what that does for me. I'm just glad to have this thing together and driveable again. :nod:

kendallcschm
04-25-2009, 06:09 AM
lol sweet dude :-D

Donziikid
04-25-2009, 10:49 AM
What is the weight of the stock shock oil? 100wt?

Awesome ingenuity. I've seen this done on smaller scale (1:18th) but never on a Traxxas Slash. Purty cool.

Cheers,
Kyle.

ling427ttvette
04-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Not sure. They came with bottles that just say silicone oil on them. Definitely wasn't too impressed with the new shock/spring setup though.. dual shocks was the only way to fix it because I had two of the big spacers on each shock in the rear and my read skid plate was about an inch from the ground at normal ride height. I didn't like that much, and they seemed to have no re-bound in the rear, unless you compressed the front and took weight off the back.

Need to figure out a way to mount them good and proper, but they aren't going anywhere with the way they are now.

Here's how the rear sits now and this is with the rear body mount raised up completely:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0360.jpg

Definitely happier. Oh, and as for the Velineon sticker.. anyone got a good system they want to sell me? It was BL before I bought it. :(