PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my Slash!

ling427ttvette
04-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Now I just need to get a proper charger..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0341-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ling427ttvette/IMG_0342-1.jpg
Accidentally did a burnout on the counter.. :lol:

Definitely liking it more than the Pro Pulse though..

Should have the good charger tomorrow, got to do some fixing on the plug ins, had to do some temporary work to get it to run for now.

God I can't wait. :lol:

supraboi97
04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Looks just like mine did but now I have added some stuff. But they are extremely fun even without the brushless. the onyx 200 charger is good thats the one I use.

texan_idiot25
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I do hate you now.

ling427ttvette
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Not sure what brand the one I will be getting is, but I was recommended it from the person that works in the hobby shop.. says it charges in about 15 minutes, going to pick up another battery too..

Once I get used to this thing I am going brushless. Guy I bought it from has a kit, it was brushless before I got it.. so later on I will be buying that from him.

Thing freaking rips though, in the dirt it was digging down and throwing serious rooster tails. I think my suspension is a bit soft though.. these things have oil filled shocks right? I wonder if they need more oil.. could probably space them out to get the springs a little stiffer but I have no spare parts yet to do it. Maybe just get some new shocks?

texan_idiot25
04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
They have oiled filled shocks. What doesn't now days in the large scales?

supraboi97
04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Ya there oil filled but instead of more oil it comes with some plastic spacers that snap on the shcoks to make them stiffer. I did that because I run mine on concrete and keeps the tires from rubbing the inside of the body when the springs are compressed.

theoriganalRiD3R1967
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
hello kitty? is that your tool box? jk
how much did you spend? i want a larger scale car but i'm afrad parts'll cost way to much...

ling427ttvette
04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
What's a good place to get parts for these from? Any known weak points?

Edit: Originalrider, I got it for $150 used from a co-worker. They can be had for around $200 new without batteries or charger, probably around $300 with everything.

And of course that's my toolbox. ;)

supraboi97
04-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I think that you can order parts straight from the traxxas website. Not sure though I always get mine from a hobby shop near my house. If not ebay is always a pretty good place. As for weak spots i'm not sure I have driven mine to the point I didn't think it would be drivable from the crash but nothing has broken yet.

ling427ttvette
04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
The hobby shop wouldn't be a bad idea, but the only hobby shop I know of around here is 80 miles away. Luckily I am there 5 days out of the week, but don't usually have time to spare to stop in and shop around.

Luckily I have a delivery for them tomorrow so I'll be picking up that new charger and some other things. I'm thinking I might look at shock spacers for now, and a way to adjust them on the control arms so they provide a little more strength. Just setting it down on it's own weight they compress a lot, and the rear sags horribly.. which is the look for these trucks but I hate it.

Sweed
04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Thing freaking rips though, in the dirt it was digging down and throwing serious rooster tails. I think my suspension is a bit soft though.. these things have oil filled shocks right? I wonder if they need more oil.. could probably space them out to get the springs a little stiffer but I have no spare parts yet to do it. Maybe just get some new shocks?

Traxxas are a bit soft from the factory.
A set of stiffer springs and heavier oil will run about $20.
Drop another $20 and get aluminum shock caps if it doesn't come with it.
I know our Stampede blew the (stock) shocks continueally on the jumps till we got proper caps.

Ya there oil filled but instead of more oil it comes with some plastic spacers that snap on the shcoks to make them stiffer. I did that because I run mine on concrete and keeps the tires from rubbing the inside of the body when the springs are compressed.

Adding pre-load?
Your loosing spring travel and are essentially raising the ride height.
Lift the truck up, pull all the suspension to max extenstion, set it down and push it down as far as it will go (front and back, till chassis smacks the ground or the suspension bottoms) and let go. When it rises again you'll have your ride height.

ling427ttvette
04-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I figured the suspension was supposed to be soft, but it's so soft that in a tight corner it will lower so much in the rear it raises a front tire. Sure does look bad-*** though.

I don't want to stiffen it extremely, but it does bottom out so much the tires rub the body.

Sweed
04-06-2009, 11:22 PM
I figured the suspension was supposed to be soft, but it's so soft that in a tight corner it will lower so much in the rear it raises a front tire. Sure does look bad-*** though.

I don't want to stiffen it extremely, but it does bottom out so much the tires rub the body.

The 'Pede did the same. Bet the slash looks way more bad *** though... Dunno why Traxxas makes it soft from the factory, guess a soft car is better than a hard car, might be easier on the chassis... I mean, traxxas' chassis are known to be pretty solid but shocks blowning.... I dunno...

Go a color or two stiffer, and heavier weight on the oil. Fairly easy change, takes less than half and hour to do.... And not too expensive...

Check out (spell check it first, or google it) Misbehavin RC for info on modding Traxxas's stuff on the cheap and for beginners. Good info over there.

Stampedekid
04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Sweet. Brushless is a total overkill. I run a Sidewinder 5700 on a 7 Cell nimh and it is a complete rocket! I hit speeds of over 50mph on my street and about 48mph on the grass and dirt with my Dirt paws on the rear. Ditch the stock tires though. With brushless the rears will go bald, lose traction, they don't have the best traction to begin with. Get a thicker oil in there. Be prepared to be breaking parts because brushless will cause parts to wear faster and break faster under extreme speeds. The 5700 is faster than the Traxxas VXL no matter what Traxxas Says. But it also runs hotter. A good brushless combo is the Castle Mamba Max ESC and either Fegiao 9L or Traxxas VXL Motor. But the Fegiao can handle up to 4S also the VXL only 3S. But have fun with it, its a very fun truck. And remember when you go BL its very easy to waterproof it. Oh and buy a Duratrax Onyx 230. Easiest good charger I use. It may take a while to charge a pack but unless its a LiFe pack or A123 then no battery will get a full charge in 15 minutes for these bad boys. The Onyx 230 can do NiMH, NiCd, LiPo, Li-ion, and LiFe aka A123. And it has a 10 battery memory and is very easy to use.

ling427ttvette
04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Good god.

Bought myself a real nice charger today, a Dynamite twin peak charger. It'll charge two batteries at once, and can be hooked up to a car battery.

Charged up my battery, and took it for a run. Holy. Crap. It was great while it lasted, but the gears started grinding so I immediately shut it down.

Now I have to wait about an hour to get my allen wrenches, and probably won't be able to actually work on it until later tonight.

Any idea why the gears are grinding? Are they adjustable?

supraboi97
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
If it was like mine when I got it the motor was too close to the spur gear so the gear would strip easier. If it is there is just one screw on the back of the motor barely unscrew it and you should be able to adjust the gear mesh to where you want it.

ling427ttvette
04-07-2009, 06:08 PM
There's no screws on the back of the motor.. isn't it held in on the front by screws?

mustanglover
04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
cool and all but whats up with the hello kitty wallet??

supraboi97
04-07-2009, 09:12 PM
There's no screws on the back of the motor.. isn't it held in on the front by screws?

Whoops sorry wasn't looking at the truck when I wrote that but you just take the cover off the back where the spur gear is and there should be a screw either behind or a little beside the spur gear and that should be the one you need to change the motor position.

ling427ttvette
04-07-2009, 09:44 PM
cool and all but whats up with the hello kitty wallet??

I live with a woman. That should explain it all. :lol:

Finally got back from running around, eating BK now.. going to rip into it when I get done eating and test run it. Hopefully they aren't stripped horribly and need replaced. I'll be ****ed.

supraboi97
04-07-2009, 09:50 PM
The good thing is though if it was the spur gear that got stripped they are normally 3 dollars. I stripped 3 in one week because where the engine was positioned. And didn't know what to do until the guy at the hobby shop saw me buy the same thing 3 times in one week and he told me what to do and it hasn't stripped yet.

ling427ttvette
04-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, the plastic gear was lightly stripped so I just tightened up the mesh a little and it seems like it should be alright. Had to charge the battery so I can't try it yet.

What batteries do you guys recommend? It's got 1500mAh right now, which isn't so bad with the quick charger.

I went to cheapbatterypacks.com and built a 3000mAh 7 cell setup and it was going to run about $35. Is that a good price?

Since my charger can handle two at one time I am thinking about having 3-4 packs of batteries. Obviously I wouldn't run all of them in a row though, poor truck would catch on fire. :lol:

Edit: This should be fine after I change the connector, right?

LONG Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/Venom-7-Cell-8-4V-3000mAh-NiMH-Battery-Pack-3000-mah_W0QQitemZ360145303103QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item360145303103&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)

Edit again: I just found a GREAT deal on some batteries, TWO 4500 mAh 8.4v packs for $40. Hopefully it's still going on Friday, I might get two orders of them.. would do it now, but better hold off so the old lady doesn't kill me with how much I've already spent on a charger and the truck itself.

ling427ttvette
04-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Just ordered those batteries. Earliest they should be here is by the 14th. Only got two for now, should be enough to hold me over since I have the one for it now also.

Did some body trimming as well, couldn't stand it that the tires rubbed the body at full compression on the front so that got taken care of. Also moved the shocks on the rear in a hole to give the rear a little more stiffness and adjusted the rear body mount up to the highest setting so there should be no more rub back there and it doesn't look like it's got 10,000lbs of weight in the back. :lol:

biggie862005
04-19-2009, 01:57 AM
The slash is a great truck, I love mine. I got 2 4500mah 7 cell batteries on ebay for like 50 bucks. pretty good deal IMO.

firebird999
04-19-2009, 10:11 AM
very sexy. makes my rustler look like crap, even though i know i'd beat you in a race (i'm already brushless :p). so yeah, i know it's waterproof and all, but i'm just curious how deep it can go before the water gets too heavy on it? do you think about 5-7 inches will be a big problem at all if i got one?

ling427ttvette
04-21-2009, 07:40 PM
very sexy. makes my rustler look like crap, even though i know i'd beat you in a race (i'm already brushless :p). so yeah, i know it's waterproof and all, but i'm just curious how deep it can go before the water gets too heavy on it? do you think about 5-7 inches will be a big problem at all if i got one?

Not sure.. I seen a video of a guy practically submerse his and then drive it again.. but as far as how much it will withstand while driving I don't know.. I hit some good puddles with it and didn't phase it really.

ling427ttvette
05-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Figured I'd bump this one for a small update.. I was running the Tamiya style connectors.. ya know, the not so good ones? I just got done slapping on some Traxxas high current connectors and the gain in acceleration in top speed was VERY noticeable. And I still got atleast 15-20 min doing mostly top speed runs.

Also, I need to get some video.. found a great place to practice high speed cornering on pavement, with some dirt in the corner.. oh god is it FUN. I have a feeling I am going to burn my tires up real quick with this corner.

Maybe this will tide me over for now.. I was soooooo close to ordering brushless today it's not funny. I've got the itch so bad. But, rumor has it my g/f and mom might split the cost of a Mamba 5700 system for my upcoming birthday. (May 11) Oh god I hope so..

Also, anyone have a spare female high current connector, or the little gold piece you solder to the wire, the letter B piece? That's all I need really.. somehow the one I had got lost. Grr...

Oh btw, it's 3:30 in the morning and I was out running my R/C.. is that bad? :lol:

Stampedekid
05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Figured I'd bump this one for a small update.. I was running the Tamiya style connectors.. ya know, the not so good ones? I just got done slapping on some Traxxas high current connectors and the gain in acceleration in top speed was VERY noticeable. And I still got atleast 15-20 min doing mostly top speed runs.

Also, I need to get some video.. found a great place to practice high speed cornering on pavement, with some dirt in the corner.. oh god is it FUN. I have a feeling I am going to burn my tires up real quick with this corner.

Maybe this will tide me over for now.. I was soooooo close to ordering brushless today it's not funny. I've got the itch so bad. But, rumor has it my g/f and mom might split the cost of a Mamba 5700 system for my upcoming birthday. (May 11) Oh god I hope so..

Also, anyone have a spare female high current connector, or the little gold piece you solder to the wire, the letter B piece? That's all I need really.. somehow the one I had got lost. Grr...

Oh btw, it's 3:30 in the morning and I was out running my R/C.. is that bad? :lol:
I'd say save some money and get the Sidewinder 5700. The MM 5700 is higher priced because for experienced drivers and modelers it offers tuning ability. Also beware the 5700 will produce a great amount of heat. I would say either get the Sidewinder 4600 or Mamba 4600, will save you time, effort, and heats. Check out my new thread of my slash! Also if your spur gear is stripped, replace it, the stuff behind the spur is the slipper clutch assembly. Stock I accidentally drove it into a lake upstate and drove back out, with BL I waterproof it before I go water bashing but my ESC did give off some magic smoke yesterday. No problem though, was waterproofed too tight with too much heat.

ling427ttvette
05-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, I've had a few people tell me that information AFTER I ordered the 5700.. :lol:

I'll definitely monitor my temps and see what happens. It seems if I stay in the 150 range which is still on the warm side, I should be good.

The guy at the hobby shop kept saying that I should use the ESC from the kit I ordered along with Traxxas's Velineon motor.. to be able to tune it perfectly, but the reliability of Traxxas with the motor and not having to worry about temps.