PDA

View Full Version : 1/18th Brushless?

fieldfairy2
03-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Well i have a Losi mini late model and have been looking into brushless.

I want to know my options for brushless.

I have ruled out Losi Xcelorin because they have been having some problems(goodfellaz is atleast) and possibly novak because they are really expensive(even though brushless is expensive) I have looked at the Castle Sidewinder micro, and micro pro, I am a little hesitant with T.O's vortex(because they are associated with losi). Any opinions or good options for the price. If i am not mistaken pretty much every brushless motor can be used with other brand esc?(just look out for Amp draws, and correct wiring.)

thanks.

Sweed
03-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Mamba.

fieldfairy2
03-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Well mamba is discontinued. It is now Castle Creations, which makes the sidewinder micro and micro pro, which both are said to be better than mamba.

Sweed
03-17-2009, 08:44 PM
So, go with Castle Creations.
Or, you can stuff a full size BL motor in there.

fieldfairy2
03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
The sidewinder micro or micro pro is my question at this point? I don't have the money for 1/10th or 1/8th brushless, if i did and i knew it would fit, i would consider doing it.

Donziikid
03-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Castle Creations is the father company; Mamba is just a subdivision of that company. Mamba housed all of the land based RC brushless systems while Pheonix and Thunderbird is for aircraft and while Hydra is for boating. The Mamba 25 is was Castle Creation's first take on land based brushless motors; since the Mamba 25, the Castle Creations Sidewinder Micro was invented. Unlike the Mamba 25, the Sidewinder Micro is capable of running brushless as well as brushed motors right out of the packaging; Mamba 25 required a firmware upgrade. To my knowledge they still manufacture and sell Mamba 25, but the Sidewinder is taking over in both 1:10th (Sidewinder) and 1:18th (Sidewinder Micro and the Sidewinder Micro Pro) scale platforms. Obviously, the Sidewinder Micro Pro is a step up from the regular Sidewinder Micro, but it is also a little bit more expensive ($159.95 over $129.95).

I run both Novak and Castle Creations products. I highly suggest both, neither of those two companies will let you down. Castle Creations is the less expensive of the two, so I would suggest them. But, you must know, with price comes quality. ;)

If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Kyle.

fieldfairy2
03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Very informative Donzii. Thanks.I believe they stopped making mamba but i guess they still make the 25's.

Novak is out of the price range. Which would you suggest, the micro or micro pro? I do race the late model at my lhs, and drive it at home. I am also guessing i can use other brand motors with the micro and micro pro(like most others, Novak) with other brand motors?

suicide_star
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
i have the eXcelorin in my mini T and it's a PITA to program, my friend's sidewinder is much more userfriendly and is about the same price

Donziikid
03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
RAWR! I hate Vista! I just had this nice post to submit for your an answer and POOF! Blue screen of death. Kiss my husmushshuckie, M$!

Mamba is still around; Mamba is Castle Creations whole land division.

I would suggest the Mamba Micro Pro (http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_micro_pro.html). It is a step up from the Sidewinder Micro (http://www.castlecreations.com/products/sidewinder_micro.html) and is a few steps ahead of the Mamba 25.

The Mamba Micro Pro is based loosely around Castle Creations Mamba Max; designed and used for their 1:10th scale applications. The Mamba Micro Pro has a hard shell casing, much like it's older brother the Mamba Max, the Sidewinder Micro does not have a hard shell casing. The Mamba Micro Pro also has a heat sink, which the Sidewinder Micro does not have. The Sidewinder Micro is loosely based around the 1:18th scale Mamba 25. The Sidewinder Micro is protected by a thin, clear plastic covering, which can easily tear (like mine is :lol: ).

The Mamba Micro Pro is $139.95 for the CM2042, CM2054, CM2068 motor/ESC combo and the Mamba Micro Pro is $159.95 with the CM2080 motor/ESC combo. The Sidewinder Micro is $119.95 for the CM2042, CM2054, CM2068 motor/ESC combo and the Sidewinder Micro is $129.95 with the CM2080. These figures are MSRP and typically do not fluctuate too far when it comes dealer to dealer.

For a meer thirty dollar difference you will notice a major difference in performance since the Mamba Micro Pro will run cooler due to the heat sink as well as it's larger size, making it capable of disipating heat that much faster. For thirty dollars, I'd save up and buy that one.

You are also able to run any sensorless brushless motor that the ESCs are capable to handling. I run a Dynamite C4 (9200kV) motor on my Mamba 25, and I know that's one of the fastest motors you can get for a 1:18th scale RC. ;)

Cheers,
Kyle.

skylinedriver
03-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Here's a link to Bishop Power Products http://www.b-p-p.com/product.php?productid=159&cat=39&page=1 The sidewinder esc/4200K motor combo starts at $89.95+S&H, and the sidewinder esc/8000K goes for $94.95+S&H. I've purchased from B-P-P several times and had excellent results. If you goes with a brushless set up make sure you have a good Nimh pack or Li-po. On a final note the Mamba 25 was replaced by the Sidewinder and the micro pro is a sidewinder with slightly better FETs, a plastic case, and a heat sink.

Here's a pic of my RC18 with a Micro Pro and the 8000K. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/skylinedrifter/DSC_0016.jpg

clintr79
03-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I had a mini t with the castle creations 6800kv sidwinder setup with a 8 cell elite battery and that thing was fast plus with the software up can hook it up to the computer and program for your driving style i got the system used for 60 off ebay.

fieldfairy2
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
lol donzii.

Thanks for all the info. I believe the sidewinder will be my choice, probably the micro pro. Thanks for all the help.

skylinedriver
03-18-2009, 10:08 PM
A quick reminder some Losi RTRs have an integrated ESC and receiver. Making the change to brushless would require purchasing a new receiver and controller.

fieldfairy2
03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I have the mini late model. It comes with 2.4ghz/ Spektrum/ DSM technology. Thanks though! that would have been bad, if i thought of that right when i got home to install it.

I am thinking of the Mamaba micro pro. My lhs has them for about the price of the micro, $118, i have a coupon and probably will get some money for the b-day.

Sweed
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Seriously. Shoehorn a 540 sized BL motor in your 1/18th...
http://ripper7racing.com/r7rforums/showthread.php?t=143&highlight=mrs4
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1923/img1305wc5.jpg

fieldfairy2
03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I can't really do that in my mini late model... There are some bars protecting the motor from being moved out of place in the back. The motor would hit those and probably the ground. Thanks for the link. Very cool.

Stampedekid
03-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Well if you are using a heavier RC, the MMP would be a better choice in my opinion plus with tons of tuning options, spend the extra bucks and skip the SW micro and get the MMP

fieldfairy2
03-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I have the money now to get my brushless. I am going with the mamba micro pro for the 1/18th (of course, lol). What all does it come with? i know the esc and motor, probably the software to tune it on the pc, what about the castle link usb thing? thanks guys.

skylinedriver
03-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I have the money now to get my brushless. I am going with the mamba micro pro for the 1/18th (of course, lol). What all does it come with? i know the esc and motor, probably the software to tune it on the pc, what about the castle link usb thing? thanks guys.

You have the first part right. The Castle Link is sold separately with the software. You can "stick program" the Micro Pro till you decide to get the CL. Then when you install the CL software, go to CC's website and download the 3.12 update. This update will allow you print out your set up.

Stampedekid
03-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Well I'm not sure if its the same on the other systems but on my 1/10 Sidewinder ESC there is no connector you choose your own for the battery pack so solder up your own connector, install, program, READ ALL MANUALS, and have fun with it. Programming is very easy I have done it on my Brushless Micro DT and Brushless Slash.

fieldfairy2
03-29-2009, 11:47 AM
You have the first part right. The Castle Link is sold separately with the software. You can "stick program" the Micro Pro till you decide to get the CL. Then when you install the CL software, go to CC's website and download the 3.12 update. This update will allow you print out your set up.
Thanks. I know about the stick program, just didn't know about the CL. Thanks for the info too.

Well I'm not sure if its the same on the other systems but on my 1/10 Sidewinder ESC there is no connector you choose your own for the battery pack so solder up your own connector, install, program, READ ALL MANUALS, and have fun with it. Programming is very easy I have done it on my Brushless Micro DT and Brushless Slash.

Looks like i'll need a battery connector:D, i forgot about that. Thanks.

THE EDJ
03-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Check out Tekin. I run their mini-rage system in my RC 18R. It's bomb proof, very tunable and fast. It's definately worth doing some research.

fieldfairy2
03-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Check out Tekin. I run their mini-rage system in my RC 18R. It's bomb proof, very tunable and fast. It's definately worth doing some research.

I will check them out for the future, but it is a little late for my late model;)

I went to my lhs sunday and ordered the Mamba Micro Pro with the 5400kv, i went with the 5400 for a good all around motor since i race indoor, and outdoor, a little change in gearing will make it run very well. I just need to pick it up tomorrow from the lhs, if their shipment comes(which it always does)